HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Feb 21, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #1,712 of 6,622
I wonder how much of a design change would be required to lower the Output Impedance and add a bit of shielding to prevent the RF signal interference. If HiBy could incorporate it into their manufacturing run without too much additional cost, I know I for one would pay to have my current player "upgraded" without having to buy a whole new player. Hey, it's almost "perfect"...(okay, see if the SD card slot needs fixing too). I would love to see the R6 upgraded to...say...an "R6a". Maybe make the upgrade optional for those that already have their R6.

@Joe Bloggs ...what do you think? Is it worth discussing with the engineers after everyone gets back from holiday..?

Cheers and All the Best!!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Interestingly, it appears Hiby understands this is an issue. The new R3, not yet released, will have a output inpedence down at 1.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,713 of 6,622
Finally picked up my SS yesterday. Haven't gotten much time to mess with it but initial impressions on sound and performance is pretty good. I'm glad to say that my Triplefi 10s that are supposed to sound terrible with the high OI doesn't really sound bad at all. It's a little more mid forward compared to its signature v shaped sound but overall I love it.

Now the bad... I am noticing radio interference when streaming using Wifi. Are you guys experiencing this?

The biggest issue for me right now is when switching between line out and headphone out, for some reason after using the line out, the headphone out significantly drops in power. Sounds like when connecting to the line out, the amp section cuts off (which it should right @Joe Bloggs ?), but when connecting back to the headphone out, the amp section doesn't turn back on. I'd have to restart the device to bring it back to normal. So for example. I'll start with listening to my IEM. I'll get to about 30-40% volume and it's adequately loud for me. Take out IEM, line out to external amp and still everything is ok. Then when I plug back into the headphone out, I can barely hear anything until I hit about 80-90% and the sound is dull and terrible. At this point it starts distorting already. Can you folks try this out and let me know if this happens to you folks as well?
Same thing happened to me after connecting my Fiio A5 to get my AKG K7XX a test with amp because they sound very low through the 3.5 output and I haven't gotten my balanced cable yet. After I disconnected the A5 and connected the AKG's to the R6 volume was extremely low. Did a restart and all back to normal!

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #1,714 of 6,622
I currently don't have any multi-driver iems so this is not something that could potentially affect me.

Problem is that I'm planning to stream from my NAS or Sporify over WiFi and if there is a high level of background hiss or audible interference, then it will definitely be a problem for my use case scenario.

Thanks for your input!
I don’t know how widespread this is. I stream over wifi from Amazon Music and can’t detect any hiss or interference noise. Completely black background for me.

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,715 of 6,622
Interestingly, it appears Hiby understands this is an issue. The new R3, not yet released, will have a output inpedence down at 1.
I know, but not everyone will want to jump on the R3. I like the R6...that's why I wondered how difficult or expensive it would be to change the R6 design during manufacturing. Maybe offer a trade-in or upgrade program as an option.
How much would that really undercut R3 sales...? Would HiBy take a big loss? Could they re-manufacture units that were traded in? I do realize that it might not even be feasible since I have no idea how widespread their domestic market sales have been, but improving their "Flagship" would be a real boon to customer loyalty.

Just a thought...

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,716 of 6,622
I don’t know how widespread this is. I stream over wifi from Amazon Music and can’t detect any hiss or interference noise. Completely black background for me.
Maybe it isn't a hardware issue after all... Software perhaps (like resource sharing or management)...?
Don't really know.

-HK sends

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,717 of 6,622
Thanks for the insight.
It would be very interesting to see a good number of user opinions with regards to streaming and possible interference.

I was ready to pull the trigger but if the issue is evident during streaming that's a dealbreaker for me I'm afraid.

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #1,718 of 6,622
Line Out is normally used to feed an external amp (like a FiiO A5 or E12) from the on-player DAC without going through the built-in amp at all. Using line out is supposed to offer a pure, un-amped ANALOG signal directly from the on-player DAC. If you use headphone-out to feed an external amp, you are literal amplifying the signal twice...and any characteristics of the on-player amp will be added on the the characteristics of the external amp which could add distortion to the signal, cause clipping, make the music sound overly colored.

