HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
May 3, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #271 of 1,073
This might be me missing a setting, but has anyone had any issues getting the 3.5mm headphone connection to work?

Received my R5G2 this evening. Bluetooth works fine. Nothing through the 3.5mm, not even detecting it plugged in. Tried 2 different cables for my Hifiman and another few sets of iPhone in-ears.

Nada.
I’m hoping this is a setting anyway.

P.S. Tried factory reset, and just testing with the Hiby app but still nothing.
For whats it worth, mine just works as normal via 3.5, 2.5 or 4.4mm.

May 3, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #272 of 1,073
My unit arrived today. Lots of flexibility in defining how you listen/hear your music. I'm currently downloading some Tidal Playlists. It's my first DAP. Sounds better within 30 minutes of playing around than my dongles from an iPhone source and JDS Labs Atom Amp. The atom is louder but this unit is plenty loud. There's a nice, clear difference in delivery on MQA tracks and I feel the Class A amp engaged improves the sound stage fullness just a touch on some tracks and more on others I've tried. I have primarily DD IEMs and the only multi unit I have from KZ is not what I really want to end game with. Thinking I need to upgrade to a nicer IEM or full over the ear headphone for this. I've heard the ISN H50 is a nice TOTL set for 3 bills. Would like to try a Campfire unit but the reviews are all over the board on them. My Periodic Audio Be and C's sound good but here I am trying to find better. Chasing the rabbit. Love it!

May 3, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #273 of 1,073
This might be me missing a setting, but has anyone had any issues getting the 3.5mm headphone connection to work?

Received my R5G2 this evening. Bluetooth works fine. Nothing through the 3.5mm, not even detecting it plugged in. Tried 2 different cables for my Hifiman and another few sets of iPhone in-ears.

Nada.
I’m hoping this is a setting anyway.

P.S. Tried factory reset, and just testing with the Hiby app but still nothing.
Do you have anything else plugged into it at the same time?

If not, I think this is one for sending back :triportsad:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 3, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #274 of 1,073
Do you have anything else plugged into it at the same time?

If not, I think this is one for sending back :triportsad:
I had the same problem. It was playing but no sound. I was downloading a bunch of playlists at the same time. I pulled the top menu drop down and hit the icon one in from the right and music started playing immediately. Dumb luck because I have no idea why or what I pushed. Its that small circle with some A in it and some other 'graphic'. Dunno...

May 3, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #275 of 1,073
I had the same problem. It was playing but no sound. I was downloading a bunch of playlists at the same time. I pulled the top menu drop down and hit the icon one in from the right and music started playing immediately. Dumb luck because I have no idea why or what I pushed. Its that small circle with some A in it and some other 'graphic'. Dunno...
You switched it from the ESS built-in amp to the Class A amp. It seems there might be something wrong with the ESS chip.

May 3, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #277 of 1,073
I had it on the Class A amp very early on since I turned it on today. To my ears the Class A adds a more full sound and wider stage. Could be placebo but it's immediate to my ears.
I mean, the toggle in the dropdown you selected that started music playing is the toggle between Class A and built-in amp.

May 3, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #279 of 1,073
Has anyone tried testing headphones on the r5g2?

How is the power output for headphones?

May 4, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #280 of 1,073
For whats it worth, mine just works as normal via 3.5, 2.5 or 4.4mm.
Thanks for checking.

I have 2.4mm and 4.4mm cables right now but no IEM (IMR Dark Mater IEM - arriving later today). When I plug either of the balanced cables into the R5G2, it detects the connection and stops my Bluetooth playing.

When I do the same connection with 3.5mm, it does not detect the plug, or stop Bluetooth playing.

Such as shame I need to return it, as even using Bluetooth connection to my Hifiman Deva pro, there is an audible difference when comparing to my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 playing LDAC.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #281 of 1,073
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried both the class A mode switch, and the lineout mode from audio settings, but neither made any difference, The fact that the 2.5mm and 4.4mm are being auto detected suggests that my 3.5mm is dead.

Actually, my IEM`s turned up at lunchtime. Balanced works fine. it`s just the SE circuit that`s hosed.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #282 of 1,073
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried both the class A mode switch, and the lineout mode from audio settings, but neither made any difference, The fact that the 2.5mm and 4.4mm are being auto detected suggests that my 3.5mm is dead.

Actually, my IEM`s turned up at lunchtime. Balanced works fine. it`s just the SE circuit that`s hosed.
That stinks. I've had a few Android issues but I restarted the device and voila, works perfect since. I'm a low fi or mid-fi budget guy and right now I'm hearing some incredible sound coming from my DAP. In a few years I may go for a higher end unit but I'm really excited about my time with the R5G2.

May 4, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #283 of 1,073
How can this lower end ESS DAC using its integrated amp at this price point sound so good? (IEM usage only for me).

I can't fault at the moment and battery life is immense unlike the dissapointment with the ZX507 I had.

Need some more feedback/reviews to confirm my feelings and not just "new toy" syndrome. I'm prefering it to the M5III, M11, R3Pro, original R5 and even ZX507 I've had. Instrument/voice separation, sound stage all seem great. No hiss with my SE846's either even via balanced.

Not warm/smooth/musical as a high end Sony but thats known for its specifc signature. For 100% pure sound quality/signature I'd be choosing the 1ZM2 but thats like a Ferrari to Fiat price range comparrison so not relevant.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #285 of 1,073
Okay. First post on Head-Fi. Been a lurker on this board ever since it's up. As there's a lack of big website reviews and updates, this is the only place to peruse information about this product. For that it is much appreciated!

I feel obligated to contribute 😉.

I'm not a "serious" audiophile by any means. The 20-odd years of enjoying music have been on headphones and IEMs that is not more than 400bucks (self inflicted). Demise of headphone jacks led me to OG BTR3, Helm Bolt, iBasso DC05 (same chips!) and the hip-dac2. As much as I love the ifi beauty, I just got weary of stacking. Thus on a look out for a DAP.

Pre-ordered from a local café (awesome fellas!) almost a month before the YouTube "event". Had a quick audition there and at the price point, I guess the new R5 is the one.

Audio-wise (overall): if the hip-dac2 is velvety, the R5II is clinical. Like an impromptu live jazz in a bar vs the same band in a studio. I believe my impressions are similar as already detailed by others on this thread.

Audio-wise (Class-A): it's not night and day definitely. But personally it is significantly distinguishable. Same layered cake, same baker, same ingredients but somehow for the premium priced (i.e. battery drain) batch you have the sensations of the different layers crumbling in your mouth. Can get tiring (not in a bad way, mind) and more often than not a straight up pleasure is all one needs.

UI/UX: Coming from a Galaxy Note 20, the sluggishness is apparent. I use this as select playlist, press play and forget so this doesn't bother me much. Using the cover kinda flattens the right side control button, making it difficult to differentiate while in pocket; I turned off the functions while screen is off. Volume controls on the left is fine as there's only 2 buttons there vs 4. With regards to the EQ, with the help of info provided some pages back FR is easily adjusted (minor for me, at max +/-5 out of +/-100) to taste. There's OTA firmware update capability, but it's v1 is still current and there's no testing of that yet.

Battery: lasts as advertised.

Overall: no regrets; enjoying it as I'm typing this out. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back