HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 17, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #5,341 of 6,622
Joe, is this a defective unit issue? I am having the same issue and am ready to return it.

If you're pushing up the sliders on the EQ and you're getting distortion, that's not defective. You're clipping. That's why he's suggesting you lower the preamp. Now, if you're getting distortion without any EQ, than that's another issue.

Jan 17, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #5,342 of 6,622
I can go to high gain but I cannot raise the amp in the eq above -5.5 without static starting and getting really bad above 0.
You're probably clipping. When you EQ, you want to put everything lower, then start raising things. You can do this by adjusting the first slider: Amp. I recommend putting this slider all the way down (to -12), then start messing with EQ frequencies.

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #5,343 of 6,622
You're probably clipping. When you EQ, you want to put everything lower, then start raising things. You can do this by adjusting the first slider: Amp. I recommend putting this slider all the way down (to -12), then start messing with EQ frequencies.

Tanks guys for all your help. As you can tell I am new at this, only had simple equipment tin the past. I am an old dog learning new tricks.

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #5,344 of 6,622
I can go to high gain but I cannot raise the amp in the eq above -5.5 without static starting and getting really bad above 0.
What are the rest of your EQ and or MSEB settings? For EQ, it is normal to require negative preamp if you have individual frequency sliders above 0.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 18, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #5,345 of 6,622
I usually do not EQ but I was taught long time ago when I first started on hifi, reduce preamp to same level of highest boost. Then slowly adjust to suit your taste. Thats if you boost one frequency by 5 db the preamp should go down 5 db to compensate.

Have fun.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #5,346 of 6,622
You are on Windows 10 so try this - skip step 1. Do not install Qualcomm driver (if you already install it, please uninstall it and restart computer just to make sure). Start with step 2. Connect R6 to computer, wait to see charging screen and then press "Power", "Volume +" and "Volume -" simultanously. Windows should detect and install correct Qualcomm driver. Then you can proceed to step three (make sure to check COM port) and it should update without problems.

@Yuurei , you nailed it, I have successfully upgraded to Oreo 8.1 finally after a week and three attempts !

For Window 10 users , NEED NOT to install Qualcomm driver, previously I installed the driver and it clashes with exclamation mark . I even go into UEFI settings to disable secure boot to install the driver ... So painful hard LOL , just follow step 2 and 3 will do .

Also thanks to @Joe Bloggs 'tips on press and hold both volume buttons before press and hold power bufton.

Welcome back Joe.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #5,349 of 6,622
Hey guys, I'm here again with some questions:

1. When using R6 as a USB DAC on PC is there any noticeable audio latency while watching videos? (I did not have such issue on my iFi Micro iDSD)
2. since R6 can be purchased now for around 450$~ is it worth waiting and paying 350$~ more for the Pro version? (I plan to use it with Campfire Audio Solaris and Hifiman Edition X). I mean does the R6 has any issue that is resolved in the Pro (besides output impedance) or it's just a better AMP'ed version with 4.4mm balanced? (I've read some issues regarding WiFi on R6 and I'm concerned about it)

Thanks again

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #5,350 of 6,622
my R6 arrived tooday.
what a great DAP!
already updated 8.1
wifi is good
sound has it's own character.. I like it.
not bright, well balanced, detailed and easy listening.
one thing I can advice to R6 owners is to go balanced :wink:
very very nice with grado rs1
so far so good.
will be back with more details.

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #5,351 of 6,622
After listening to my R6 I've decided I like it very much indeed.
I have the Chord Poly & Mojo and for convenience thinking I may change to a DAP.
I expected the R6 to be quite a drop in sound quality compared but I was pleasantly surprised, it's technically behind the Mojo in my opinion
but it's just so much of a fun listen.
I described my feeling in another thread. PolyJo, she's the head head girl, the swat in the class, conforming, doing most things just right, the R6 is more like the very talented challenging / rebelious kid at the back of the class.

