HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Feb 2, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #1,126 of 6,622
Hum... according to this review: https://www.headfonia.com/review-hiby-r6/4/ the Hiby R6 barely manages to sound as good as the Sony NW-ZX2 while being used over its balanced output and sounds much worse while used over its Single Ended output (meanwhile the ZX2 is strictly Single Ended), this doesn't come anywhere close to my requirements in terms of sound quality, especially as I replaced my own NW-ZX2 to the much better sounding (which blows it entirely away when used over the balanced output) NW-ZX300, then there is also the fact that they use 2.5mm plugs rather than the (now de facto JEITA standard) 4.4mm plugs for its balanced output, it seems to me that a much better compromise is to use the NW-ZX300 USB-DAC feature or a DAC such as the PHA-2A along with an android cell phone if one expects to run streaming apps such as Tidal, sure it's not as compact but I carry both my phone and DAP with me at all time anyway, this way I would benefit from both the Android features and the much better sound quality provided by the NW-ZX300 (if you need a reference, its sound signature almost if not exactly identical to the NW-WM1A), it would also allow me to keep using my balanced headphones without having to purchase/use a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter.

If Hibby wants me as a costumer, it'll have to do much better, a snappy Android interface and a nice build quality aren't everything to a Digital Audio Player.

I find this interesting, all the reviews I'd read were saying it was amazing because of what it looks like and what technology it had inside. As yet nobody had properly reviewed the sound it made.

I purchased a Pioneer 300R recently and I'm very happy with the sound quality. However I'll still follow the Hiby with interest and see what other reviews are like in the future.

Like others have mentioned on here there is of course an element of sound quality vs value. Of course a £1200 DAP is going to sound better than the Hiby but it all depends on how much better and does the Hiby represent good value for money. :)

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #1,127 of 6,622
This makes no sense. Just plug into the 3.5 TRS socket on the R6, and listen to music... as stated, shorting TRRS to TRS will damage the player. The 2.5 TRRS socket is for a balanced connection/headphones only

Yeah I wish manufacturers would put something into their quick start guides, or user manuals about this. New users look at the 2.5mm socket and immediately think "I'll get an adaptor" and of course that won't work at all (or even worse damage the player).

It has to be a properly made balance cable connection.

I'm lucky I have a pair of IEM's with a balanced lead I can swap to. I don't have a pair of over ear headphones with a swappable cable but my Grado's sound so nice I'm not too worried about it :)

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #1,128 of 6,622
I find this interesting, all the reviews I'd read were saying it was amazing because of what it looks like and what technology it had inside. As yet nobody had properly reviewed the sound it made.

I purchased a Pioneer 300R recently and I'm very happy with the sound quality. However I'll still follow the Hiby with interest and see what other reviews are like in the future.

Like others have mentioned on here there is of course an element of sound quality vs value. Of course a £1200 DAP is going to sound better than the Hiby but it all depends on how much better and does the Hiby represent good value for money. :)

It's just stupid from the reviewer to compare a 1200 dollar DAP with a 600 dollar DAP.
The comparisons have to be made in the Fiio range and Sony 600 dollar dap.

And bad guy good audio reviews mentioned the great sound it makes.

And Joe reconed the difference between balanced and non balanced and they will look in to it.

I am confident the HiBy will sound great. I own the SMSL M8a DAC. With the same dac chips.. Which impressed me very much.

Only "concern" / wish i have is a whole system EQ possibility.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,129 of 6,622

Perspective is a funny thing. I read this review and it was a positive factor in my decision to buy the Hiby. IMO the ZX2 was/is a great sounding DAP, and I think the R6 is in very good company to be mentioned in the same sentence as the ZX2. Add in the better use ability, power to drive over the ear headphones (which I far prefer to IEM), and similar sound? All for less than the cost of a used ZX2? I’m in!!!

(I sold my ZX2 some months ago. Great DAP, just too weak for me!)

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,130 of 6,622
I think the R6 is in very good company to be mentioned in the same sentence as the ZX2.

Read a few posts back and it'll become apparent that it was an unfair comparison. An R6 with a balanced output was compared to the ZX2 which doesn't have a balanced output. An R6 with "conventional" headphones came off as being significantly worse.

To my mind, the R6 will turn out to be a good mid-range DAP, but won't trouble the big boys. I'd hazard to say that people who can afford balanced cans can also afford more up-market sources.

