HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Dec 20, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,666 of 1,971
This device continues to surprise me with it's flexibility and feature set. The one I use more than I thought I would is as a bluetooth receiver. Nice feature for on-the-go movie watching from an iPad.

Anyone else find an iematch makes a big difference on the balanced output?

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,667 of 1,971
This device continues to surprise me with it's flexibility and feature set. The one I use more than I thought I would is as a bluetooth receiver. Nice feature for on-the-go movie watching from an iPad.

Anyone else find an iematch makes a big difference on the balanced output?
It will definitely make a change but also lower the damping factor like an inline resistor. It's not impedance neutral as claimed but if it works for you, there's nothing wrong with that. :relaxed:

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,668 of 1,971
It will definitely make a change but also lower the damping factor like an inline resistor. It's not impedance neutral as claimed but if it works for you, there's nothing wrong with that. :relaxed:
Most of my IEMs end up running on low gain, volume at ~35. With iematch I get mid range ~50 volume. Could be "just in my head", but I think this sounds better. I should get someone to do a blind test for me, see if I can really perceive a difference...

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #1,669 of 1,971
Most of my IEMs end up running on low gain, volume at ~35. With iematch I get mid range ~50 volume. Could be "just in my head", but I think this sounds better. I should get someone to do a blind test for me, see if I can really perceive a difference...
It very well might. Some IEMs benefit from a lower damping factor but if iem match was perfect it would sound exactly the same with a lower noise floor. There's really no advantage to a higher volume position on an R6. I believe the V control so completely non destructive and operates a constant impedance resistor chip before the amp stage.. I like it best in medium gain because like every player I've tried, it appears the damping goes down as the gain goes up and med works for me on this one. will change by what you're driving and what it prefers. Always made me suspect gain is done with feedback. Not an issue for how fast these circuits are but you can hear subtle differences. If it sounds a little tight and noise isn't an issue, you could also just try a higher gain.

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #1,670 of 1,971
Hi all!
I take up some reports already made by others.
On HibyMusic App it is not possible to browse the library of FLAC files on folders shared via samba or dlna ... any solution?

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,672 of 1,971
Hi all!
I take up some reports already made by others.
On HibyMusic App it is not possible to browse the library of FLAC files on folders shared via samba or dlna ... any solution?
Not having issues with any files in my network. See them both in network folders and served up.

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,673 of 1,971
I'm sorry if I'm so precise in asking: do you have FLAC files in a folder of a network hd and the HibyMusic app sees and reads them?
if yes ... where have I been wrong for a week?
thank you

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #1,674 of 1,971
I'm sorry if I'm so precise in asking: do you have FLAC files in a folder of a network hd and the HibyMusic app sees and reads them?
if yes ... where have I been wrong for a week?
thank you
No FLAC but untagged wav files are no problem via a few different server apps. Do you have a server pointed at the files? I doubt they're supposed to show or play without a music server. Beyond that, can't help.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #1,675 of 1,971
No FLAC but untagged wav files are no problem via a few different server apps. Do you have a server pointed at the files? I doubt they're supposed to show or play without a music server. Beyond that, can't help.
Thanks for your check.
The problem is with the FLAC files. For what I know is related to the MIME type of the FLAC files.
I have nearly 2TB of music library in FLAC... don't want to convert them anymore.
I tried every way: a simple samba sharing, a DLNA sharing, with or without a music server... but the FLAC are not seen by the HibyMusic App... while they're well managed by other apps. This is so strange and frustrating... mostly because all the others apps are ok.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,676 of 1,971
Thanks for your check.
The problem is with the FLAC files. For what I know is related to the MIME type of the FLAC files.
I have nearly 2TB of music library in FLAC... don't want to convert them anymore.
I tried every way: a simple samba sharing, a DLNA sharing, with or without a music server... but the FLAC are not seen by the HibyMusic App... while they're well managed by other apps. This is so strange and frustrating... mostly because all the others apps are ok.
Never heard of this before. Maybe there's something exclusive about the settings at the source or the server you're using.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #1,677 of 1,971
Thanks for your check.
Well I'll try to get tye team to look at this again, but also we did spend a lot of time trying to ensure that other apps sound as good through the R players as the HiBy app...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 20, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #1,678 of 1,971
Well I'll try to get tye team to look at this again, but also we did spend a lot of time trying to ensure that other apps sound as good through the R players as the HiBy app...
please see my post here too
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r6-2020-user-impressions.945843/post-16637199

didnt have much problems with samba other than connection issues, but dlna is hit or miss (see post for details). i ended up using minidlna since at least it can get the flacs, and i can play by folder, but not any other metadata options (all files, playlists, random, genre, etc) without a hard <1000 file limit (if at all)

forgot to add other players (neutron for example) and iOS/linux clients had no problem with dlna or filetypes. it's just hibyapp music player.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #1,679 of 1,971
I've had my R6 2020 for several weeks now. For most of my listening sessions it is mated to the 7hz Timeless. That is a heavenly combination. The pro's are too numerous to list. I know sound is subjective but the R6 is velvety smooth and lush to my ears. A clear upgrade in all aspects to my Hiby R3 Pro/Fiio Q3 combo which I really enjoy as well.

Dec 24, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #1,680 of 1,971
This is probably the 20th question I'm answering about R6 2020 + Andromeda's hissing today. Haha. Andromeda is like everyones favourite litmus test. Lol! 😅

Andromeda hissing from SE in Low Gain is so faint that you got to focus hard to hear it. 5 songs into my playlist at good volume and my ear ringing is much louder than the hissing. That's how low it is. Lol! Jokes aside, I can only hear it VERY faintly for a second or so when the I pause the song before the DAC goes on standby or in the rare song where only one instrument is playing (not all songs). I definitely don't hear it in busy sections of songs. In most songs, I perceive a nice black background with Andromeda plugged into SE too. Hissing is slightly more prominent through 4.4mm BAL in Andromeda but I personally don't use the balanced outputs for sensitive IEMs. I perceive almost no hissing in SE with Fibae7 (5.9Ω) or Craft Ears Four (10Ω), both low impedance and fairly sensitive multi-BA IEMs.

If you want me to test a specific song for you, let me know. Cheers! :D
Hey, maybe you can add some light to my concern after buying r6 2020 and andromeda 2020.
I found that andromeda sound very muffled if i use the phone out. Sound is very dark.
If i use line out sound is lot more neutral an natural, but highs tend to be too crysp at the point sometime its annoying.
If i connect andromeda ton other sources like phones it gives me more of the line out sound type also not annoying highs
Its my r6 that have a problem? It looks like an impedance problem to me.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back