HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,073

gLer

No DD, no DICE
Hey guys, in two weeks' time HiBy will officially launch their next-generation mid-fi DAP, the R5 Gen 2. As always with HiBy, they're breaking new ground with trickle-down (and in this case, unique) technology for the price tier. The R5 Gen 2, as far as I'm aware, will be the first DAP in its class to feature Class A amplification. It will also feature a high-stamina mode that offers up to 35 hours' of continuous playback.

HiByR5_2.jpg

The HiBy R5 Gen 2 officially launches on 15 April, so bookmark this page for the official release announcement, links to reviews (including my own), and ongoing impressions of this interesting new entrant to the highly-competitive portable DAP market.

Apr 1, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 1,073
Interesting. Class A power amp and battery longevity don't seem to logically go together...

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 1,073
Hey guys, in two weeks' time HiBy will officially launch their next-generation mid-fi DAP, the R5 Gen 2. As always with HiBy, they're breaking new ground with trickle-down (and in this case, unique) technology for the price tier. The R5 Gen 2, as far as I'm aware, will be the first DAP in its class to feature Class A amplification. It will also feature a high-stamina mode that offers up to 35 hours' of continuous playback.

HiByR5_2.jpg

The HiBy R5 Gen 2 officially launches on 15 April, so bookmark this page for the official release announcement, links to reviews (including my own), and ongoing impressions of this interesting new entrant to the highly-competitive portable DAP market.
I like that it includes a 4.4 and a 2.5.
Interesting. Class A power amp and battery longevity don't seem to logically go together...
Maybe they won’t and class A amplification will be a discrete circuit rated for a lower battery life.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 1,073
I like that it includes a 4.4 and a 2.5.

Maybe they won’t and class A amplification will be a discrete circuit rated for a lower battery life.

Yeah, maybe a ES9219 for battery life and an added amp for Class A. Just guessing of course. I did see that it will use ESS chips.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 1,073
Yeah, maybe a ES9219 for battery life and an added amp for Class A. Just guessing of course. I did see that it will use ESS chips.
Aha! Didn’t know it’s using ESS. I respect the hell out of the 9218 in my Qudelix, but for a mid-fi DAP to be competitive nowadays I’d lean towards dual 9068AS.

Apr 1, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 1,073
Does anyone know what chips will be in this? Don’t know where anyone saw ESS and that’s why I’m asking.

Apr 1, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 1,073
Does anyone know what chips will be in this? Don’t know where anyone saw ESS and that’s why I’m asking.

On Facebook (Hiby Music), it said dual ESS DACs, but no other detail.

Quoted:

"Riddle me this: which HiBy Music has dual 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced outs, Google Play Android 8, Snapdragon 425, dual ESS DACs and a ton of expectations following it?
Oh. It's also so brand new, it's not yet been announced. If the name is on the tip of your tongue, shout it out below:"

Apr 1, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 1,073
On Facebook (Hiby Music), it said dual ESS DACs, but no other detail.

Quoted:

"Riddle me this: which HiBy Music has dual 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced outs, Google Play Android 8, Snapdragon 425, dual ESS DACs and a ton of expectations following it?
Oh. It's also so brand new, it's not yet been announced. If the name is on the tip of your tongue, shout it out below:"
Sounds like the Android experience won’t get upgraded much over the regular R5/R5S.

Apr 1, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 1,073
Sounds like the Android experience won’t get upgraded much over the regular R5/R5S.
Agreed, Android 8 and Snapdragon 425 are disappointing at first glance. It's still 2019, I guess.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #12 of 1,073
Manufacturers are restricted to Android 8x below a certain SoC level. It's difficult to hit a lower price bracket with a more modern SoC, so lower-tier DAPs will be loaded with older Android versions by necessity. That's my reading of it anyway. On the flipside, if the price is right, more units will sell. So it makes sense from a business perspective.

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 1,073
Manufacturers are restricted to Android 8x below a certain SoC level. It's difficult to hit a lower price bracket with a more modern SoC, so lower-tier DAPs will be loaded with older Android versions by necessity. That's my reading of it anyway. On the flipside, if the price is right, more units will sell. So it makes sense from a business perspective.
Understood, but Snapdragon 425 is apparently capable of running Android 10. See Samsung Galaxy J6+ for an example I found with Google search.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 1,073
Smart of you @rlw6534 you called it, it’s a 9219C. The more I’d thought about it in the meantime, the more I thought your hypothesis was clever - what other chip could be used to get such a huge play time? It’s a smart design in that the DAC itself is killer, amping is where you can improve on the package with a dedicated circuit. Battery life through the optional class A will be closer to average presumably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back