I do like it, it's changed the sound signature of my Noble Encore a little, they actually appear more "v shaped". At first I thought how dare it, the more I listened and my mind adapted to the change the more I liked the change. I listen to a wide range of music from 30 Seconds to Mars "Echelon" though to Murray Perahia Goldberg Variations, I have a very broad taste, not quite so much pop.
The R6/Noble to my ears sounded great playing Echelon with that now punchy strong but not quite as tight bass, I've never heard the Nobles rumble quite like this. Proved to be the same listening to Max Richter Wolf works "War Anthem" I'm sure a couple of my fillings are now loose!
Same listening to Tom Raybold "The Machine", shivers time for me, what a fun listen, didn't mind this change one bit!
Top end change was not as pronounced to me, still perfectly acceptable, lost some detail and composure, a little more sensitive to ssss's, Eva Cassidy was just a tiny bit sibilant, didn't bother me.
Mids are a tad recessed as a result but not too much, again not enough to bother me at all.
The only thing I've altered so far, I've brought voices forward a touch in the Hiby settings, just a touch.
The Noble sounds more "holographic" to me which is partly the reason Max Richter and Tom Raybold sound amazing.
Ludovico Einaudi Elements "Ptericor and Night" sound pretty good too, not as detailed / precise and loses a bit of the tight control PolyJo has, the slightly holographic sound mucks about with "Night" a little I feel, still a good listen, just different.
Playing classical piano, Martha Argerich (my favourite Clasical pianist), Murray Perahia, Sokolov, Glen Gould (I can never block out his humming! Ha) I've been enjoying set to "tube amp". Again Mojo is better technically imo, R6 is still very nice and enjoyable I'm not complaining.

Hiby R6 has had the effect of forcing me to think about how I listen to music. I'm not analytical when it comes to music, I like what I like and can only describe in simple terms so apologies if I confuse some. I just hope you understand to some degree what I'm trying to express.

I think my affectionately named PolyJo is technically superior. R6 is just damned fun to listen to, I don't have the flexibility, (or the hair, ha!) I had in my 20's but it had me head banging, ok nodding and toe tapping!

Bloody good DAP, love it! ....

Now do I sell PolyJo. Being disabled it takes a long time to save for these luxuries, money's always tight. I'd be reluctant to sell PolyJo, after my replacement Poly it's performing spot on, exactly as it should, all of the time. If you've read the Poly thread you will know the issues folks have had at the start, I've done my fair share of moaning I can tell you, happy as a pig at swill time now! :) ....

The convenience and features of the R6 are hard to ignore, no phone required. I do a lot of hiking (it's not my legs that are disabled :), some long distance so it's very appealing to me. I could take my old cheap (and light, always a consideration when walking any distance) phone with incredible battery life and R6, what to do, must think on it.

Edit; ... Forgot to mention I have Focal Elear also. Noble Encore run on low gain volume level for me is mostly around 40. The Elear require high gain volume up to 85 depending on my mood. They need that drive, the Mojo drives them no problem. I've not listened for any length of time, I feel PolyJo does a better job both with drive and sonically, that is just a first impression though. I think I would certainly require a balanced cable for the Elear. .... They are mostly plugged into my home Marantz system, I don't particularly want to fork out for another good cable for them, I have a lovely Forza cable already.

After that waffle and if you're still here! .... A recommendation for an over ear (preferably) or on ear light portable headphone would be appreciated?
You have some idea of what I'm used to from the above.
I have some difficulty wearing in ears for any length if time. Love the Noble but would like a portable headphone for my hikes. I guess it'll be hard to find a good portable/foldable open back over ear, I prefer not to be fully closed in when I'm walking and my sensitive lugs would thank me. :)

Any recommendations? ..... 3-400 may just be doable.

Any thoughts on my R6 comments appreciated. .... Ignore my lack of technical expertise that lies elswhere, I'm frequently stunned by what you guys hear and your ability to analyse in such detail. ...... Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #5,352 of 6,622
I have the Chord Poly & Mojo and for convenience thinking I may change to a DAP.
I expected the R6 to be quite a drop in sound quality compared but I was pleasantly surprised, it's technically behind the Mojo in my opinion
but it's just so much of a fun listen.
I described my feeling in another thread. PolyJo, she's the head head girl, the swat in the class, conforming, doing most things just right, the R6 is more like the very talented challenging / rebelious kid at the back of the class.

I do like it, it's changed the sound signature of my Noble Encore a little, they actually appear more "v shaped". At first I thought how dare it, the more I listened and my mind adapted to the change the more I liked the change. I listen to a wide range of music from 30 Seconds to Mars "Echelon" though to Murray Perahia Goldberg Variations, I have a very broad taste, not quite so much pop.
The R6/Noble to my ears sounded great playing Echelon with that now punchy strong but not quite as tight bass, I've never heard the Nobles rumble quite like this. Proved to be the same listening to Max Richter Wolf works "War Anthem" I'm sure a couple of my fillings are now loose!
Same listening to Tom Raybold "The Machine", shivers time for me, what a fun listen, didn't mind this change one bit!
Top end change was not as pronounced to me, still perfectly acceptable, lost some detail and composure, a little more sensitive to ssss's, Eva Cassidy was just a tiny bit sibilant, didn't bother me.
Mids are a tad recessed as a result but not too much, again not enough to bother me at all.
The only thing I've altered so far, I've brought voices forward a touch in the Hiby settings, just a touch.
The Noble sounds more "holographic" to me which is partly the reason Max Richter and Tom Raybold sound amazing.
Ludovico Einaudi Elements "Ptericor and Night" sound pretty good too, not as detailed / precise and loses a bit of the tight control PolyJo has, the slightly holographic sound mucks about with "Night" a little I feel, still a good listen, just different.
Playing classical piano, Martha Argerich (my favourite Clasical pianist), Murray Perahia, Sokolov, Glen Gould (I can never block out his humming! Ha) I've been enjoying set to "tube amp". Again Mojo is better technically imo, R6 is still very nice and enjoyable I'm not complaining.

