Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Sep 14, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #1,411 of 2,068
I've read some owners reviews where they said that R3 Pro sound is boring when comparing with Fiio and Shangling equivalent daps... Is this due to the other players been bright sounding and R3 Pro neutral or is it true and Hiby players have an smooth and less analytical sound? Thanks

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,412 of 2,068
I do not find it boring.
Forst of all it's a matter of synergy with the headphones/IEM.
I would say that R3 Pro is a neutral DAP with a small spoon of warmth, but only a small spoon, nothing what could affect the IEM signature.

Most of budget Fiio DAP have for me something unnatural in higher frequencies.
I had Shanling Q1 which was warmer than R3 Pro and less detailed.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #1,413 of 2,068
Found this seller with the R3 Pro Saber at around $187 CDN, which seems to be a VERY good price. Thing is, the seller only opened their store today (September 14) and it seems a bit strange to me that all of their shipping options are free (for Canada) - UPS Express Saver, DHL and EMS. The store has over 1000 items of all kinds, including audio gear such as a few KZ IEMs... this deal with the R3 Pro Saber seems sort of suspicious but if it's legit, that could be something to jump on. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003276358113.html

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #1,414 of 2,068
AliExpress suggests it's shipping from China. I dunno about Canada, but pretty much anything Ive ever bought from China here in the US has had either free or super cheap shipping. Shipping time, otoh, is unpredictable - could be as fast as under a week, or could take several months. Probably however long it takes them to accumulate enough sales to fill a shipping container. I think it's because the Chinese government heavily subsidizes the shipping. Add to that the product is manufactured there, so likely costs the seller less that it would cost a US or Canadian seller. OTOH, I agree that that particular seller looks a bit suspicios - doesn't even seem to have a "real" store name.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,419 of 2,068
Oct 25, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #1,420 of 2,068
Same here. Seems like it is losing wifi-connection but with full bars... I have to toggle wifi off and on again.

Also I would like the option to sort favourite artists and albums in tidal alphabetically but I don't think this will ever happen.
Maybe hiby is busy developing an RS8, R4, RS5 pro and whatnot and the R3 has reached end of service...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #1,421 of 2,068
Same here. Seems like it is losing wifi-connection but with full bars... I have to toggle wifi off and on again.

Also I would like the option to sort favourite artists and albums alphabetically but I don't think this will ever happen.
Maybe hiby is busy developing an RS8, R4, RS5 pro and whatnot and the R3 has reached end of service...

It is starting to feel that way.

It's a shame, the player is good, just the software is a little clunky/buggy.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #1,422 of 2,068
It is starting to feel that way.

It's a shame, the player is good, just the software is a little clunky/buggy.

Yes, the R3 Pro is a really nice device. It's small and capable with good battery life. It seems to get lost in all of the hype around the bigger, more expensive devices that "audiophiles" seem to want, even if they don't actually sound better. I would also like to see continued development of the software and the platform.

@Joe Bloggs

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #1,423 of 2,068
I bought two R3 Pro Sabras. Best size to take for a walk with your favorite IEM. Good feature set in a small package. Price is right too.

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,424 of 2,068
I bought two R3 Pro Sabras. Best size to take for a walk with your favorite IEM. Good feature set in a small package. Price is right too.
Yes sir...I use my R3 for my walks everyday, plays my DSDX64 files flawlessly and sounds great, even with a cheap IEM (KZ ZAX)

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #1,425 of 2,068
I tried connecting R3 Pro Saber to my android phone to use it as a DAC/AMP but my phone doesn't recognize it as a DAC it simply starts charging my phone.. when connected to my laptop it does read it as DAC.. I tried with USB mode "Audio" & "Dock" but still no luck.. my FIIO BTR5 connects as a DAC to my android phone without any issue..

It feels like R3 Pro doesn't support android for DAC functionality, is it so?

I did google search for this but couldn't find any article related to R3 Pro supported by android as a DAC.. I even searched thru this forum but no one has posted regarding this particular thing I'm trying to do..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back