HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Apr 28, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #181 of 1,076
I think with Amazon Music output is still padded upto 192kHz as that is shown at top bar even though in Amazon app its showing all three at say 96/24. Maybe a limitation of Amazon Music?

Update

Tried Spotify and that shows correct bitrate of 44.1 at the top.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #182 of 1,076
I think with Amazon Music output is still padded upto 192kHz as that is shown at top bar even though in Amazon app its showing all three at say 96/24. Maybe a limitation of Amazon Music?

Update

Tried Spotify and that shows correct bitrate of 44.1 at the top.
Amazon Music was borked as far as bit perfect went last time I checked. But that was a while ago.

Apr 28, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #183 of 1,076
Amazon Music was borked as far as bit perfect went last time I checked. But that was a while ago.
It works fine on PC bitperfect.

Also, at momemt Spotify is cutting out part way through song then just a click. Bugs with Spotify.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #184 of 1,076
Issues with both Spotify and Amazon Music at the moment 🤔

Think maybe wifi instability. Trying again after turning wifi off/on. Not done any offline tracks yet, just live streaming

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #185 of 1,076
Considering all the playing with it at the moment, battery life seems immense with class A amp off.

Not sure if WiFi and BT are conflicting to cause some instability. Since turning BT off wifi has kept stable for streaming.

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #186 of 1,076
Wifi still dropping. More testing tomorrow.

PS. I have high-end fast/strong ASUS router and Fibre 500 so never have issues normally.

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #187 of 1,076
I am still thinking of this piece. Should've jumped at the lower pricing...

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #189 of 1,076
Looks like mine (via Musicteck) is scheduled to arrive on Monday.

Apr 29, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #191 of 1,076
How much better does a good dap sound compared to say a W2 dongle or something similar? I don't care at all about having a stand-alone device just for a screen etc but I'll buy one if it has the best sound quality.

Apr 29, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #192 of 1,076
How much better does a good dap sound compared to say a W2 dongle or something similar? I don't care at all about having a stand-alone device just for a screen etc but I'll buy one if it has the best sound quality.
I have a Fiio BTR5 (~£100) and using that wired over its 2.5mm balanced connector is just as good SQ wise as this DAP to my ears. I actually sold on my Sony ZX507 when I got the BTR5.

Neither come close to the Sony WM1ZM2 but thats as you would expect with the massive cost difference. If all your after is excellent sound quality and low price, use a BTR5 fed from your Android phone or PC.

Best sound quality as you put it comes at a price. From devices I've had chance to own or use thats a Hugo2 DAC/AMP at around £1800 for headphones and for IEMs its now the £3300 Sony WM1ZM2 DAP.

If you hadn't heard this higher end kit you'd likely be perfectly happy with a BTR5 or Hiby R5gen2 and save yourself a fortune!

A DAP is as much about convenience and not being tied to external devices plugged into your phone. An old Samsung S5 phone has more OS speed than most cheap Android DAPs. Do not expect a fast user experience from the OS/CPU with the R5gen2.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #193 of 1,076
I have a Fiio BTR5 (~£100) and using that wired over its 2.5mm balanced connector is just as good SQ wise as this DAP to my ears. I actually sold on my Sony ZX507 when I got the BTR5.

Neither come close to the Sony WM1ZM2 but thats as you would expect with the massive cost difference. If all your after is excellent sound quality and low price, use a BTR5 fed from your Android phone or PC.

Best sound quality as you put it comes at a price. From devices I've had chance to own or use thats a Hugo2 DAC/AMP at around £1800 for headphones and for IEMs its now the £3300 Sony WM1ZM2 DAP.

If you hadn't heard this higher end kit you'd likely be perfectly happy with a BTR5 or Hiby R5gen2 and save yourself a fortune!

A DAP is as much about convenience and not being tied to external devices plugged into your phone. An old Samsung S5 phone has more OS speed than most cheap DAPs.
I have the BTR5 and really like it, but I feel like I'm not getting the most from my mest mkii with it. It runs my FH7s perfectly though. I'm looking at the Shanling M6 now but if there won't be a significant jump in SQ I don't see any reason to spend $700. What are some other upgrade options around that price for mobile listening that will produce real changes?

Apr 29, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #194 of 1,076
I have the BTR5 and really like it, but I feel like I'm not getting the most from my mest mkii with it. It runs my FH7s perfectly though. I'm looking at the Shanling M6 now but if there won't be a significant jump in SQ I don't see any reason to spend $700. What are some other upgrade options around that price for mobile listening that will produce real changes?
Not heard it but from others one of best DAPs for price/SQ/performance/build quality seems to be the iBasso DX240. I'm not a fan of volume wheels (prefer buttons) otherwise I'd have tried it myself by now.

Apr 29, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #195 of 1,076
Not heard it but from others one of best DAPs for price/SQ/performance/build quality seems to be the iBasso DX240. I'm not a fan of volume wheels (prefer buttons) otherwise I'd have tried it myself by now.
I've heard that too, but if I'm spending $1000 on a DAP + an amp module the SQ increase needs to be huge compared to say a W2 dongle. Hopefully some owners can chime in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back