HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Apr 5, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #2,431 of 6,622
I'm not going to comment on the FB user group post about it.

Hiby should respond to that one quickly before it gets out of hand...

It is just an mp3 player, but it's kind of interesting to see just how quickly people can turn on you when they think you're not being responsive or completely forthright. I think it's fully plausible there is a rational explanation, but others have already jumped to conclusions. It says a lot about a company how they handle things like this.

If there is a legitimate issue, put it out in the open ASAP. If there was an oversight/bad assumptions or whatever on IGG users parts, let people know. Right now they're assuming the worst, If it was done intentionally thinking nobody would notice? Honestly, nut up, apologize and say how it won't happen again and you'll get the IGG orders out ASAP or that future IGG/Kickstarter orders aren't guaranteed to be fulfilled prior to retail release.

Some won't believe you, but telling the truth will work the best.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #2,432 of 6,622
Jtuc7Ib.jpg
f2cf1d0a-d1d9-4136-aaf4-0f2b3f5114d0
dccB12N.jpg

Finally received the SS R6. It really is heavy. Initial impressions with Beyerdynamics Xelento are good. The sound is more detailed, vivid and dynamic than the dragonfly red I've been using as my daily driver.
Unfortunately the balanced 2.5mm 'Candy Cane' cable i got from Brainwavz is cutting out whenever the cable is moved. Will have to invest in a better one ..

Attachments

• IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #2,433 of 6,622
These are the ''merits'' of crowdfunding that I also highlighted earlier... I'm used to this and doesn't surprise me at all. Believe me there are far more negative aspects of this kind of game.

Personally, I don't mind waiting a bit longer if it's for good - a better quality control of my pledge.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #2,434 of 6,622
I can really understand the frustration of backers, it's a bit disappointing on Hiby's part, but the delay is miniscule to people who suffered through the Echobox debacle and other campaigns. The Explorer wasn't days, weeks, or months late, you can measure the delay in years! And Echobox had the opportunity to avail themselves of Joe's services and declined.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #2,435 of 6,622
This isn't a comment specifically about the R6, but why do people feel it necessary to post many, many glamour shots of DAPs or IEMs or other gear? Once I see that, I tend to dismiss both the device and the person posting them, it looks very very fishy. It seems like backhanded advertising disguised as fair posting. Especially when those same people, when the item has problems, use the argument that they never formally reviewed or recommended the item. It's becoming a real issue on here. Fire away at me.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #2,436 of 6,622
I was a early backer, and I for one was thoroughly impressed with how the order processing (and crazy fast shipping) was handled all the way to the US, perfectly. I rcvd updates, clear tracking and the packing was good also.

The device is now retail, and far more expensive than what I paid. It would seem folks would be happy that they are getting the device at a cheaper price (and Hiby is still honoring the lower price-nobody even does that anymore), all be it, that it requires a tad more patience than buying from penon. Crazy how quickly the internet can turn on you for doing a good job, and trying to honor lower prices. It's tough being a electronic business, I guess.

Most of the crowd funding cycles that I have been apart of, never ship on time. My device was shipped (and delivered) weeks before scheduled.

I will buy the R6 V2, that's for sure. Next time just make sure the impedance, is fixed like onthe R3, fix the hiby lnk access to smartphones (I could never get it to work), and maybe allow a root option (or at least a backup full stock rom).

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #2,437 of 6,622
That's the thing to remember, we will have had ours for a lot cheaper

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2,438 of 6,622
Jtuc7Ib.jpg
f2cf1d0a-d1d9-4136-aaf4-0f2b3f5114d0
dccB12N.jpg

Finally received the SS R6. It really is heavy. Initial impressions with Beyerdynamics Xelento are good. The sound is more detailed, vivid and dynamic than the dragonfly red I've been using as my daily driver.
Unfortunately the balanced 2.5mm 'Candy Cane' cable i got from Brainwavz is cutting out whenever the cable is moved. Will have to invest in a better one ..
Actually, I think you'all find that it's a faulty balanced port on the R6 rather than the balanced cable. I have the same problem and tested it with 4 different cables, all replicating the issue. I have DM'd @Joe Bloggs about the issue but have not heard back from him yet.

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #2,439 of 6,622
Actually, I think you'all find that it's a faulty balanced port on the R6 rather than the balanced cable. I have the same problem and tested it with 4 different cables, all replicating the issue. I have DM'd @Joe Bloggs about the issue but have not heard back from him yet.
Sorry to hear about your faulty R6. I'm actually sure it's the cable, the MMCX connectors are not connected safely. It's fine mostly, but if I move the MMCX connectors around it sometimes cuts the sound. It actually sounds very good when the cable is kept safely :).
T81e4fa.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,440 of 6,622
A lot of people seem to be having issues with the brainwavz candy cane cable, FYI. Don't dismiss that cable just yet. If you look around you'll see several people talk about bad connections with it on the b400 especially.

Also, my frustration is that in early February, when I became aware of the r6 and decided to order it, the only option was IGG. I figured the shipping date of March very well could slide. I know I'm "saving" $60. That's not my issue.

