HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Aug 1, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #4,128 of 6,622
Has anyone tried using Synology apps, specifically DS Audio / AudioStation from Google store on the R6?

Is there an e-keyboard to type in for searching in Playstore and the like?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #4,129 of 6,622
I've found quite an annoying issue with my R6 recently. When wi-fi is on and it's loading something (app updating or starting of a new song on Spotify), I get very bad scratchy noises on my right side using balanced mode. Also happens if I have my phone right next to the r6. Any solution to this?

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #4,130 of 6,622
Which version are most of guys buying of the three different types? For me the Stainless Steel would be about $40 more. I haven't seen either of the aluminium ones in person yet so I don't know how different they look. Thanks.

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #4,131 of 6,622
Which version are most of guys buying of the three different types? For me the Stainless Steel would be about $40 more. I haven't seen either of the aluminium ones in person yet so I don't know how different they look. Thanks.
Are you going to be using a case of any sort, including the silicon one it comes with?? Because then it really doesn't matter. I honestly couldn't even tell you which color aluminum I own because it's constantly in a case....

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #4,132 of 6,622
Are you going to be using a case of any sort, including the silicon one it comes with?? Because then it really doesn't matter. I honestly couldn't even tell you which color aluminum I own because it's constantly in a case....
There is a significant weight difference. The SS weighs a ton and feels like a brick, which appealed to me. Much bigger differentiator than sppearance

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #4,133 of 6,622
I was thinking this same thing, which pointed me towards getting one of the aluminium versions...

There is a significant weight difference. The SS weighs a ton and feels like a brick, which appealed to me. Much bigger differentiator than sppearance
... But then I thought this exact thing too.

I usually don't worry too much about resale value because I tend to keep most of my gear but this is my first DAP and I suppose I would resell it if the next model is a big improvement or another great DAP comes out.

I'll just make a gut call when I pull my card out to pay for the thing. :)

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #4,134 of 6,622
Well, I’ve spent a few hours running through some tracks on my R6, with my new Empire Ears Hermes VIs - using the stock cable with a SE connection. But I must say, in terms of; pure resolution, detail retrieval, layering, and general air in the music: just WOW! These are a genuine step up from my UM PRO 50s - which I always liked. Definitely the serious aural improvement that I was hoping for though.

The one thing I will add is the overall balance of the sound signature feels a little bass-light, and treble forward - I’m guessing it’s mostly an impedance issue? The impedance rating on the Hermes VI is only 17 ohms, I believe. One thing I intend on doing is adding an Ares II 8-wire into the equation. Mainly because I want to get the most out of the R6 using a balanced connection. But I may have to add an iEmatch too...

Anyone with either first-hand experience of this manifestation of a treble-forward signature, or a combination of similar components would be greatly appreciated. Any thoughts?

Cool - if it's good now, it'll only get better !
That's alot of new gear that needs burn in and more importantly your brain needs time to adjust too. Just keep listening and enjoy the sound develop like fine wine.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #4,135 of 6,622
Heavily considering getting the R6... Tried the smartphone and IFI iDSD Nano DAC combo and it does really sound awesome but the bulk and extra device thing kinda putting me off some. Thinking I'm gonna send back the DAC and get the Hiby.

Anyone has that DAC and a smartphone (I'm using S8+) and could tell me if the HiBy by itself sounds considerably better than that combination? Also wondering if I would get strong bass on my Atlas direct out of the HiBy using Spotify (since I can't use eq) or if I may need to amp some.

Lastly, where is the R6 retailing? I really wanna hear it first but can't find anywhere with it in nyc. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #4,136 of 6,622
I just got an aluminum R6 which I snagged off eBay, with the few minutes I've spent with it so far I'm really liking it. I do have 2 quick questions though since I can't seem to find a manual.

Up in the android notification bar near the top right next to the battery indicator, when playing a redbook file I see 44.1k. When playing a 96K or DSD file it says 48k does that mean its downsampling everything to 48k?

So I use an iPhone 8 plus and paired the two together (but in the bluetooth menu it shows not connected), and paired in HiBy Music. Is there a way I can stream music from my phone (using Apple Music) and then have it play on my R6? I can control the playback through the HiBy Music, but I couldn't seem to figure out how to have the Iphone itself output to the R6.

Hi I’ve been checking this thread since I got has a quick demo R6 listen at my local shop. Really liked the sound signature and I thought it sounded quite close to my Sony WM1Z. I didn’t have the WM1Z for a side by side comparison then.

I probably won’t give up my WM1Z on SQ alone but I’m keen to have Tidal and Spotify especially on the go.

Saw the thread above and I’m also very keen to find out if I can stream Tidal and Spotify offline to the R6 (since it cannot store Tidal and Spotify offline as I understand). It will also be cool if I can stream the sound from YouTube or Netflix on my Ipad wirelessly to the R6. If this is possible then I’m very keen.

PS I had tried Chord Poly hoping it could fulfil the above uses but I had bad connection issues and that it requires a home network generally. BT also didn’t sound too good.

Keen to hear some thoughts on the above.

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #4,137 of 6,622
Heavily considering getting the R6... Tried the smartphone and IFI iDSD Nano DAC combo and it does really sound awesome but the bulk and extra device thing kinda putting me off some. Thinking I'm gonna send back the DAC and get the Hiby.

Anyone has that DAC and a smartphone (I'm using S8+) and could tell me if the HiBy by itself sounds considerably better than that combination? Also wondering if I would get strong bass on my Atlas direct out of the HiBy using Spotify (since I can't use eq) or if I may need to amp some.

Lastly, where is the R6 retailing? I really wanna hear it first but can't find anywhere with it in nyc. Thanks in advance.

I’d reckon that if you run it via the 2.5mm balanced, the power and drive is more than sufficient. I tried it during a demo powering the ALO Cascades - the bass was awesome!

It’s actually a very cool package (especially connecting to stream music) and I can see it easily replacing a lot of stacked sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back