HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jun 18, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #6,481 of 6,622
Thanks for the reply - it's good to have someone from Hiby responding.

I've read back over some of the prior discussions of this and I can see that people have been saying that there is audible distortion on the line out if the volume is turned too high. Is this likely to be accurate/ what would you recommend turning the line out volume to in order to avoid distortion?

I have ordered a basic R6 (not a Pro) which is currently arriving in the post.

Thanks!
Hi John,

As the maximum voltage that devices can take on their input varies, it is possible that a high line out level causes distortion, another good reason for having a variable line out.

It would be good if you can consult the manual of your equipment to be connected to the R6, to see what voltage it can take. The max line out voltage of the R6 is 2.1V .

Otherwise, one can certainly play by ear. At lower output gain levels, distortion is avoided while the signal level relative to the mostly fixed noise floor slowly decreases, however this is not a significant issue as long as you don't actually hear any background noise on your amp output in silent passages. (of course, whether this is the case also depends on the capabilities and the volume level of the amp you're using.

Best regards,
Joe
HiBy Music

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 19, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #6,483 of 6,622
Hi John,

As the maximum voltage that devices can take on their input varies, it is possible that a high line out level causes distortion, another good reason for having a variable line out.

It would be good if you can consult the manual of your equipment to be connected to the R6, to see what voltage it can take. The max line out voltage of the R6 is 2.1V .

Otherwise, one can certainly play by ear. At lower output gain levels, distortion is avoided while the signal level relative to the mostly fixed noise floor slowly decreases, however this is not a significant issue as long as you don't actually hear any background noise on your amp output in silent passages. (of course, whether this is the case also depends on the capabilities and the volume level of the amp you're using.

Best regards,
Joe
HiBy Music

Hi Joe... sorry to bug you again! I am trying plugging this into an amp which can take 30V in so no issue here. I can't immediately hear any distortion at 100% volume using line out. Is there any reason to believe that high volumes from line out would cause distortion? I'd rather just leave it on 100% if there's no downside, as this will mean the amp working less hard.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #6,484 of 6,622
Hi Joe... sorry to bug you again! I am trying plugging this into an amp which can take 30V in so no issue here. I can't immediately hear any distortion at 100% volume using line out. Is there any reason to believe that high volumes from line out would cause distortion? I'd rather just leave it on 100% if there's no downside, as this will mean the amp working less hard.
No, there should be no downside in this case--100% volume should give great performance if there's no risk of distortion.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #6,485 of 6,622
Thanks Joe. By the way, I looked earlier in the thread and you said you were considering abolishing this feature because it could confuse some customers (i.e. like me!) I would keep it if I were you - it's a good feature provided you explain in the manual or somewhere that the choice of volume is neutral when it comes to distortion.

Just to check - when you say "if there's no risk of distortion" do you mean "there is no risk of the DAC volume level causing distortion provided that your amp has a maximum input level safely above the 2.1v max line out voltage of the R6?"

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #6,486 of 6,622
Just to check - when you say "if there's no risk of distortion" do you mean "there is no risk of the DAC volume level causing distortion provided that your amp has a maximum input level safely above the 2.1v max line out voltage of the R6?"

That is correct.

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #6,487 of 6,622
Hi,
Just got the player and updated to 8.1 fine, but like others I can not get it to contact the ota server. Would anyone have the latest zip file for download so that I may do a local update? Thanks in advance

Update:
I was able to get it to work by tethering through my cellphone. Must be a route to update server that doesn't agree with my home network.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #6,488 of 6,622
Hi,
Just got the player and updated to 8.1 fine, but like others I can not get it to contact the ota server. Would anyone have the latest zip file for download so that I may do a local update? Thanks in advance

Update:
I was able to get it to work by tethering through my cellphone. Must be a route to update server that doesn't agree with my home network.
I recently purchased an r6 with 8.1 and version 1 of the firmware. I had tap check for updates serval times (20) for it to find the next version of firmware, it seems that it has to update the system sequentially so you can't just grab the latest update, you'll need the next 8 firmware updates to update to the latest version, it took me a few hours yesterday.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #6,489 of 6,622
r6 owners, I'm outputting the r6 into an external dac using the spdif connection, and I was expecting the source to dictate sampling rate, but it seems that any track I play(44.1khz - 96khz ) it's always outputting 48khz. My old Fiio x7 did not have this issue. Is it a bug that can be fixed in hiby music player? or am I missing a setting?

update
Looks like a bug in the hiby music player, using a 3rd party music player like the neutron player, the sample rate correctly switches appropriately with content. How does one file a bug with hiby?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #6,490 of 6,622
r6 owners, I'm outputting the r6 into an external dac using the spdif connection, and I was expecting the source to dictate sampling rate, but it seems that any track I play(44.1khz - 96khz ) it's always outputting 48khz. My old Fiio x7 did not have this issue. Is it a bug that can be fixed in hiby music player? or am I missing a setting?

update
Looks like a bug in the hiby music player, using a 3rd party music player like the neutron player, the sample rate correctly switches appropriately with content. How does one file a bug with hiby?
Did you enable fixed sample rate output in the HiByMusic player settings somehow?

To confirm, this is the multifunction 3.5mm port on the left of the top panel you're using to output S/PDIF via the 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable?

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #6,491 of 6,622
Did you enable fixed sample rate output in the HiByMusic player settings somehow?

To confirm, this is the multifunction 3.5mm port on the left of the top panel you're using to output S/PDIF via the 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable?

I did not select fixed sample rate, but somehow everything I play has a fixed sample rate output of 48khz. I can enable fixed sample rate, and manually change the output to 44.1 or 96khz, but when I unselect fixed, and play flacs I created at 44.1 or some hi res files I purchased at 96khz, they all ouput at 48khz. I'm using the included hiby digital coax cable to my dac. If I use the Neutron player instead of the hiby music app, everything works as intended, the follow sample rate in the neutron app alters the output sample rate according to the source.

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #6,492 of 6,622
I did not select fixed sample rate, but somehow everything I play has a fixed sample rate output of 48khz. I can enable fixed sample rate, and manually change the output to 44.1 or 96khz, but when I unselect fixed, and play flacs I created at 44.1 or some hi res files I purchased at 96khz, they all ouput at 48khz. I'm using the included hiby digital coax cable to my dac. If I use the Neutron player instead of the hiby music app, everything works as intended, the follow sample rate in the neutron app alters the output sample rate according to the source.
That sounds like you'd enabled / installed one of the EFOtech sound field enhancement plugins in HiByMusic. Did you? If they're not desired, can you go into the plugins page and swipe sideways on each of them to remove them from the system?

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #6,494 of 6,622
Hi Everyone, my r6 is having trouble powering on, I looked through the thread again since it's been awhile since I checked, but the solutions I found haven't worked.

Currently tried holding Power for 30 seconds and then 5 seconds to restart, no response from device. I've also tried Volume + and volume - with Power, and also with just + or - and Power, also no response.

Wondering if anyone has any other ideas, please keep in mind I have replaced the glass back myself and was still on stock firmware since I couldn't get Android 8 on.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #6,495 of 6,622
Hi Everyone, my r6 is having trouble powering on, I looked through the thread again since it's been awhile since I checked, but the solutions I found haven't worked.

Currently tried holding Power for 30 seconds and then 5 seconds to restart, no response from device. I've also tried Volume + and volume - with Power, and also with just + or - and Power, also no response.

Wondering if anyone has any other ideas, please keep in mind I have replaced the glass back myself and was still on stock firmware since I couldn't get Android 8 on.
Tried just leaving it on charge for a day or so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back