Hiby R6 has had the effect of forcing me to think about how I listen to music. I'm not analytical when it comes to music, I like what I like and can only describe in simple terms so apologies if I confuse some. I just hope you understand to some degree what I'm trying to express.

I think my affectionately named PolyJo is technically superior. R6 is just damned fun to listen to, I don't have the flexibility, (or the hair, ha!) I had in my 20's but it had me head banging, ok nodding and toe tapping!

Bloody good DAP, love it! ....

Now do I sell PolyJo. Being disabled it takes a long time to save for these luxuries, money's always tight. I'd be reluctant to sell PolyJo, after my replacement Poly it's performing spot on, exactly as it should, all of the time. If you've read the Poly thread you will know the issues folks have had at the start, I've done my fair share of moaning I can tell you, happy as a pig at swill time now! :) ....

The convenience and features of the R6 are hard to ignore, no phone required. I do a lot of hiking (it's not my legs that are disabled :), some long distance so it's very appealing to me. I could take my old cheap (and light, always a consideration when walking any distance) phone with incredible battery life and R6, what to do, must think on it.

Edit; ... Forgot to mention I have Focal Elear also. Noble Encore run on low gain volume level for me is mostly around 40. The Elear require high gain volume up to 85 depending on my mood. They need that drive, the Mojo drives them no problem. I've not listened for any length of time, I feel PolyJo does a better job both with drive and sonically, that is just a first impression though. I think I would certainly require a balanced cable for the Elear. .... They are mostly plugged into my home Marantz system, I don't particularly want to fork out for another good cable for them, I have a lovely Forza cable already.

After that waffle and if you're still here! .... A recommendation for an over ear (preferably) or on ear light portable headphone would be appreciated?
You have some idea of what I'm used to from the above.
I have some difficulty wearing in ears for any length if time. Love the Noble but would like a portable headphone for my hikes. I guess it'll be hard to find a good portable/foldable open back over ear, I prefer not to be fully closed in when I'm walking and my sensitive lugs would thank me. :)

Any recommendations? ..... 3-400 may just be doable.

Any thoughts on my R6 comments appreciated. .... Ignore my lack of technical expertise that lies elswhere, I'm frequently stunned by what you guys hear and your ability to analyse in such detail. ...... Cheers!

Another old dog learning new tricks! : )

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #5,354 of 6,622
PolyJo she's the head head girl...

Lmao sounds like PolyJo got the gooood good

For on ears I still use Sennheiser HD25’s because they double for monitoring for some light music production and gaming. These fully replaced AT M50x’s for me. The swivel on the left cup that’s designed to help cue and mix in tracks on a mixer is actually really convenient for leisure use too when you don’t want to be fully unaware of your surroundings. For me it’s kind of a portable no brainer for being indestructible, having replaceable cable, pads, headband, and also can be modded if you don’t like the sound out the box.

However, you mentioned comfort and I’ve had my current set for a year now and I definitely still can’t wear them for more than an hour with glasses on. Clamp force and is very strong. Also some people say the bass is boomy, doesn’t really bother me though. I listen to mostly electronic, soul, rap and rnb.

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #5,355 of 6,622
Thank for the recommendation. Clamp force would be an issue I think.
There is one on ear I've been reading about, but closed so not really what I'm after.
The V moda xs, light, low clamp force apparently but still quite stable. I'd be isolated though.
Tyll likes it, some other reviews too, one Chinese lad doesn't. Pity I live so damn far away from decent pro audio shops.
Anyone listened? ..... Looks darn cool too, (the white ones, nah couldn't pull that off!) black might attract the ladies! (just don't ok).... An old man takes what he can get, well almost!

I suppose it's debatable that with the music playing your isolated anyway. Degrees of isolation, im thinking on it.
Doubt if I'll find an open back over ear to use portable, bit of a contradiction really.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back