HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Jun 20, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #631 of 1,076
So, using my R5G2 mostly just before I go to bed for an hour or so and have it set to auto power off after no activity.

I'm now on day 16 in economy/3.5mm usage without a charge and 69% battery left! Listening to a mix of own files, spotify offline and Tidal offline (volume ~40, low gain).

This DAP is awesone for not loosing/using battery life. I've had phones & DAPs that can loose power when off so when you come back to them empty.

Can't say how long I've played music as Hiby Music app only seems to show % battery use, not play time. Tidal showing about 2 hrs and Spotify not showing at all?

I'd say listening 75% with my FD7's, 15% K10U's and rest my SE846's.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #633 of 1,076
Also in Tidal sometimes the sound have glitch, stutter for half a second. Can stream with UAPP fix that ? Thanks.

Yes, I noticed some glitches too.
It happens in Tidal application.
My impression:
The glitch happens when I scroll the track manually or if I click "Next track" manually. It does not happen if Tidal app starts new track "naturally" (after the previous one is finished).
The glitch itself looks like Tidal app starts playback with lower bitrate (I can see it in the top of the screen and by looking at the colour of the led). But 0.5-1s later Tidal app switches to higher (Master) bitrate and playback shutters a bit at this moment.

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #634 of 1,076
"For best results between Class-A and non-Class-A, find out the optimal gain setting." - me :D

Was performing sighted A/B-ing between a same track on deezer and <redacted> using HD650, R5ii on high gain, Class-A. High gain because HD650. Can really hear the difference between the two, and makes me really wonder the need for one of the two services.

Switched to DUSK on low gain and did the same. Low gain because DUSK. And i wondered where did that very apparent difference went. Upped it to medium gain and voila it is there again!

I know setting it to high gain on DUSK will then make noise levels too apparent. So medium gain it is whenever I use the DUSK to get the full benefits of the Class-A amp.

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #635 of 1,076
My impression:
The glitch happens when I scroll the track manually or if I click "Next track" manually. It does not happen if Tidal app starts new track "naturally" (after the previous one is finished).
The glitch itself looks like Tidal app starts playback with lower bitrate (I can see it in the top of the screen and by looking at the colour of the led). But 0.5-1s later Tidal app switches to higher (Master) bitrate and playback shutters a bit at this moment.

Most players will cache at least 30 seconds into the track, and I imagine if you ask for the next track the players is going to need to load it. If the stream is coming in over wifi or 4G/5G I believe it would be a miracle if you didn’t hear a skip and a recalibration of the local connection… #jussayin

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #636 of 1,076
My impression:
For me it happen even while listen the music not next or pause track anythings.
But i will buy UAPP anyway to try if it fix it. Someone here said it fix the glitch problem.

Jun 21, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #637 of 1,076
I wish R5 Gen 2 had a volume rotator :frowning2: It's just easy with it than buttons

Jun 21, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #638 of 1,076
I got my Hiby R5 Gen 2 yesterday and I'm enjoying every bit of it only thing is once you turn on the class A mode you can't go back to non-class A mode especially for streaming Apps (Apple CD quality) cause the sound is so amazing especially the layering/separation of instruments and vocals with class A mode on but unfortunately Class A mode is a battery killer, yesterday I had listened maybe 4/5hrs (in between kept on idle too) and in that time it dropped from 80% to 30% hopefully it will improve as it is the case with Android phones.. somehow I felt the music played thru Hiby music app had more dynamics than CD quality songs streamed on Apple music.. probably because of compression format of ALAC versus the music I have is CD rip thru Foobar stored in AIFF format.. anyways very initial thoughts but the player is thoroughly enjoyable...

Could anyone pl tell me if there is a way to disable the double tab to wake up??, cause I remember this used to drain quite a bit of battery since CPU had to be kept awake (in idle mode) all the time for this feature to work..

Jun 21, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #639 of 1,076
Most players will cache at least 30 seconds into the track, and I imagine if you ask for the next track the players is going to need to load it. If the stream is coming in over wifi or 4G/5G I believe it would be a miracle if you didn’t hear a skip and a recalibration of the local connection… #jussayin
I would not mind additional delay before the next song starts (to cache it in high quality) instead of caching it in lower quality and starting playback in lower quality just to say "ooops, we need to cache it in high quality now" a moment later.
Probably snappier device would do it without anyone noticing but on this device the shutter is there.

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #640 of 1,076
I wish R5 Gen 2 had a volume rotator :frowning2: It's just easy with it than buttons
I won't buy a DAP with volume wheels, only buttons. Too easy to catch and under or over shoot and more flimsy (had a wheel break on a DAP I had).

I'd have tried a DX240 if ibasso didn't stick with wheels.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #641 of 1,076
My impression:
That's the unfolding happening. It's explained here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/r5-a-new-android-dap-by-hiby.912566/page-147#post-15610086

tl;dr: to preserve bit-perfectness we need to play PCM (which is what un-unfolded MQA is) at its native sample rate, which is different from the unfolded rate. MQA is a stream-coded codec, where what makes a file MQA rather than plain PCM is encoded within the ongoing audio data itself rather than the metadata. It takes reading a certain continuous length of audio data to ascertain that it is MQA. Hence, the jumps in output sample rate and the glitches, after seeking or track-skipping. Note, this is not a change in the *bit*rate, but the output sample rate only.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 22, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #642 of 1,076
So I've been using r5g2 for last couple of days and for my use cases it's really neat.
I have just one request for @Joe Bloggs , can we ask for some firmware update which will lower latency when r5g2 is used as a DAC with PC?
I'm using it with my PC @ home and for music listening and youtube the delay is not problematic (not as much) but for gaming it's a red light.
Can you guys at Hiby somehow lower the latency? Maybe additional mode with lower latency - if it requires some cuts in functionality.

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #643 of 1,076
So I've been using r5g2 for last couple of days and for my use cases it's really neat.
I have just one request for @Joe Bloggs , can we ask for some firmware update which will lower latency when r5g2 is used as a DAC with PC?
I'm using it with my PC @ home and for music listening and youtube the delay is not problematic (not as much) but for gaming it's a red light.
Can you guys at Hiby somehow lower the latency? Maybe additional mode with lower latency - if it requires some cuts in functionality.
Unfortunately I don't see this being possible anytime soon and probably requires hardware changes.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 22, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #645 of 1,076
The problem is that isn't not just a DAC but it's like connecting a computer to another computer. It's like you were to connect your phone to your computer and use the DAC inside the phone having a continuous connection to the computer, the phone and the DAC inside the phone. The interfacing adds latency.
Because it's a DAP I don't think they can fix this with firmware, every DAP I've had, has had this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back