Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Jan 20, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #527 of 4,000
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #529 of 4,000
We don't know how google play itself gets installed on the domestic chinese version right now yet do we? Can the guy who owned @davidmolliere 's unit before chime in? (Yes I know I'm the hiby rep... No I haven't heard anything official from them on this

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #530 of 4,000
Yes he is.. and I am still envy him.... @davidmolliere

Anyway, let's just hope the launch will be soon, but my guess is going to be after Chinese new Year, since now is holiday season there....

@Joe Bloggs nice to know you, just keep support on this thread, the best as you can...

well, if u compare R6 (no pro) with DX201, I still choose DX201, in term of SQ.... but UI, R6 is like smartphone... fast and smooth....
I've been doing a lot of A-B comparison between my R6 and cowon plenue 2 lately. I feel like comparisons between the r6 aren't useful out of the box, and it's useful to know exactly what settings you're using, or not using, when you do your comparisons. One of the hiby R6's greatest strengths is MSEB.

Stock sound of the R6 to plenue 2 isn't very close. The Plenue 2 is better at everything. With mseb engaged and tweaked to my liking, they are very close and I think I actually prefer the r6 for clarity and detail. This is with all the DSP options engaged on the p2 as well.

Are you using EQ or DSP options when you compared to the dx200?
Honestly, when I turn off EQ and DSP on the R6 it's.... Nowhere near as good as with them on.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #531 of 4,000
We don't know how google play itself gets installed on the domestic chinese version right now yet do we? Can the guy who owned @davidmolliere 's unit before chime in? (Yes I know I'm the hiby rep... No I haven't heard anything official from them on this
True!
I was merely suggesting when the R6 Pro is released internationally it would be able to assuming it plays nice with google play. I perhaps jumped the gun.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #532 of 4,000

Not sure @jmills8 did have time to install the PlayStore I think he spent just a little time listening so it had to be installed but I’ll let him confirm...

Build number displayed in system info is 1.1G

Code:
kernel version 3.18.71-perf (gcc version 4.9.x 20150123 (prerelease) (GCC)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #533 of 4,000
I’ll need more time to go over the comparison and do some A/B before the 1Z is sold which should be quick... also factor in the fact the R6 Pro is not burnt in those capacitors probably need some time to work at their fullest not to mention firmware is probably still under work. Note I am running 1Z on latest 3.01 firmware.

Still, this disclaimer aside the very apparent things :
  • 1Z has the edge on depth and height soundstage wise, it’s more grandiose in that respect
  • 1Z has more body and weight, it’s overall thicker especially in the mids
  • 1Z has richer textures and warmer timbre
  • 1Z has better layering
  • 1Z sounds more “analogue” I know it’s hard to substantiate this but still... this being said the R6 Pro isn’t digital sounding either, it’s very smooth and natural.
But....
  • R6 Pro amp section is infinitely more powerful, it’s a no contest (and lineout is much better, stacking is great with R6 Pro tried with ALO CV5 and iDSD Micro BL) and this benefits dynamic range and headroom. R6 Pro amp section sounds like a good external amp really.
  • R6 Pro is more transparent, with better clarity : overall the sound is more airy and open while retaining good body and weight : nice balance there.
  • R6 Pro mids are cleaner and more articulate, less warm it’s a more neutral with slight warmth kind of mids. I also believe upper mids are less forward than 1Z.
  • R6 Pro has “meatier” bass, paradoxically as on the rest of the freq range 1Z is thicker (for example with some track R6 Pro sub bass is thunderous on the Solaris while it’s much less present with 1Z)
  • R6 Pro has smoother treble, that’s one thing often unsaid about 1Z it has a bit forward trebles, the R6 Pro is smoother
Of remarkable note is the ability of the R6 Pro to smoothen out sibilance, I have come to believe it’s both related to the DAC tuning and the amp section as well.

