HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jul 21, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #4,067 of 6,622
Sorry, the Martians are not MMCX...my mistake!

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #4,068 of 6,622
I just wanted to drop in and give a quick report here. I received my R6 a week ago. I ordered one from Amazon to be able to take advantage of the return policy if needed. After reading through the thread I was a bit leery about it.

After testing it out and using it extensively I can say that most of the issues people have reported on the thread seem to be resolved (at least on my unit). The main thing I was worried about was the reported wifi issues. On my unit the wifi appears to work as well as on my iPhone X. Both on 5g and 2g networks. My home is around 3200sf with the router positioned on one end of the home and my bedroom on the opposite end. I can connect to wifi and stream Tidal with no issues at all from this distance.

I also have no issues streaming Tidal. Tracks start quickly and gapless playback works well.

I have added music to the internal storage. Using Android Transfer from my mac was easy enough. Everything transferred well and scanned onto the device perfectly.

I have yet to add a memory card to the unit. I will be doing so this weekend. Hopefully that goes smooth. If it does I can say that i'll be thrilled with the unit.

I'm unsure if any hardware changes have been made to these newer units but if so, it appears Hiby has everything working very well. I'd be happy to answer any questions and will report back after I get an SD card and check all that out.

Chase
Thanks for the observations, glad you are enjoying it. I'll only consider purchasing it through Amazon at this point myself. Am anxiously waiting to hear your feedback regarding playing files with card. Or anyone else's... 400gb with over 25k files?

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #4,069 of 6,622
Can anyone confirm that the current "for sale" R6 models have any upgraded firmware? Has the firmware been upgraded since first introduced/delivered to original crowd funders? Has any other hardware or modifications been made since first production runs?

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #4,070 of 6,622
Thanks for the observations, glad you are enjoying it. I'll only consider purchasing it through Amazon at this point myself. Am anxiously waiting to hear your feedback regarding playing files with card. Or anyone else's... 400gb with over 25k files?

I purchased mine from Amazon (HiBy was the seller). So far, so good!.

I ordered a 400Gb SanDisk card when they went on sale for Prime Day. 370ish Gb free after formatting and I’m using about 270Gb, only about 4000 tracks though. No issues with the card at all. I mainly use Black Player but the HiBy app works well too.

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #4,071 of 6,622
Can anyone confirm that the current "for sale" R6 models have any upgraded firmware? Has the firmware been upgraded since first introduced/delivered to original crowd funders? Has any other hardware or modifications been made since first production runs?

Mine was purchased 2 weeks ago from Amazon. Initially I had a firmware update after unboxing, then a week later I got another firmware update bringing me up to v1.23 which I believe is the current release.

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #4,074 of 6,622
Does anyone have an opinion, or experience of good IEM pairings with a Hiby R6? Currently my IEMs are Westone UM PRO 50 - using an ALO Reference 8 cable in balanced mode. The IEMs I decide to go with would fulfill the following;

• Be a noticeable upgrade on what I already own.
  • Play well with the Hiby R6, using a balanced connection.
  • Also work well with my ALO Reference 8 cable, using MMCX connectors.

The models I'm considering vary in cost by quite a considerable margin, but ultimately over and above compatibility with the DAP and Ref 8 cable, I'm looking for the best bang-for-buck performers - so if the performance justifies the cost, then maybe I'll have to save a bit longer! My shortlist so far is;

• Campfire Andromeda
  • Campfire Vega
  • 64Audio A6t
  • 64Audio U12t

Cheers!

Check Empire Ears as well, last time I looked they were discounting previous geneation models. Very strong following on this board. Made in Atlanta, Ga., well known for superior service and products. I'm using Spartan IV's with ADEL MAMs and enjoy it very much with R6. I don't have impedance issues unless playing at very low volume, I don't use mine daily, more for travel and away from home.

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #4,075 of 6,622
Check Empire Ears as well, last time I looked they were discounting previous geneation models. Very strong following on this board. Made in Atlanta, Ga., well known for superior service and products. I'm using Spartan IV's with ADEL MAMs and enjoy it very much with R6. I don't have impedance issues unless playing at very low volume, I don't use mine daily, more for travel and away from home.
Thanks for the tip! Will check them out...

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #4,076 of 6,622

Can you tell me, are you using your Empire Ears on a standard 3.5mm stereo connection with the R6? I'm just a little concerned about low impedance; as I am currently using my UM PRO 50s with a balanced connection.

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #4,078 of 6,622
Can you tell me, are you using your Empire Ears on a standard 3.5mm stereo connection with the R6? I'm just a little concerned about low impedance; as I am currently using my UM PRO 50s with a balanced connection.
I'm using a Balanced PW Audio #5 cable, although next time I stick with Impact Cables. I just flew for 4 hours the other day and used R6 with Spartan IV the whole time. Not a perfect test beacuse of background noise, but no fatigue whatsoever - and I still have 65% battery - could have kept on going...
The Spartan IV was represented as being a neutral sounding IEM, but I think it's a little bit on the bright side. But non-fatiguing. Once your brain burns in it's spectacular and more resolution than I ever thought possible. Wouldn't do the MAMs again - they sound fantastic but I get membrane flop when I when I open and close my mouth and lose a good seal when flying.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #4,079 of 6,622
Thanks for the insight into your usage with the Spartans. I am looking into the Empire Ears Hermes VI - they have a good discount on it as a clearance item on their website. This would represent a solid upgrade on the UM PRO 50s I currently have. I'm of the understanding the de facto cable for the Empire Ears Hermes VI would be a standard 3.5mm stereo connection. I am happy to work with this initially, but would ultimately look to upgrade to a balanced cable. Esp considering the benefits of doing so with the HIby R6 - which has tangible benefits when using a balanced cable. If anyone has experience of the Empire Ears Hermes VI with a balanced cable, I'd be interested to know.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #4,080 of 6,622
Thanks for the insight into your usage with the Spartans. I am looking into the Empire Ears Hermes VI - they have a good discount on it as a clearance item on their website. This would represent a solid upgrade on the UM PRO 50s I currently have. I'm of the understanding the de facto cable for the Empire Ears Hermes VI would be a standard 3.5mm stereo connection. I am happy to work with this initially, but would ultimately look to upgrade to a balanced cable. Esp considering the benefits of doing so with the HIby R6 - which has tangible benefits when using a balanced cable. If anyone has experience of the Empire Ears Hermes VI with a balanced cable, I'd be interested to know.

Best ask on the Empire Ears thread, you'll get good help there. They'll want to know what your musical interests and EQ desires are as well. Also start a communication with Empire and tell them you want a balanced cable, they might have something. I only use balanced cables with the Spartans.

My own R6 experience has been very positive. I got mine in the 2nd Indiegogo batch in SS. I went with SS because I bought a new Shanling M3s and destroyed it on the first drop. Not happy about the glass back, but otherwise I prefer the solid feel of SS (even if it gets a bit warmer than Al). I play an assortment of files, redbook 16/44.1 through DSD64. I actually enjoy the HiBY App and haven't had any issues streaming Tidal HiFi over wifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back