HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
May 11, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #392 of 1,076
I am loving my R5II. I am not an audio reviewer so take this with a grain of salt. I sold my M3X to go for the R5II and am not regretting that decision at all. The only thing I miss is the slightly smaller size of the M3X. DAPs are about portability for me and I just don't like huge clunkers. I have previously owned Fiio M9, Fiio M11 Pro, Shanling M2X, Shanling M3X, Hiby R2, Hiby R3 Pro Saber, Hiby R5 Saber, Hidizs AP60, Hidizs AP80 Pro & AP80 Pro-X, Sony NW-A55. No complaints at all about the sound. Drives my HD650 beautifully (Class A mode, 4.4mm out). I am using it mostly with Moondrop Kato, Hidizs MS2, Thieaudio Legacy 3, HD650, HD599, HD569, and MSR7b. I am not overly picky about sound, but this DAP sounds as good or better (in some cases MUCH better) than any DAP I have owned. It is every bit as satisfying as the desktop units I have owned or currently own (Loxjie D30, Topping EX5, iFi NEO iDSD, iFi Zen DAC, Khadas Tone2 Pro, and a few others). It is definitely detailed/clinical as opposed to warm/smooth, but that's my preference. Makes it a perfect match for the HD650 (IMO). The Class A mode makes an audible improvement to my ears. I won't use it all the time though because it annihilates battery life. Side note - Does anyone know if it is bad for the device to use it while charging? I feel like I had a Shanling DAP that stated in the manual to not use while charging? Been wondering about this. Also I wish there was a plastic case. I'm not big on leather cases for my DAPs. Although the included leather case is not too bad. I'm sure someone will make a plastic case eventually. In any case, may be my favorite DAP yet, and I plan on holding onto this one for a while. . .
The UI can be a bit slow at times but that hasn't been a real problem for me. Using Neutron, UAPP, Poweramp, Tidal, & Nugs. Also tried it out as USB DAC from my computer via JRiver. No issues and sounded just as good as using it purely as a DAP. When I first turned it on, I had the issue which I believe some others mentioned above, where songs would randomly skip (2-3 seconds of silence and then resume). This was highly frustrating and made me nervous about potentially having to return it, but after a simple restart I have not have that problem again. Also, I greatly appreciate the inclusion of the 2.5mm port. I have many 2.5mm cables that I use with my AP80 Pro-X among other things and it's nice to be able to switch to the R5II without having to change the cable. Although I'm also really enjoying all the modular IEM cables coming out lately by Tripowin, Kinera, etc. Overall very pleased with this DAP. Attached are some pics.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8842.JPG
    IMG_8842.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8843.JPG
    IMG_8843.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8845.JPG
    IMG_8845.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8848.JPG
    IMG_8848.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8851.JPG
    IMG_8851.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
May 11, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #393 of 1,076
I am loving my R5II. I am not an audio reviewer so take this with a grain of salt. I sold my M3X to go for the R5II and am not regretting that decision at all. The only thing I miss is the slightly smaller size of the M3X. DAPs are about portability for me and I just don't like huge clunkers. I have previously owned Fiio M9, Fiio M11 Pro, Shanling M2X, Shanling M3X, Hiby R2, Hiby R3 Pro Saber, Hiby R5 Saber, Hidizs AP60, Hidizs AP80 Pro & AP80 Pro-X, Sony NW-A55. No complaints at all about the sound. Drives my HD650 beautifully (Class A mode, 4.4mm out). I am using it mostly with Moondrop Kato, Hidizs MS2, Thieaudio Legacy 3, HD650, HD599, HD569, and MSR7b. I am not overly picky about sound, but this DAP sounds as good or better (in some cases MUCH better) than any DAP I have owned. It is every bit as satisfying as the desktop units I have owned or currently own (Loxjie D30, Topping EX5, iFi NEO iDSD, iFi Zen DAC, Khadas Tone2 Pro, and a few others). It is definitely detailed/clinical as opposed to warm/smooth, but that's my preference. Makes it a perfect match for the HD650 (IMO). The Class A mode makes an audible improvement to my ears. I won't use it all the time though because it annihilates battery life. Side note - Does anyone know if it is bad for the device to use it while charging? I feel like I had a Shanling DAP that stated in the manual to not use while charging? Been wondering about this. Also I wish there was a plastic case. I'm not big on leather cases for my DAPs. Although the included leather case is not too bad. I'm sure someone will make a plastic case eventually. In any case, may be my favorite DAP yet, and I plan on holding onto this one for a while. . .
The UI can be a bit slow at times but that hasn't been a real problem for me. Using Neutron, UAPP, Poweramp, Tidal, & Nugs. Also tried it out as USB DAC from my computer via JRiver. No issues and sounded just as good as using it purely as a DAP. When I first turned it on, I had the issue which I believe some others mentioned above, where songs would randomly skip (2-3 seconds of silence and then resume). This was highly frustrating and made me nervous about potentially having to return it, but after a simple restart I have not have that problem again. Also, I greatly appreciate the inclusion of the 2.5mm port. I have many 2.5mm cables that I use with my AP80 Pro-X among other things and it's nice to be able to switch to the R5II without having to change the cable. Although I'm also really enjoying all the modular IEM cables coming out lately by Tripowin, Kinera, etc. Overall very pleased with this DAP. Attached are some pics.

