Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Mar 10, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #1,247 of 4,000
Got mine from them just last week! So far so good. Anyone know if there is a sampling rate limit on any of the outputs when using the USB DAC on Windows 10 through foobar2k?

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #1,248 of 4,000
Is there a real advantage to waiting for the R6 Pro to hit the UK for about £615 or just getting the standard R6 for £499? I'm sure it depends, so here's my use case:
To use as a large capacity portable DAC connecting to B&W Px via aptX-HD bluetooth. Use JRT Rocket Player and iSyncr via Google Play store to transfer ALAC files from iTunes along with ratings (the drop-dead must have feature) and playlists. I couldn't find any other DAC that had Android with either Google Play or Amazon store compatibility (required for the pro versions of JRT software), potentially high capacity and aptx-HD. It's to replace an iPod Touch which is beyond maxed out at 128GB. Onkyo and Pioneer DAPs have poor battery and no support for aptx-HD. AK DAPs have no support for Amazon or Google Play. Other DAPs seem to max out at below 200GB even with SD cards.
The R6 pro does look nice but it's pricey, not here yet and it looks like the "pro" improvements won't really affect how I would use this thing (I don't have balanced cans). But despite hours of reading I'm still not sure. I'm also up for any other suitable recommendations.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,249 of 4,000
Hi, would you mind telling me the date on the label stuck on the back of your device? I’m trying to check the date of manufacture.

Mine is 1-23-19 and I have the interference issues on the 4.4mm, and when near my phone.

As soon as I get a rma number I am sending mine back overseas. Just poor luck of the draw, since Nayparm has so many, without any issues .

It's a pain in the butt for this much $$, imo.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,250 of 4,000
Mine is 1-23-19 and I have the interference issues on the 4.4mm, and when near my phone.

As soon as I get a rma number I am sending mine back overseas. Just poor luck of the draw, since Nayparm has so many, without any issues .

It's a pain in the butt for this much $$, imo.
If if put my Pro within 3 inches of the left side of my iPhone I have interference . Also if I am within 4-5 feet of my router I have interference .if I turn my back to the router , no interference . Other than that , no interference in all the places I have the Pro . I don’t plan on having my Pro that close to my iPhone anyway and the router is an area where I have my desktop dacs .
So at the moment , I don’t think I have any big issue .

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,251 of 4,000
Is there a real advantage to waiting for the R6 Pro to hit the UK for about £615 or just getting the standard R6 for £499? I'm sure it depends, so here's my use case:
To use as a large capacity portable DAC connecting to B&W Px via aptX-HD bluetooth. Use JRT Rocket Player and iSyncr via Google Play store to transfer ALAC files from iTunes along with ratings (the drop-dead must have feature) and playlists. I couldn't find any other DAC that had Android with either Google Play or Amazon store compatibility (required for the pro versions of JRT software), potentially high capacity and aptx-HD. It's to replace an iPod Touch which is beyond maxed out at 128GB. Onkyo and Pioneer DAPs have poor battery and no support for aptx-HD. AK DAPs have no support for Amazon or Google Play. Other DAPs seem to max out at below 200GB even with SD cards.
The R6 pro does look nice but it's pricey, not here yet and it looks like the "pro" improvements won't really affect how I would use this thing (I don't have balanced cans). But despite hours of reading I'm still not sure. I'm also up for any other suitable recommendations.
Onkyo and Pioneer have DAPs with Google Store right out of box, but like u said, they had other problems. If you don't mind the trouble, you can also get an Ibasso DX150 then mod the system.

Alternatively, since you are mainly listening through Bluetooth, a cell phone with capable DACs, like LG G7 thinQ, may be a better option than R6 pro. It has four ESS 9218p DACs, up to date Android, and Apx HD.

OR, or, there r plenty of rumors talking abt a new iPod touch will be released this year. It's almost time!!!

