Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Sep 14, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,111 of 2,068
Just picked one of these up 2nd hand and it's running the latest firmware now since I just let it update. Audio via Bluetooth, unfortunately, seems to be extremely prone to signal loss to the point where it just seems to be basically broken. I gather (now!) that this is fairly well known. Does Hiby have a fix in the works? Is there a firmware version more stable for Bluetooth? Bluetooth is the main reason I bought this thing, to use it while running, but it can't keep a signal from most places other than held motionless at chest hight - which is distinctly, as they say, sub-optimal.

Sep 19, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #1,113 of 2,068
Being used to the Hiby R6 Pro as an upgrade, I forgot how this little guy performed. Awesome.!
A646EC4F-AF36-476D-B747-FFB6F1E7A300.jpeg

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #1,114 of 2,068
I will try to write to Hiby tonight about the new firmware for R3Pro ...

Aren't you planning a change in the future new Hiby R3Pro firmware?
Any orientation in choosing music according to the directory structure is basically suffering. I've already suggested scrolling a line or at least wrapping words on a line. I'm really worse off in directories than on the old Sansa Clip Plus.
I really don't understand why such a great player has an unfinished and confusing directory menu ...
Are you considering any future improvements?

Oct 5, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,115 of 2,068
Being used to the Hiby R6 Pro as an upgrade, I forgot how this little guy performed. Awesome.!
A646EC4F-AF36-476D-B747-FFB6F1E7A300.jpeg
Hey can you do a basic comparison btw both, I own an R3pro saber. How's the R6pro different from R3pro sonically?

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #1,119 of 2,068
No and the api integration doesn't feature gapless playback which is a shame (Tidal side I'd imagine). Also Tidal playback absolutely rinses battery which I suppose is to be expected given constant data transfer. The R3 Pro should be very much seen as an offline player with network playback as a bonus. If you need network streaming from a media service you'd be better using an Android based DAP, or using the mobile app and streaming via LDAC to the R3 Pro as a receiver. This probably sounds quite negative, the R3 Pro is the best ultra portable DAP I've used, the sound is superb and feature set beyond my expectations for the money.

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #1,120 of 2,068
Yeah, other than the kludgy user interface, which is par for the course for most small DAPs, it's pretty good value. Decent balanced output, good battery life together with instant-on/standby function makes it the player I use the most.

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #1,122 of 2,068
Was wondering what's going on with the availability of the R3 Pro Saber. Doesn't seem to be available from either Amazon US or Canada, the HiBy store says coming soon and electronicsforless.ca apparently carries it but lists the DAC as the vanilla R3 Pro DAC chip (Dual CS43131) vs. the Saber chip (Dual ES9218P) [misprint?] and MusicTek only has a used Saber for sale.

Is HiBy doing a software retool on the Saber because of the firmware upgrade issue talked about earlier in this thread? Or is it just a supply issue due to high demand? I know the regular R3 Pro is available but just wondering if they're going to eventually get the Saber back in the sales channels.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,123 of 2,068
Does anyone have a problem when start the song and the sound skip a little at the beginning?.

I just got the R3 Pro saber today, everything work fine except the sound cut off at the beginning of track. The problem will show only when select the track or using forward/backward, if the track start after the previous track ended it will play normally without cut off.

Any suggestions? it's not a serious problem but it really annoying.

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #1,124 of 2,068
Does anyone have a problem when start the song and the sound skip a little at the beginning?.

I just got the R3 Pro saber today, everything work fine except the sound cut off at the beginning of track. The problem will show only when select the track or using forward/backward, if the track start after the previous track ended it will play normally without cut off.

Any suggestions? it's not a serious problem but it really annoying.
I have not faced any such issues, been using them for over two months. Everything works good

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,125 of 2,068
I have not faced any such issues, been using them for over two months. Everything works good

Thanks for the reply.

Are you using firmware 1.4? Did your unit having issue on update firmware?

My unit have issue on firmware update but I managed to flash the recovery (clone.rar) and updated to 1.4.

I think something is wrong to having a problem on a basic functionality. Even my original R3 is working flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back