HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Dec 15, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #482 of 6,622
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 15, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #484 of 6,622
Does it support media control from the headset? like double pressing the play button of the wire and skip the song etc?

Hello ying27,

Unfortunately not but there's a full set of play / next / prev button controls on the player itself you may activate any time.

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 15, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #485 of 6,622
Yes same sentiment here, the R6 was supposed to be the perfect DAP for me. Full Android support, DTA, Fast UI, excellent player (Hiby music), good enough battery life, very good output power, looks gorgeous. But then the OI is like throwing a wrench to a perfectly rotating series of gears. The link that Joe has posted was from 2002. That problem has been long resolved. Instead, we have to go back in that era and look at those workaround again if we want to use iems which are trending near 0 load impedance and increasing crossover points. If I get R6 I'm afraid I have limited iems I can use or go around hoops again to mitigate it. Not cool imo. Perhaps after the R6 Hiby would consider releasing a successor that has low OI. Not release asking for very low OI. Just in 1 - 2 Ohm range would have been perfect.
Is there proof that this is confirmed? My fav iems happens to be BA based and need very low OI. I don't really listen to full sized headphones out of DAPs.

If this is evidant, it's got to be truely the most rediculous for a DAP.

I'm all for a DAP at this pricepoint of the features that it comes with and if it can compete in sound quality at a Hifi level of the major TOTL out there, I'm all for it as it brings value down at earth level in terms of pricing, and for the masses to enjoy. DAP pricing are getting more and more exclusive to levels of disposible income aling with other gears which is unfortunate. Takes the enjoyment out of a lot of folks, and reduces numbers of potential purchases.

Same logic as yours:

DAP=my BA drivers being sourced from.

BA drivers have nonlinear impedance response needing close to 0 output impedance ACROSS THE WHOLE AUDIBLE SPECTRUM, NOT JUST A PORTION.

DAP = Not close to 0 output impedance = Cannot drive my BA iems properly

Therefore, not worth purchasing. Just a feedback.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #486 of 6,622
@SilverEars, here's the quote from @Joe Bloggs himself. Looks like the hardware is already final. So probably our best hope is to look forward to R7 or R6MKII. Hiby nailed it down imo in each important categories for a modern DAP except the OI.

The output impedance of the R6 is still reported to be 10 ohm by the engineering department. Looking at schematics there's a fixed resistor in the signal path of that value so the logic from which output impedance is derived seems pretty fixed and straightforward.

The output impedance is what it is. Low-Z earphones with impedance swings will have their FR "shaped" to some extent according to voltage division rules. The upshot of that could be beneficial or bad for any given pair of earphones depending on the earphones' tuning at 0 ohm OI (e.g. we could have a BA set sounding dull / dark at 0 ohms yet with an impedance upswing in the treble range; the 10 ohm OI would then brighten up the earphones nicely. The opposite can hold true of course).

As far as driving ability is concerned, the 10 ohms are there precisely so that the TPA6120A may drive the lowest-Z earphones without distortion or instability. So theoretically low-Z earphones work "well". Damping factor is a term to be reserved for damping of driver resonances; low-Z IEMs have no such thing but have ear canal resonances which are not treatable via damping factor. The technical issue that remains then is the frequency response change noted above. Consult your earphones' impedance response curve and frequency response curve. Do frequency response peaks meet with impedance response dips or vice versa? Therein lies the answer to whether the R6 can complement your low-Z earphones. No impedance response data? Take a roll of the dice--or take advantage of the advanced tone shaping functions (the MageSound 8-ball) to be added to the R6 exclusive version of HiBy Music.

Finally, one indisputable benefit of a bit of output impedance is that they make low-Z earphones less sensitive to the amplifier, which reduces amp noise. When an amp has 300mW on tap even at 32 ohms and the multi-BA low-Z IEM in question has like 120dB / mW sensitivity, this is no trivial matter. For example I was testing a FiiO E17K headphone amp (0 OI, 200-odd mW into 32 ohms) against the R6 with one such pair of IEMs. The R6 sounded brighter with said IEMs, I was ambivalent about the merit of this for said IEMs. But the E17K hissed. Not just a little bit, but quite noticeably even at minimum gain.

Well, that is all I have to say on the subject for now. Whatever you decide, I'll be here waiting, listening to some happy tunes on my R6 :)

With early seasons' greetings,
Joe

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #487 of 6,622
Joe,

I have a suggestion to consider for those that are unsure of whether to purchase/support the indiegogo campaign - how about adopting a no questions asked return/refund policy for anyone that commits now? That might pull in some that are reluctant for various reasons discussed throughout this thread.

