HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Oct 19, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,576 of 1,971
Apologies if this has been discussed… how are people in the US getting the firmware updated on their R6 2020s? Or are they? I just perpetually get a pop-up message stating:

“Tips

Currently there is no network, please check the network status

Ok”

I have network status, and can browse, stream, etc.

The retailer advised me that this message is actually due to the HiBy server being in China, and the server is sometimes hard to connect to. Will I possibly have better luck in a few hours or tomorrow? How many hours/days does it generally take people in the US to get through to the HiBy server for an update? Or can we at all? If not, how does one go about getting current firmware on a HiBy device in the US?

Also, does it matter what the browser and homepage are set to? I changed it from the Baidu browser with default homepage to Google for both… when I learned the server was in China, I tried reverting to Baidu and default, then attempted the firmware update again, but still no luck…

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #1,578 of 1,971
Never had that popup, never had an issue updating the firmware in the US.
Wondering if it’s just my unit.

It also has a faulty glass back panel that arrived off-kilter and out of the machined lip/insert for it… I repositioned it and pressed it back down to get the adhesive to stick again, but then the device got warm downloading Amazon High Rez files, and the back piece came unglued again…

The good news is the sound is terrific. Just wish I could update the damn thing, and the glass back would stay on. Think I’ll exchange this one…

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #1,579 of 1,971
So guys, the retailer says folks have been having luck downloading the firmware to a computer and then copying it to the R6 2020 via USB link.

Unfortunately, the instructions HiBy released for this are in Mandarin, which I don’t speak, and the person who could translate for me just had to leave town for work.

Has anybody accomplished the firmware update in this way? Could somebody post step-by-step instructions for non-Mandarin speakers here? Would probably be very helpful for a number of people…

Cheers!

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #1,580 of 1,971
I am just full of questions nobody has the answer to apparently LOL.

Okay, here’s an easy one… on the R6 2020 there are four buttons on the left side of the case. The large top one is power/wake-up of course. Then below that are three identical smaller buttons.

The top and bottom of those are forward/back, but what is the middle one?

I ask because mine apparently does nothing. I’d assumed it would be Play/Pause, but now wondering if it is a customizable multifunction button, like the one on the Fiio M11 Plus LTD?

If so, how do I set it up? Can’t find any option for that in settings…

Oct 20, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #1,581 of 1,971

Okay, here’s an easy one… on the R6 2020 there are four buttons on the left side of the case. The large top one is power/wake-up of course. Then below that are three identical smaller buttons.

I ask because mine apparently does nothing. I’d assumed it would be Play/Pause, but now wondering if it is a customizable multifunction button, like the one on the Fiio M11 Plus LTD?

That’s the Play/Pause button.

Oct 20, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #1,582 of 1,971

When you say it does nothing, is that when you're playing local files in HibyMusic or a specific streaming app? Also, I assume screen is on when you're trying to use play button? I found that some apps don't respond well to play/pause button.

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #1,583 of 1,971
When you say it does nothing, is that when you're playing local files in HibyMusic or a specific streaming app? Also, I assume screen is on when you're trying to use play button? I found that some apps don't respond well to play/pause button.
I guess Amazon Music can be added to the list. And that, gentlemen, is the last straw for me.

Attachments

• BF8B3AEA-3E2B-4763-97C3-CC2960476B50.jpeg
    BF8B3AEA-3E2B-4763-97C3-CC2960476B50.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #1,584 of 1,971
I guess Amazon Music can be added to the list. And that, gentlemen, is the last straw for me.

This is not really a DAP problem but a 3rd party issue, and the same will be with R8, RS6, DX300, etc. If the middle play/pause button is broken, it will not work with HibyMusic or any other playback apps. These streaming apps and their updates are optimized for smartphones and keep handicapping DAP functionality :frowning2:

Oct 21, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #1,586 of 1,971
R6 2020 was reviewed by Animagus, not me. But I will put together a short follow-up, focusing mostly on comparison of R6 '20 to R6 Pro, R8, and I guess N6ii w/E02.

still waiting this comparison (e02 vs R6 2020)...

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #1,587 of 1,971
Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,588 of 1,971
Is anyone else having problems doing the OTA firmware download? The R6 is definitely connected to the internet and I've disabled the Pi-hole on my network, yet the R6 still errors out with, "Currently there is no network, please check the network status."

Why isn't there a manual download for the R6 2020 on the HiBy site?

edit: Finally, after clearing the update cache multiple times the update itself finally downloaded. Weird. Did that yesterday a few times and nothing. Did it today and one more clearing of the update cache kicked it into gear.

Me too “there is no network” also happend to me

Anyone have solution?

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,589 of 1,971
Hope this thread not dead... Is there any reason the 2020 would have less headroom that the pro? I have both and the volume on the pro is much higher than it is on the 2020. I checked gain everything else even rest both. Inspects the outputs the same did I get a bad unit?

Never mind.. found replay gain was on and set to -6 if no regain info on file. Still a little disparity (about 10 on 1 to 100 value scale), but I have headroom back!!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,590 of 1,971
Hello everyone!
Is there anyone else who is having pops /clicks issues listening to lossless downloaded albums on Apple Music?
Since I have a poor network at home, I download the albums when I'm at work but then, listening to them offline, sooner or later there is always a click / pop noise in every song.
Wifi and Bluetooth are off, I do nothing but select the album and play it and I also turn off the screen.
Any idea what to check? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back