My issue is that it was portrayed as the only way to get it was IGG and it would get to you BEFORE it was available for retail. If they had a post saying that it'd be available via retailers before all the IGG orders shipped, I'm almost 100% certain I would have waited for it to hit penon as they're an established retailer who is a lot safer bet to get you a product than an IGG campaign. It'd be worth $60 to me to be able to hold a retailer like penon responsible for returns/refunds/shipping than to take the risk of an completely unguaranteed IGG "contribution".

But now, orders are locked and were stuck. We were told the focus is on the IGG orders, but now that doesn't actually seem to have been the case, so it's perfectly reasonable that people are asking for an explanation...

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #2,441 of 6,622
This isn't a comment specifically about the R6, but why do people feel it necessary to post many, many glamour shots of DAPs or IEMs or other gear? Once I see that, I tend to dismiss both the device and the person posting them, it looks very very fishy. It seems like backhanded advertising disguised as fair posting. Especially when those same people, when the item has problems, use the argument that they never formally reviewed or recommended the item. It's becoming a real issue on here. Fire away at me.
To each their own I guess. I personally valued the endless and awesome pics provided by @Hawaiibadboy when he had a review sample and we were months from receiving backer units. The feature set is so comprehensive that at first glance it seemed to good to be true, and his photos proved to me that at least the screen and build quality lived up to the company guidance. Confidence in this led me to believe that unit would be lightning fast with a very usable UI, which has since also proved true.

I do understand your cynicism though. Of all the reviewers here, some I read seriously while others I take with a grain of salt.

Apr 5, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #2,442 of 6,622
To each their own I guess. I personally valued the endless and awesome pics provided by @Hawaiibadboy when he had a review sample and we were months from receiving backer units. The feature set is so comprehensive that at first glance it seemed to good to be true, and his photos proved to me that at least the screen and build quality lived up to the company guidance. Confidence in this led me to believe that unit would be lightning fast with a very usable UI, which has since also proved true.

I do understand your cynicism though. Of all the reviewers here, some I read seriously while others I take with a grain of salt.

I read the quote you got there. He's on my block list so I missed it originally.

Back then when there were 40 non members viewing thread and 15 members....and I shouldn't photo bomb the SS beauty?

giphy.gif

Apr 5, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #2,443 of 6,622
I read the quote you got there. He's on my block list so I missed it originally.

Back then when there were 40 non members viewing thread and 15 members....and I shouldn't photo bomb the SS beauty?

giphy.gif
I stumbled on it completely by accident. I was weighing up a chord poly and was put off by its early issues. From there I discovered Hiby link which had the functionality I wanted, and from there I saw your photos of something I imagined would let me ditch the amp.

I still think Sony could have made the R6 years ago had they chosen to power the ZX1 appropriately and give it a card slot.

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #2,444 of 6,622
Quite

I think the term "hate" is a bit strong here. Frustation, sure, irritation and so on but not hate. At the end of the day it is just an mp3 player. Did think it was a little off announcing the R3 crowdfunding before the R6 project had been completed (and to be fair Joe did respond to that), and now the penon thing (has anyone actually verified that penon do have stock to ship? Maybe it's a chinese variation without google play installed or something?).
I just checked this morning and Penon had pulled the R6, possibly some emails between Hiby and Penon behind the scenes, or maybe I can't see it as I'm in the UK, fingers crossed I get my SS soon(ish) :)

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #2,445 of 6,622
Sorry to all for this problem.
1. We did not sell any R6's to Penon Audio.
2. The units for sale there are (were) in all probability the Chinese version.
3. We have demanded that they take the sales link down and as far as we know this has been done.
Regarding sale of Chinese version R6's,
1. We begin selling these even before the Indiegogo campaign started. At the time, the hardware was final but the firmware was incomplete beyond the extent we would even advertise at Indiegogo later.
2. Sales of units in China did and does continue to happen but we regarded these as beta units in firmware if not in hardware before IGG fulfilments began.
3. Even now, these units run a different Chinese firmware. Although it is possible to switch such units to display English and even install Play Store on them using a separate update package (available on request), even with such patches applied they will continue to be different firmware-wise from the international units. Such a difference cannot be eliminated by the user as there is no means to reflash the firmware out in the field...

And the most important question, regarding the distribution between units earmarked for Indiegogo and those for China,
1. We have shipped R6's to all original Backers (i.e. Backers who placed their order during the original backing phase.)
2. If you are an original Backer and have not yet received your R6, please contact joe@hiby.com directly.
3. We will post our progress to InDemand backers in a separate post here.
4. No international distribution of R6's will take place before we have shipped to all InDemand backers.
5. Chinese users / sellers have also preordered the R6 and we are fulfilling preorders from about the same time period for both IGG (InDemand) and China.

P.S. We do not like the fact that part of our units earmarked for (pre)orders in China were in fact rerouted to some dealer speculatively waiting for an international customer. We have and will continue to ensure that produced units reach the hands of actual customers immediately as much as possible.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back