Are you noticing a difference in sound quality between class A and eco mode with your iems?

May 11, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #394 of 1,076
Are you noticing a difference in sound quality between class A and eco mode with your iems?

Yes. Nothing major but definitely identifiable. Notes have more substance and weight with Class A. When I switch from Class A to eco mode, I will immediately notice the change, but after a few minutes I guess my ears adjust and it is sounding just as good. So no big deal really. Where the Class A mode really shines is with higher impedance over-ears like my HD 650.

May 11, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #395 of 1,076
Yes. Nothing major but definitely identifiable. Notes have more substance and weight with Class A. When I switch from Class A to eco mode, I will immediately notice the change, but after a few minutes I guess my ears adjust and it is sounding just as good. So no big deal really. Where the Class A mode really shines is with higher impedance over-ears like my HD 650.
This same for me.

May 11, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #396 of 1,076
Spent much of day AB listening using:

Apple 3.5mm dongle with iPhone 13mini
Khadas Tea DAC/AMP with iPhone 13 mini
Hiby R5G2 economy
Hiby R5G2 class A

Settled on comparing with my Fiio FD7 Beryllium Dynamic and Tidal Masters using 3.5mm as other two don't have balanced. Repeat listing of some Gregory Porter and Harry Connick Jr.

So for me based on purely my own subjective preferences for sound quality in this test:

4. Apple 3.5mm dongle
3. Hiby R5G2 Economy
2 or 1. Khadas Tea
1 or 2. Hiby R5 class A

So on pure Sound.

Hiby is near dead silent backround while Khadas with SE846 reveals hiss even though its meant to be <0.3 ohm. Both fine with FD7.

Both sound excellent and similar with each having ESS DACs. Some tracks slightly more enjoyable on one or the other.

Hiby economic mode lacks impact, depth, clarity, richness, weight compared to Hiby class A and the Khadas Tea. Still perfectly fine if you value battery life.

Apple 3.5mm is pure neutral to me, clean, pristine but can lack some life or be a bit boring with some tracks.

Bass on Hiby a bit more kick than Khadas.

I only paid £120 for the Tea and £320 for the Hiby at early backer reduced price. Both are worth every penny and if you already have an iPhone 12/13 with MagSafe the Khadas Tea is amazing and one of best solutions for portability/usability with the iPhone. Works with Android too but its just designed to work perfectly with MagSafe iPhones, especially the mini (size match).

For pure ease of use, flexibility, price, sound quality, option of long battery life, all cable connections for SE and balanced in an all-in-one for the extra £200, Hiby is worth every penny.

Of course the iPhone/Tea combination is as smooth as silk in operation with OS and streaming App performance.

Hiby also has balanced so can drive more power and sound even better off balanced. Also more volume steps on Hiby.

You can stick a 1TB+ mSD card in the Hiby. You'd have to sell a kidney for that storage on an iPhone!

Two separate routes to excellent sound and reasonable prices. If you don't want a separate DAP and have an iPhone the Tea can match the SQ of the Hiby IMO with a great linking mechanism with MagSafe.

Photo https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...ime-mqa-16x-open-android.962816/post-16957530

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #397 of 1,076
Does the Hiby app support DSD upsampling?

I'm having difficulty getting DSD upsampling to work on any app, I have the paid versions of neutron, uapp, hiby, onkyo hf, power amp and I can't get DSD upsampling to work on any of the apps.

@Joe Bloggs

May 11, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #398 of 1,076
I wonder if the Class-A sound difference is due to software or actual hardware implementation. Like mentioned before I'd choose this option anytime I don't need the long battery life. Not a knock down on vanilla though.

Coming from hip-dac2, with it's more "musical", I kind of appreciate the clean (dry) source more, which I can then tune according to taste via output selection and/or EQ. Buyer's remorse maybe?

May 11, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #399 of 1,076
Nice review

This one is a positive for me, I won't buy a DAP with a volume wheel, want buttons

- Finicky volume buttons, i wished it was a knob
Its not thick for a DAP
All things being equal I like both a volume wheel and buttons. My Cayin N5II has a wheel which is nice for night listening.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #400 of 1,076
New firmware from Hiby

HiBy R5 Gen 2 international edition firmware update was just released!

Version 1.01G changelog:
1. Added the function of double tap to wake;
2. Added Lineout settings to the status bar;
3. Added icons of class A headamp mode and lineout status to the notification panel;
4. Added prompts that the device will restart after the HiBy Music app finishes upgrade;
5. Various other bug fixes.

The OTA update is available now.

Simply tap on Wireless Update in your app drawer while connected to the internet through WiFi to search for and install the new update.

May 12, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #401 of 1,076
New firmware from Hiby

HiBy R5 Gen 2 international edition firmware update was just released!

Version 1.01G changelog:
1. Added the function of double tap to wake;
2. Added Lineout settings to the status bar;
3. Added icons of class A headamp mode and lineout status to the notification panel;
4. Added prompts that the device will restart after the HiBy Music app finishes upgrade;
5. Various other bug fixes.

The OTA update is available now.

Simply tap on Wireless Update in your app drawer while connected to the internet through WiFi to search for and install the new update.
Of course it shows up right after I submit my review! Ah well, it's only making the device better :)

May 12, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #403 of 1,076
Is anyone having trouble getting DSD upsampling to work?

I'm gonna keep bringing it up till I figure it out or get an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back