Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Mar 27, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #1,561 of 2,068
Thank you!

Do you have any experience with the R5 (non saber) I have it and it is too warm, laid back, and not as clear or detailed as my Pio XDP-30R.

thx

bob

Well, I have the R5 Saber which, based on several reviews, is more detailed than the original R5. But unfortunately I never listened to the original R5 myself…

The R5 Saber sounds more refined than all of the R3. But not sure if any R3 is better than the original R5???

But I think one problem with both R5 is Android… it’s sooooo slow! I much prefer the Hiby OS of all the R3. Much better user experience!

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,563 of 2,068
Mar 30, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #1,566 of 2,068
I received my R3Pro Saber yesterday. Quick impressions - mainly about the GUI and usability

General impression - I like the Linux OS, that's the reason I bought this DAP. I avoid Android gadgets.

The good:

- fast boot time
- very nice screen, album art really shines on this
- fluid GUI, no lags
- enough juice to drive all my cans, iems. (e.g with low gain I stay below 50 with Focal Elegia on balanced)
- sound is good "out of the box" no need to play with eq.
. nice that a case and foil/glass is included

The bad/annoyances (no deal breakers, but would be easy to fix in firmware)

- prev/next buttons work the opposite way as it would be logical for me. No way to change it in settings.
- reading the database is very, very slow. No incremental update, so even when I change a couple of files, it reads/indexes all 7500 files. I can have my breakfast while it works
- on startup, the screen always go to songs, even though my preference is to start with artist. No way to change this behaviour, or to make it remember the last view
- no scrolling of long artist, song and album names
- when I select a song and start to play, the view remains in list view, doesn't switch over to the playback screen, must do it manually.
- cannot display/sort by album artist - so songs of VA albums are all over the list in artist view. Annoying
- very weird read/display mistakes in tags.
- Some albums and/or songs with diacritic marks (ü, ö, í, ő, ň, etc) in the tag display Chines characters instead. But not always - in some others they display correctly. Retagging helps in some cases, in others no change It seems that the player is very sensitive about how the extended Latin characters are encoded in the tags - carefully re-tagging the culprits solved the problem. No other DAPs I have display this behaviour, though.
- Cannot display Arabic characters. (Can display Chinese/Japanese. I guess it can also display Thai, as it is one of the language options)
- Some totally random mistakes in reading the tags:
An album by "Charles Mingus" (all files have him as Artist in the tag) shows Artist as "Charles Mingus, Hampton Hawes, Danny Richmond" These other names are not present in the tag at all, although correct for the album - go figure.
Several Simon & Garfunkel songs show the song name as both Artist and Title. So the song "Punky's Dilemma" thus show up as "Punky's Dilemma" by the artist "Punky's Dilemma" Some others on the same albums show correctly. The files are tagged the same way.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #1,568 of 2,068
Between the two Pro versions the R3 Pro (Cirrus Logic) has a more “fun” tuning I would say - a warmer signature with more bass presence and a smoother yet detailed treble. The R3 Pro Saber has a fairly bright tuning - bass is a bit tighter, and treble is very present, resulting in a very detailed sound but also slightly harsh on brighter headphones. Interestingly, the R3 Pro (Cirrus Logic) has the wider soundstage for me.
I'm looking at getting either of these, and I listen to a wide variety of music, including classical violin, post rock, house, metal and a bunch of other stuff. Which one would you think would be more versatile? I'm sort of leaning towards the original Pro but it seems a bit silly to essentially pay the same for an older model..

Apr 2, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #1,569 of 2,068
I'm looking at getting either of these, and I listen to a wide variety of music, including classical violin, post rock, house, metal and a bunch of other stuff. Which one would you think would be more versatile? I'm sort of leaning towards the original Pro but it seems a bit silly to essentially pay the same for an older model..

It’s hard for me to say which one is better suited for all these genres. But in terms of overall versatility I would say the original Pro is a bit easier to match (since the Pro Saber can be problematic on bright headphones).

Regarding your last point I think the release date is irrelevant here. In terms of features both players are pretty much identical. Also the firmware is the same. The main difference are the DACs with slightly different specs. Maybe there are some other minor differences like DSD512 support, MQA unfolding level, or latest Bluetooth version? Don’t think so but you would have to check this.

If you are considering the original Pro then just get this one. The same price is justified in this case.

Apr 3, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #1,570 of 2,068
Screenshot_2022-04-03-10-24-08-52_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

You better buy a good protective case or the thin cristal edge won't last long inside your pocket.
This is not result of dropping the device. I can't even tell how this happened, maybe the edge touched the iems or another object.

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #1,572 of 2,068
Does the microSD card need to have a specific format? If I connect my R3 Pro Saber to my PC via USB, my PC sees the files, but my R3 itself can't find anything when it scans for music.
exFAT works fine for me

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #1,574 of 2,068
Okay, this is weird. I reformatted the card, and my R3 still can't find anything when it scans for new music, but I can find them just fine if I navigate by file structure, and the R3 plays the songs.
Try upgrading R3 to the latest firmware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back