HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Feb 1, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,111 of 6,622
Back from NAMM and... I have a lot to catch up on :sweat_smile:

I think someone asked Joe about streaming (probably because many DAPs have a problem with streaming services - that's my main problem with X5-3) and he answered that there were some problems but they were able to fix them by changing buffer size (if I remember this right). So I hope that's true as Tidal is my main source of music right now.

That is correct. There was a microstutter problem discovered early on that was fixed by changing the buffer size.

Hiby, as I understand it, was the OEM for other DAP manufacturers, either providing software, or hardware and software.

My wireless router is 3m from me, and yet only my Apple devices get a good signal. Every Android-based DAP I've owned has been rubbish when it comes to wireless. With the R6, holding it up in the air, I can get a good signal, but that signal plummets when I put it on my desk. So for streaming, it would ideally sit in some kind of dock that allows the back of the device better wireless reception.

What material is your table made of? I imagine the problem should be solvable simply by putting a book underneath your R6 :sweat_smile:

Testing facilities? The work has already been done. Just look at any hi end smart phone and copy it. These dap makers are cheapening out on crappie components. These should be nothing but phones that don’t make calls.

Well... I wish that were the case... if we took an S8 and nerfed the antenna, would you buy it as a DAP? :sweat_smile:

With the FiiO devices the EQ definitely only works inside the FiiO music app. That obviously holds too for ViperEffects. It's been raised a few times in the FiiO threads and has been confirmed by FiiO to be the case. I've tested it with the X7, X5iii and X7ii (although I don't own the latter so I can't retest if something changes).

Somewhere in this forum someone asked the same thing about the R6 and were told that presently it does not alter streamed apps but feasibly could and may well be implemented in a future update. I really hope this is the case as I'd love to tweak the EQ for my streamed services. Fingers crossed on that one.

This is correct.

Okay that's a bit of a shame.
And is it also the case with V4a?

@Currawong did you try 3rd party eq apps. To be working with Spotify Deezer Tidal? Especially V4A?

Or yet i guess the R6 is unrooted.
Leads me to the next question...do we get root access?

1. the R6 is unrooted out of the factory (of course)
2. V4A won't work on the R6 becasue it was designed to modify the sound going through the Android audio stack, which audio in the R6 doesn't go through. :thinking: Because of DTA. Any systemwide audio DSP would have to come from our end.

Well, I think it all depends on app developers at this point I suppose. HiBy created the platform with DTA (of course I assume that this platform works) and now devs need to use it in their apps. Joe wrote about it in this post.
If HiBy going to work with developers and vice versa I think future will be bright :wink:

As pointed out in that post, most apps can take advantage of DTA simply by flinging their audio unmodified to (what they think is) the Android audio stack. DTA will bypass it for them.

Hi guys, do you think R6 is powerful enough to drive sennheiser HD600 (300ohm)?

I'm looking forward a DAP for my IEM but also I'd love portability inside home with my HD600.

Thanks

Get a 2.5mm balanced cable for them and you should be all set to take advantage of the HD600 with max power from the R6.

@Joe Bloggs - any update with regards to the light bleed issue that caused HiBy to cancel early shipment plan?
Still waiting (im)patiently for my black R6....... :wink:

I will update you guys with the latest in a few hours. Still on LA time... :flushed: <the face of insomnia

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 1, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #1,113 of 6,622
I have 2 phones I just use as daps, mostly for streaming tidal, and always usb out to a dac... the LG V10 and V20. For streaming on WiFi they work great. My fiio X7 gen 2 WiFi is hit or miss.

What makes the R6 unique is the bypassing of android's audio resampling. Of course there are apps that can bypass android but that's only for listening to your music or if you use USB Audio Player Pro for tidal or network streaming. All other streaming apps get resampled, even if you usb out to a dac. I do this too. I have an S7 and output to a chord mojo. Listening to Spotify, the S7 upsamples it to 176 or 192khz (not sure here but the mojo button glows either blue or light purple signifying one of those rates). Wifi on the other hand is a different issue. I'm hoping the Wifi works well. The reviewers don't seem to have that much of an issue with it.

I heard LG's V series sound pretty good. If there was a way to bypass androids audio architecture in those phones, I probably would already have one. My S7 is showing its age and I'm looking at the R6 to replace the S7 for media. The S7 is going to be for talking, texting and social media until it finally dies. I miss user replaceable batteries :frowning2:

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #1,114 of 6,622
2. V4A won't work on the R6 becasue it was designed to modify the sound going through the Android audio stack, which audio in the R6 doesn't go through. :thinking: Because of DTA. Any systemwide audio DSP would have to come from our end.

And how likely is that it is going to happen??
Is it on the Roadmap of development??

Thanks and happy upcoming holidays.

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #1,115 of 6,622
I think I'm locked onto buying the HiBy R6. Is there any real benefit to buying the stainless steel version versus the aluminum alloy version? Obviously it's more rugged, but are there any other reasons to spend the extra $50?

Also, I had linked this earlier and was wondering if it would work with my regular 3.5mm headphones. They sell a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS version of it. Would that work, or would such a thing mess the DAP up? Thanks a lot for everyone's help so far.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #1,116 of 6,622
Also, I had linked this earlier and was wondering if it would work with my regular 3.5mm headphones. They sell a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS version of it. Would that work, or would such a thing mess the DAP up? Thanks a lot for everyone's help so far.

No, it wont work, but shorting the signal returns by plugging in regular headphones to a balanced adaptor could damage the player.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #1,118 of 6,622
I think I'm locked onto buying the HiBy R6. Is there any real benefit to buying the stainless steel version versus the aluminum alloy version? Obviously it's more rugged, but are there any other reasons to spend the extra $50?

As far as I'm aware, there's no sonic difference in the Aluminium/Steel versions of the chassis. You're just paying for extra weight and less dingability.

Currently, the Black Al version is being shipped first, so you're also paying for a later delivery date.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #1,121 of 6,622
I just ordered a black R6. This will be my first portable modern DAP. I will use it mostly at home with my Sony N3AP IEM, my Zen 2.0 earbuds and sennheiser HD 600 with balanced cable...

I truly hope the bitperfect playback from Spotify makes a difference.

Now the waiting game starts.

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #1,124 of 6,622
I’ve asked a few times, but @Joe Bloggs hasn’t commented on potential sonic differences. Sony and AK believe the ground material is very important to sound quality, and produce their best players in SS and/or copper. I personally went for the SS for this reason.

This makes no sense. Just plug into the 3.5 TRS socket on the R6, and listen to music... as stated, shorting TRRS to TRS will damage the player. The 2.5 TRRS socket is for a balanced connection/headphones only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back