Hiby R2, R3, R3 Pro radio.txt File - 226 Verified Stations including SomaFM, 181.fm, and more
May 10, 2020 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

MrNaturalAZ

Head-Fier
[Edit 4/13/2021 - updated file, adding "Radio Dismuke"]

[Edited 6/15/2020]

[Edit 9/12/2021 to add...] Also works with R2 and original (non-"Pro") R3!

One of the nice features, for me, of the Hiby R3 Pro DAP, in addition to being able to stream Tidal and Qobuz, is the "Custom Radio" feature. It's not too difficult to create a file with a handful of your favorites, assuming you can find the direct stream URLs, and they are compatible with the Hiby. There's an old-ish list floating around that's been shared on this and other forums, but about two thirds of the stations wouldn't play, or threw an error. Some because the stations don't exist anymore, but most because the URL was incompatible. The Hiby only works with URLs ending in .mp3 or .m3u8. Maybe they worked on the original R3 and/or an earlier firmware version? All I know is they don't work with my Pro on the latest firmware. Sooo...

I took that list, deleted all the non-compliant links, then deleted a handful more that didn't work for other reasons, and then added a few bunch more stations plus the full SomaFM lineup, and all the 181.fm channels, and most of the Netherlands' Talpa Network streams (538, JUKE, Radio 10, Sky Radio, and more), for a total of 226 tested and verified (as of this writing) stations. I offer it for anyone who's interested. Download this post's attachment - rename it to radio.txt, and place it in the root of your SD card. Then go to Playlists and tap "Custom Radio". ENJOY!

The latest version can always be found via this link. I welcome comments, corrections, and requests in this thread.

Attachments

• hibyradio20210413.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 43
[Edited 5/11/2020 to reflect newly updated file contents]

One of the nice features, for me, of the Hiby R3 Pro DAP, in addition to being able to stream Tidal and Qobuz, is the "Custom Radio" feature. It's not too difficult to create a file with a handful of your favorites, assuming you can find the direct stream URLs, and they are compatible with the Hiby. There's an old-ish list floating around that's been shared on this and other forums, but about two thirds of the stations wouldn't play, or threw an error. Some because the stations don't exist anymore, but most because the URL was incompatible. The Hiby only works with URLs ending in .mp3 or .m3u8. Maybe they worked on the original R3 and/or an earlier firmware version? All I know is they don't work with my Pro on the latest firmware. Sooo...

I took that list, deleted all the non-compliant links, then deleted a handful more that didn't work for other reasons, and then added a few more stations plus the full SomaFM lineup, all the 181.fm channels, and most of the Netherlands' Talpa Network streams (538, JUKE, Radio 10, Sky Radio, and more), for a total of 286 tested and verified (as of this writing) stations. I offer it for anyone who's interested. Download this post's attachment - rename it to radio.txt, and place it in the root of your SD card. Then go to Playlists and tap "Custom Radio". ENJOY!

The latest version can also always be found via this link. I welcome comments, corrections, and requests in this thread.
i installed the renamed txt file to my R3 Pro sd card but although the Radio.txt file shows, no music is shown when I select the radio icon. I am on the latest firmware v1.3.
Any suggestions?

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 43
i installed the renamed txt file to my R3 Pro sd card but although the Radio.txt file shows, no music is shown when I select the radio icon. I am on the latest firmware v1.3.
Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if it matters - did you name the file radio.txt? Or Radio.txt? Might make a difference - being Linux-based, filenames are case sensitive. Should be radio.txt - all lower case.

Also, you won't see any "music". Look in lists/playlists, find "custom radio". Tap that and you'll see a list of stations. Tap one of those to play that station.

IMG_20200613_155259624_3.jpgIMG_20200613_155310481.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 43
Thanks for the reply but as I stated a few pages back, I finally got the radio.txt playlist working ok. I agree that's a nice bonus feature in the player!

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 43
New version attached here and at this link. Removed the links to all the Dutch Talpa Group stations since none of them would play right on the R3Pro. Every single one would skip back a couple seconds every thirty seconds. Some sort of timing issue (non-standard sample rate?), i'm guessing, or an MP3 stream variant the R3Pro can't properly deal with, so no point in having them.