Just a thought but would certainly show your/Hiby's confidence in the R6 and the declaration on indiegogo of "Worlds Most Advanced Android Hi-Fi Player"...

Cheers,
Tim

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #488 of 6,622
@SilverEars, here's the quote from @Joe Bloggs himself. Looks like the hardware is already final. So probably our best hope is to look forward to R7 or R6MKII. Hiby nailed it down imo in each important categories for a modern DAP except the OI.

So it's like either you take low oi with maximum bass and hiss or you take high oi with minimum bass and dead silent background. Of course all this is valid only in case of low impedance and high sensitivity iems. This is what i understood from that article you quoted.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #490 of 6,622
Woohoo!!!
I finally saw the rave review from HawaiiBadBoy I was expecting on YouTube and pulled the trigger on the beautiful stainless steel unit. My ears are not what they used to be (another aging boomer) and speed and features are more of a differentiator for me as I assume high quality sound and agree with HBB’s emphasis on the transducer for sound. Can’t wait until March!

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #491 of 6,622
Differences in output impedance are the same "changes" that happen when using different cables for headphones. It is a effective change of driver impedance. This is basically just a really long cable.

Also, since audio is a very subjective subject, ANY audio purchase is a gamble. You might like it, you might not. Dont let the high OI of this DAP scare you away. A lot of people will say its inherently bad, but it is not, just, different.

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #492 of 6,622
Woohoo!!!
I finally saw the rave review from HawaiiBadBoy I was expecting on YouTube and pulled the trigger on the beautiful stainless steel unit. My ears are not what they used to be (another aging boomer) and speed and features are more of a differentiator for me as I assume high quality sound and agree with HBB’s emphasis on the transducer for sound. Can’t wait until March!
As I'm an aging boomer just like you, and my hearing is not as sharp any more (can't hear a damned thing beyond 15kHz), I got myself some iems that have been specifically designed for people like us, and after rolling a few tips they are now perfect and sound beautifully, with a fantastic soundstage, so I thought of sharing this. Plus, being dual dynamic, they shouldn't be affected by high OI impedance issues. Here's the only review on h-fi: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/blue-ever-blue-2000ex.22694/reviews Tips used: Spinfit L

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #494 of 6,622
Differences in output impedance are the same "changes" that happen when using different cables for headphones. It is a effective change of driver impedance. This is basically just a really long cable.

Also, since audio is a very subjective subject, ANY audio purchase is a gamble. You might like it, you might not. Dont let the high OI of this DAP scare you away. A lot of people will say its inherently bad, but it is not, just, different.

I view this DAP much like a tube amp for a home stereo, and I think it's an apt comparison. A good solid state amp lets the speakers, or in this case IEM, sound like it's designed to sound without adding coloration. Tube amps, with their higher OI, color the sound. Some find this euphonic, others find it low fidelity and not true to the source material or transducer. The math and science clearly shows the latter to be the case. It may be a minor enough coloration that the other features and performance of the DAP as an Android device justify it to some. At this price, to me it doesn't.

I have several players that neither hiss nor suffer loss of bass with sensitive low impedance IEM's, and can drive Senn HD 600's with ease. I don't see a place for this player for me. I was very excited about this player until I saw the OI. If I were using it as a source directly driving my home cans, it would make sense, but I already have better setups for that. As a mobile source, I also have better options. Ymmv. The amp chosen for this device is over 15 years old, IEM designs have radically changed in that time. I like the way my IEM'S sound now, I don't want that being altered by a DAP.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #495 of 6,622
@Joe Bloggs @Hawaiibadboy I just wanted to know does mage 8 ball effect the sound of everything even tidal/Spotify/ and when used as a USB Dac? Also Can provide more info on the soundstage plugin.

The only issue I have atm is having to wait until March, saving the 120 on IGG is pretty good though, I have an Andromeda as well but I think if the Mage 8 ball works as well as it is reported too I don't mind EQ if I have,

I'm still stuck between this and the Sony NW-ZX300, I do not use tidal and Spotify so getting an Android-based player is not a key thing but the Hiby R6 REALLY HAS MY ATTENTION. I am still at an impasse regarding what I should get, I need to wait at least 2 more weeks before I can take the plunge on either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back