HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
May 4, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #286 of 1,076
Has anyone tried testing headphones on the r5g2?

How is the power output for headphones?
I'm using the AK T1p via a 4-pin cable to 4.4mm adapter to the R5ii. Using Class A mode and Roon MQA Tidal tracks on Low Gain. Very good. Power is not a problem with this unit. Sound is like using a good headphone amp.

Comparing to my desktop rig w/a touch of a tube, well...back to reality. The sound is deeper, bass hits harder, blacker background, etc. The R5ii is insane for the money but it cannot compare to a really good desktop unit with a touch of tubes and... of course not; it wasn't designed to compete with that. It's designed to be a great mid-fi DAP and I think it succeeds.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #288 of 1,076
Just a tip for those who might not know.

I've had the R5G2 seem to freeze on two occasions on starting up, where it just seems to sit at the Hiby logo.

Hold power button in for about 10s and it seems to soft reset and then started OK. (I always power off after use)

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #289 of 1,076
One thing I've noticed about Streaming.

All I've tried seem to be bit-perfect as expected except Amazon Music which I think is a specific limit with the Android app. Even though it might show: Track Quality: 16/44.1 , Device: R5II 16/44.1 , Output: Wired Headphones 16/44.1 or say 24/96 for all three, it actually shows on Hiby top bar as 192K (and the HD colour Green).

This makes me think that anything lower than 24/192 the App itself must pad up to 24/192. So on Amazon Music its only actually a 24/192 source track that would be bit-perfect do to the app itself, not Hiby. Don't think it makes an audible difference though as your not loosing resolution of the source file.

PS I've only charged it once and listened a good few hours now and its still on 71% ! Seems to loose none or very little while off. (Mostly my own tracks with Wi-Fi off in economy with volume at ~30/100 via balanced).

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #290 of 1,076
Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #291 of 1,076
Another update from me on streaming.

Amazon App seems to be less stable and I have it show lost network or odd audio glitch live streaming on occasion.

Spotify & Tidal working flawlessly for me, as does UAPP and streaming Tidal.

May 5, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #293 of 1,076
Amazon always seems a little sketchy for daps. So I stop using it

I've got 1 year Amazon sub, just done the 90 day Tidal for £2 (again*) and I've had Spotify forever !

If Spotify had brought in the HD level at Christmas when they were meant to I'd likely not use any other (wife stuck to it and its podcasts).

* Must have had Tidal 4 years with constant free or low cost trials!

NOTE: In no way does Amazon Music sound bad/wrong on the Hiby.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #294 of 1,076
I've got 1 year Amazon sub, just done the 90 day Tidal for £2 (again*) and I've had Spotify forever !

If Spotify had brought in the HD level at Christmas when they were meant to I'd likely not use any other.

* Must have had Tidal 4 years with constant free or low cost trials!
Thanks for tidal trial info I just sign up and I’m in the States

May 5, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #299 of 1,076
I'll just drop these here:

IMG_8839.jpg
IMG_8829.jpg
IMG_8845.jpg

IMG_8848.jpg
IMG_8852.jpg

Class A mode comes in handy with planars from my limited experience, although I need to get an XLR to 4.4 mm adapter to properly test it.

May 5, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #300 of 1,076
One thing I've noticed about Streaming.

All I've tried seem to be bit-perfect as expected except Amazon Music which I think is a specific limit with the Android app. Even though it might show: Track Quality: 16/44.1 , Device: R5II 16/44.1 , Output: Wired Headphones 16/44.1 or say 24/96 for all three, it actually shows on Hiby top bar as 192K (and the HD colour Green).

This makes me think that anything lower than 24/192 the App itself must pad up to 24/192. So on Amazon Music its only actually a 24/192 source track that would be bit-perfect do to the app itself, not Hiby. Don't think it makes an audible difference though as your not loosing resolution of the source file.

PS I've only charged it once and listened a good few hours now and its still on 71% ! Seems to loose none or very little while off. (Mostly my own tracks with Wi-Fi off in economy with volume at ~30/100 via balanced).

I have several DAPs and Amazon Music plays at 192 kHz on all of them, so I agree that it's the app itself that must be doing that. It sounds good to me but it must be upsampling lower bit rates. Of course I would prefer bit-perfect. I suppose upsampling 48 kHz multiples probably isn't so bad at 192 kHz but 44.1 multiples not so much with the uneven samples...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back