OTOTH, I've added another 20 or so - most if not all are actual broadcast stations, mostly in the USA.

Attachments

• hibyradio20200615.txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 43
New version attached here and at this link. Removed the links to all the Dutch Talpa Group stations since none of them would play right on the R3Pro. Every single one would skip back a couple seconds every thirty seconds. Some sort of timing issue (non-standard sample rate?), i'm guessing, or an MP3 stream variant the R3Pro can't properly deal with, so no point in having them.

OTOTH, I've added another 20 or so - most if not all are actual broadcast stations, mostly in the USA.
Many thanks for adding the additional classical and npr links to the playlist!

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 43

Thank you for the new radio file!

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 43
will this work on the R3 Pro Saber? It loaded however said "no stations" thank you.

No reason it shouldn't work; hopefully someone else can confirm (I have the OG R3Pro - not Sabre). Double check that you've re-named the file "radio.txt" (all lower-case) and put it in the root of the SD card. Also, if you did it via USB (or inserted SD card) with power on, you'll need to power the R3Pro off and back on again. I discovered that myself when I tried to edit the file over USB while the player was on. I could read and write to it, but the station list in playlists didn't reflect the changes until I power cycled. It probably only reads the list once at boot-up.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 43
Hi guys,

I need some info.

1. Am looking for a high-end or mid-fi DAP with FM analogue radio. R3 Pro seems to offer only a web radio app that needs an internet connection via WiFi. So, I am just wondering, if a similar free web radio app with links included for hundreds of stations can be downloaded from Google PlayStore? If it can be done, I could choose on any other DAP (Cayiin N3 Pro or HiBy R8) over R3 Pro for my next purchase. Could someone tell me if it can be done?

2. Also, on R3 Pro, could the web radio presets be skipped from station to station using side buttons without needing to use the touch screen?

Thanks.

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 43
Works for me on the Saber

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 43
Hi guys,

I need some info.

1. Am looking for a high-end or mid-fi DAP with FM analogue radio. R3 Pro seems to offer only a web radio app that needs an internet connection via WiFi. So, I am just wondering, if a similar free web radio app with links included for hundreds of stations can be downloaded from Google PlayStore? If it can be done, I could choose on any other DAP (Cayiin N3 Pro or HiBy R8) over R3 Pro for my next purchase. Could someone tell me if it can be done?

2. Also, on R3 Pro, could the web radio presets be skipped from station to station using side buttons without needing to use the touch screen?

Thanks.

I answered your first question about Android radio apps over on the R3Pro thread (quick answer: TuneIn).

As for changing stations without using the screen, if you're listening to "radio", the previous/next buttons will let you step through the list. The change is surprisingly quick too, almost instantaneous, at least for me. This is on the R3Pro; I can't say about the original R3, but I imagine it works the same.

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 43
Still no luck on the saber.
Have you double checked:
filename radio.txt (all lower case)
fie is in root of the SD card
you are using actual downloaded file? Opening the file and then saving it sometimes won't work depending on your o/s and text editor.

ALSO - once you have placed the file on the SD card - especially if you transferred via WiFi or USB with R3Pro powered up, you must power off and back on before it will recognize the radio.txt file. Also, if you make any changes to the file later, you'll need to power cycle before you see those changes. Apparently the radio.txt file is only actually read at boot-up.

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 43
Have you double checked:
filename radio.txt (all lower case)
fie is in root of the SD card
you are using actual downloaded file? Opening the file and then saving it sometimes won't work depending on your o/s and text editor.

ALSO - once you have placed the file on the SD card - especially if you transferred via WiFi or USB with R3Pro powered up, you must power off and back on before it will recognize the radio.txt file. Also, if you make any changes to the file later, you'll need to power cycle before you see those changes. Apparently the radio.txt file is only actually read at boot-up.

One thing I've noticed, when moving text files between Windows and Linux, is to make sure the "End Of Line" setting for file saving, is appropriate for the destination OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back