Having said that, I think the R6 will be a good test-ground for this new DTA architecture and show the way forwards in Android DAPs.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,132 of 6,622
Hmm. That's news to me and I stand to be educated.

I read up on balanced cables/headphones here https://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

And the FAQ section led me to believe that not all headphones are balanced. Photos of balanced headphone cables mainly involve honking great big plugs.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,133 of 6,622
Perspective is a funny thing. I read this review and it was a positive factor in my decision to buy the Hiby. IMO the ZX2 was/is a great sounding DAP, and I think the R6 is in very good company to be mentioned in the same sentence as the ZX2. Add in the better use ability, power to drive over the ear headphones (which I far prefer to IEM), and similar sound? All for less than the cost of a used ZX2? I’m in!!!

(I sold my ZX2 some months ago. Great DAP, just too weak for me!)

That's it really isn't it? Your ears are the deciding factor. We all listen slightly differently but also we listen to different things. So what one person likes could be different for someone else.

I read the full review on my lunch break and the general review is that it's an excellent DAP for the money. That's the important thing :)

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,134 of 6,622

I read up on balanced cables/headphones here https://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

And the FAQ section led me to believe that not all headphones are balanced. Photos of balanced headphone cables mainly involve honking great big plugs.

I'm not a complete expert on this but my assumption is yes any headphone, IEM, etc. can be connected via a balanced connection but it has to be wired that way. So to listen via balanced you need the correct cabling/connection arrangement.

The mistake that people seem to make is using a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor which is not designed for this purpose.

Here's a balanced cable using MMCX connectors for IEM's. 2.5mm Connection.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...balanced-cable-with-mmcx-connector-2-5mm-jack

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #1,135 of 6,622
Hmmm. Probably sounds more complicated than it actually is. I'm guessing that if my headphones have a 2.5mm plug, it won't be as simple as simply finding a balanced cable with a 2.5mm plug at both ends.

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #1,136 of 6,622
Read a few posts back and it'll become apparent that it was an unfair comparison. An R6 with a balanced output was compared to the ZX2 which doesn't have a balanced output. An R6 with "conventional" headphones came off as being significantly worse.

To my mind, the R6 will turn out to be a good mid-range DAP, but won't trouble the big boys. I'd hazard to say that people who can afford balanced cans can also afford more up-market sources.

Having said that, I think the R6 will be a good test-ground for this new DTA architecture and show the way forwards in Android DAPs.
Not for me, all my headphones are balanced :wink:

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #1,137 of 6,622

This great XLR plugs has a + and minus and grounding.

As we are listening on a DAP the grounding is not really important and also on desktop setups it is not really necessary. Unless you have a hum.

In a headphone there are two speakers with a + and - and instead of sharing the minus. Which is the standard. You are hooking them up just like your home speakers.

That's balanced.

And it's not perse sounding better. But you get more headroom, more power

Even a 9 dollar KZ iem can run balanced. Just change the cable.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,138 of 6,622
Seems fair enough. But for headphones where there's one socket (like my ON2s) that covers both left and right channels, it might work differently. For these, you'd have to assume that there's wiring inside the headphones that can deal with the separated signals?

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #1,139 of 6,622
Seems fair enough. But for headphones where there's one socket (like my ON2s) that covers both left and right channels, it might work differently. For these, you'd have to assume that there's wiring inside the headphones that can deal with the separated signals?

Yes but one wire doesn't mean it's not capable of balanced. But if there goes a TRS (three pin) plug in the headphone itself. Its probably not possible. But you can always DIY. By opening it and solder a capable socket etc.

Takstar pro 82 one wire. Balanced possible for instance. Insane great cans BTW.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #1,140 of 6,622
I hope none of us will need support form Hiby once the players start rolling out, I'm having a hard enough time getting them (him, I think it's just one guy) to respond to a Facebook message, never got a response for the emails I sent (3) and the ignore factor is real because Facebook shows you when they've read the messages. Just need help figuring out why I was charged but don't show my backing order on my IGG account. -- IGG is pretty useless as well, been trying to figure it out for weeks. If this is the kind of support we can expect before delivery, I can only imagine what happens if there is an issue with multiple players at the same time. I was very excited about getting this player, I was one of the first people to back the project but now I'm jaded and kinda' just want a refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back