It was very apparent to me with JVC FW10000 that can go sibilant or harsh with other sources including 1Z : out of R6 Pro (no EQ, no MSEB) no sibilance whatsoever on the worst tracks. Great performance... I wanted to check if it was just the DAC or also the amp and when I plugged the R6 Pro to ALO CV5 and Micro BL with LO I could hear hints of sibilance very slight but there. Thus the amp section is also a factor there.

WM1A I owned a while back so hard to do... especially since I ran firmware 1.2 back then on the 1A. I think you can bet on them being closer to each other. Maybe someone can chip in there ?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write such a detailed answer!

:beerchug:

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #534 of 4,000
I've been doing a lot of A-B comparison between my R6 and cowon plenue 2 lately. I feel like comparisons between the r6 aren't useful out of the box, and it's useful to know exactly what settings you're using, or not using, when you do your comparisons. One of the hiby R6's greatest strengths is MSEB.

Stock sound of the R6 to plenue 2 isn't very close. The Plenue 2 is better at everything. With mseb engaged and tweaked to my liking, they are very close and I think I actually prefer the r6 for clarity and detail. This is with all the DSP options engaged on the p2 as well.

Are you using EQ or DSP options when you compared to the dx200?
Honestly, when I turn off EQ and DSP on the R6 it's.... Nowhere near as good as with them on.

When I demo this 2, just use what it is, no tweaking EQ or else, just using what IEM and SD card with flacs that I had, I used the existing player, like mango or Hiby music. So u are probably right.
At that time, based on my ear, I choosed DX201, although I didnt get it, because they hold my purchase due new model/version will coming out... And i didnt spend much time tweaking MESB.
Still i want to buy without demo ing, because some guys here alrd inform, and make me believe this R6 pro will work great with my gear, Hope it is true..

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #535 of 4,000
Not sure @jmills8 did have time to install the PlayStore I think he spent just a little time listening so it had to be installed but I’ll let him confirm...

Build number displayed in system info is 1.1G

Code:
kernel version 3.18.71-perf (gcc version 4.9.x 20150123 (prerelease) (GCC)
International version, all stock, as it came.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #536 of 4,000
Jan 20, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #537 of 4,000
I've been doing a lot of A-B comparison between my R6 and cowon plenue 2 lately. I feel like comparisons between the r6 aren't useful out of the box, and it's useful to know exactly what settings you're using, or not using, when you do your comparisons. One of the hiby R6's greatest strengths is MSEB. Stock sound of the R6 to plenue 2 isn't very close. The Plenue 2 is better at everything. With mseb engaged and tweaked to my liking, they are very close and I think I actually prefer the r6 for clarity and detail. This is with all the DSP options engaged on the p2 as well. Are you using EQ or DSP options when you compared to the dx200? Honestly, when I turn off EQ and DSP on the R6 it's.... Nowhere near as good as with them on.

I understand your point of view but I think it’s very hard if not impossible to make comparisons with any kind of EQ ON, even more so when on both devices... you’re bound to lack common reference with the majority of people.

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #538 of 4,000

PS. 2 screenshots are attached - R6 (left) and R6 Pro (right)

According to these screen shots of the original R6 & the R6 PRO (thanks for posting!), the WiFi Reception is much better on the new R6 PRO.

Can you please confirm this? Have you had any type of issues with the WiFi for any streaming apps or for music downloads, etc???

WiFi performance is very important to me.

I also hope they get this "DTA" SRC issue sorted out quickly.

Thank you!

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #539 of 4,000

Joe, do you actually even have a working R6 PRO unit (either Chinese or Int'l version) in your possession???

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #540 of 4,000
According to these screen shots of the original R6 & the R6 PRO (thanks for posting!), the WiFi Reception is much better on the new R6 PRO. Can you please confirm this? Have you had any type of issues with the WiFi for any streaming apps or for music downloads, etc??? WiFi performance is very important to me. I also hope they get this "DTA" SRC issue sorted out quickly.

My WiFi is strong which might affect things but I haven’t encountered any isssue (dropout, connection, bad reception).
There is a bit of EMI though, not like the original X7 of course rather marginal and not a concern in real use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back