Digital Out (S/PDIF, COAX, and/or Optical Out) on a player bypasses the DAC as well, just feeding the digital signal from the transport (player) side without processing the signal through the on-player DAC or amp.

Hope that helps...

-HK sends

Ahhh and so... I learn something new! As basic as it is. Im going to charge my cayin c5 up and test this out now with my b&w p7w's lol

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #1,719 of 6,622
Ahhh and so... I learn something new! As basic as it is. Im going to charge my cayin c5 up and test this out now with my b&w p7w's lol
Isn't that why we are here...to learn something? I've learned so much on this forum...including that this hobby/pastime/obsession can be addicting...AND...expensive! :ksc75smile:
Glad I could help!

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #1,720 of 6,622
Is that really so much of a problem after all in real life everyday use? Just wondering.

I currently don't have any multi-driver iems so this is not something that could potentially affect me.

Problem is that I'm planning to stream from my NAS or Sporify over WiFi and if there is a high level of background hiss or audible interference, then it will definitely be a problem for my use case scenario.

Thanks for your input!

The RF interference is only noticeable if you're in a really quiet room. The IEM that I hear it the loudest is my custom IEMS since those isolate really well. With my universals, it's still there but you have to look for the hiss.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #1,721 of 6,622
Idk guys. If I wasn't informed about the output impedance, I wouldn't have noticed a difference. I was expecting terrible things but all my headphones are still listenable, with the exception of my sennheisers. The R6 can't power them adequately and also the Audeze, the bass is kinda lacking but still decent for non bassy songs. Here's what I've got:

Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Reshelled (32 ohm)
Elecom hh1000 DD+BA Hybrid (24 ohm)
Grado Sr80i (32 ohm)
Sennheiser HD540 (300 ohm)
Sennheiser HD430 (600 ohm)
Audeze LCD-2 (50 ohm?)

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #1,722 of 6,622
The RF interference is only noticeable if you're in a really quiet room. The IEM that I hear it the loudest is my custom IEMS since those isolate really well. With my universals, it's still there but you have to look for the hiss.
Thanks for the input.

Could it be chasis material dependant? I'm just wondering if stainless steel has different conductivity or shielding than aluminium and other metals or even colors? It would be very interesting too see users comparing their ss and alu units for any possible difference in the level of background interference while streaming.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #1,723 of 6,622
Idk guys. If I wasn't informed about the output impedance, I wouldn't have noticed a difference. I was expecting terrible things but all my headphones are still listenable, with the exception of my sennheisers. The R6 can't power them adequately and also the Audeze, the bass is kinda lacking but still decent for non bassy songs. Here's what I've got:

Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Reshelled (32 ohm)
Elecom hh1000 DD+BA Hybrid (24 ohm)
Grado Sr80i (32 ohm)
Sennheiser HD540 (300 ohm)
Sennheiser HD430 (600 ohm)
Audeze LCD-2 (50 ohm?)

Had the TF 10s myself many moons ago. I remember it was a relatively sensitive iem and prone to producing hiss. If it's silent driven by the R6, it's definitely a good sign.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #1,725 of 6,622
Got my aluminum R6 a couple of days ago now and it's true: the android experience is much smoother than pretty much all of the more expensive players I've used to date and I've tried a lot because I'm a huge dap fan. I also agree that it sounds fantastic, I've listened to it with my JP1, Cascade, PM3 and various IEMs so far all sounded great and I'm impressed, so basically everything I expected from reading reviews and maybe even more. I am loving this player and I look forward to spending more time with it.

However I am having an issue that I can't figure out with Tidal streaming: the songs take about 5-9 seconds to load sometimes even longer. When listening offline to downloaded songs they load instantly. I checked with 2 others players and my phone to make sure my problem was not my connection and the songs loaded instantly or within 1-2 seconds on all other sources. - Has anyone else experience this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back