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #1,252 of 4,000
Ibasso DX150 then mod the system, LG G7 thinQ,

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it. The issue I see with the ibasso is that it doesn't support the Play Store. I don't know if it can do Amazon's store, but it's the same price as the standard R6, so why would I choose that and struggle to get the software it seems I need to work?
The LG phone looks nice, but I do not want a phone and I do not want to mess with SIM cards. It's certainly cheaper than the R6 and R6 Pro.
The big question is still would the R6 (that has Android 8.1, Play and Amazon stores and apx-HD) be good enough and not worth the extra cash and wait for the pro model?

I'm still sore that nothing outside of Apple properly supports iTunes handy rating system.

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #1,253 of 4,000
Thanks for replying. I appreciate it. The issue I see with the ibasso is that it doesn't support the Play Store. I don't know if it can do Amazon's store, but it's the same price as the standard R6, so why would I choose that and struggle to get the software it seems I need to work?
The LG phone looks nice, but I do not want a phone and I do not want to mess with SIM cards. It's certainly cheaper than the R6 and R6 Pro.
The big question is still would the R6 (that has Android 8.1, Play and Amazon stores and apx-HD) be good enough and not worth the extra cash and wait for the pro model?

I'm still sore that nothing outside of Apple properly supports iTunes handy rating system.

To my knowledge you will still have to manually flash the original R6 to Android 8.1, which is as tedious as flashing the Ibasso DAP. I could be wrong though. Maybe Hiby has made it to OTA already.
IMO the original R6 is good enough. Certainly r6 pro is a better dap than r6 in quite a few aspects (amp, output impedance, etc.), but u won't benefit from them going bluetooth.

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #1,254 of 4,000
Onkyo and Pioneer have DAPs with Google Store right out of box, but like u said, they had other problems. If you don't mind the trouble, you can also get an Ibasso DX150 then mod the system.

Alternatively, since you are mainly listening through Bluetooth, a cell phone with capable DACs, like LG G7 thinQ, may be a better option than R6 pro. It has four ESS 9218p DACs, up to date Android, and Apx HD.

OR, or, there r plenty of rumors talking abt a new iPod touch will be released this year. It's almost time!!!
Hmmm LG phones don't have four DACs.
https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-quad-dac-explained-713587/

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #1,255 of 4,000
If you can find an original R6 factory updated to Oreo (new units are) that should suffice for your purposes.

Also, it might be worth checking out connecting the R6 to the speakers by line out cable and using HiByLink or TeamViewer to control it from as far away as you like using WiFi on a smartphone :ksc75smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 10, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #1,256 of 4,000
Mar 11, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #1,257 of 4,000

I prefer wired headphones over wireless. But knowing Bose QC35 ii and Sony x1000m3 are the 2 hot wireless headphones in the market right now, I did go to shop multiple times to try them with my r6 Pro. Strangely I would encounter short pauses no matter it is pairing with Bose or Sony, with the latter being more problematic. I can't tell if it is individual case, but I don't feel confident buying the r6 pro purely for wireless audio.

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #1,258 of 4,000
The R6 is a system. The Lg V30 is also equally good and has a phone accessory in addition to the quad DAC. The problem with Hiby boils down to laziness. They no longer answer tech comments about the pain in a.. R6 android update. It's not OTA, it's a pain. No help after sell with is company. But the Opus 2, a better device and on sale.

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,259 of 4,000
The R6 is a system. The Lg V30 is also equally good and has a phone accessory in addition to the quad DAC. The problem with Hiby boils down to laziness. They no longer answer tech comments about the pain in a.. R6 android update. It's not OTA, it's a pain. No help after sell with is company. But the Opus 2, a better device and on sale.
I had the LGV30 and it is not near as good as the Hiby R6 in sound quality. No close.

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #1,260 of 4,000
It looks like new R6's come with Android 8 already installed.
It doesn't look like Opus 2 is still available and has bad reviews and high price in the UK.

The bluetooth issues cuspess reported above are certainly concerning. The Bose headphones there don't support aptx but the Sony ones do, so that's not the issue. I haven't yet found similar complaints but I shall certainly dig further. I presume the same would apply to the R6 Pro as those related components don't seem to have change (I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back