Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #1,007 of 2,068
Got my R3PRO saber 3 days back, got a demo piece for $189 frm musicteck. Really happy with it coming from a Hidizs AP80 it feels like a much better upgrade though they both share the same dac. Waiting for my balanced cable to show up so I can test them out. Thanks for the help guys.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #1,008 of 2,068
Got my R3PRO saber 3 days back, got a demo piece for $189 frm musicteck. Really happy with it coming from a Hidizs AP80 it feels like a much better upgrade though they both share the same dac. Waiting for my balanced cable to show up so I can test them out. Thanks for the help guys.
And the battery life! It goes on forever, I don't even switch it off now; just stop the music playing. I have left it for weeks in that standby state and I always get more than 20% left in the tank. Hiby should label R3Pro as a eco-friendly DAP :)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #1,009 of 2,068
And it's battery life! It goes on forever, I don't even switch it off now; just stop the music playing. I have left it for weeks in that standby state and I always get more than 20% left in the tank. Hiby should label R3Pro as a eco-friendly DAP :)
Yeah that battery life is a blessing for sure!

Aug 5, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,010 of 2,068
I do like upfront vocals. The headphones I was talking about was the ATH-MSR7b. This has treble in spades and has lean bass. I would like more bass from it, though I also really enjoy a detailed sound signature. Its treble can be harsh, I admit. I’m leaning more towards the Saber at the moment since more people favor it over the vanilla. What do you think?

I'd get the saber then- it's more upfront. I think the sub bass is a little stronger, and the treble isn't that laid back on the vanilla version.

They're both detailed, but the saber has accented treble. I mean they both sound great, if the mids were just a touch back I'd probably prefer the saber for the sub bass. I should have tried to tweak it with mseb, recess the vocals just a bit and slide it to warm just a bit.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #1,012 of 2,068
And the battery life! It goes on forever, I don't even switch it off now; just stop the music playing. I have left it for weeks in that standby state and I always get more than 20% left in the tank. Hiby should label R3Pro as a eco-friendly DAP :)

That battery life is approaching Sony range :) plus you get much more power than A series. This is one of my favorite daps regardless of price, sounds good, has great battery life, and I love the small form factor.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #1,013 of 2,068
That battery life is approaching Sony range :) plus you get much more power than A series. This is one of my favorite daps regardless of price, sounds good, has great battery life, and I love the small form factor.
I also got A&K's SR25 for its battery life. It has longer playing time than R3Pro, but it doesn't have R3Pro's ultra-long standby "trick" - which I love having. I think I can never go back to sub 10-hour DAP battery life anymore, no matter how great it/they may sound! :)

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,014 of 2,068
Yep on every balanced I've tried the sound stage has been wider. You get less crosstalk and noise when using a balanced circuit besides more power. I never ever end up using the SE out, it just doesn't sound as good.

Exactly. The higher max voltage (=more power) improves dynamic range, which helps with sonic dynamics and transparency. It's the reduction of crosstalk that improves imaging and can widen the soundstage.

This is, of course, in the context of driving headphones directly. When acting as a line output, feeding an external amplifier, the difference is negligible to nonexistent. The amplifier's connection to the 'phones would then be the more critical to the listening experience.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #1,015 of 2,068
can anyone that has either the Pro or the Pro Saber and uses Tidal on it, share their experience if the newer R3 still has skipping issues while streaming? Is this limited to the R3 only, and not affecting their other models? I'm using their original R3 and the skipping is quite frequent during listening sessions. My wifi connection at home isn't weak and there's really no other interference going on (besides the wifi signal itself).

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #1,017 of 2,068
Follow "option two" from the tutorial here. That's what I did.
The remaining steps can be found in the instructions posted in the post below. Once you download the zip file, you'll get a step by step walkthrough.

When I try to install the clone driver is says I already have the best drivers installed:frowning2: I'm holding the previous button when I connect it
And I followed the steps for windows to allow unsigned drivers, idk whats wrong

Its like even if I Uninstall the usb device the next time it reverts to the same driver even though im holding the prrevious button down and doesn't allow me to change to the clone driver- says I have best driver with no other options, super frustrating!! I can't upgrade

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #1,018 of 2,068
My R3 Pro showed today. It is a beautiful device with an awesome form factor. It came with firmware 1.3 out of the box. It is far more responsive than the Fiio M6. I am just charging it at the moment. I will test it out for a few hours later when I have time and post my impressions. Taking it out of the box though, it is clear that I made the right choice sending the Fiio M6 back and buying the Hiby instead.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #1,019 of 2,068
can anyone that has either the Pro or the Pro Saber and uses Tidal on it, share their experience if the newer R3 still has skipping issues while streaming? Is this limited to the R3 only, and not affecting their other models? I'm using their original R3 and the skipping is quite frequent during listening sessions. My wifi connection at home isn't weak and there's really no other interference going on (besides the wifi signal itself).
Only when the wifi signal is very weak (ie: few walls away), other than that, the streaming works fine.
My router/AP have external antennas (Asus RT-87u/Netgear R7000), but my location has at least a dozen other routers detected.

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,020 of 2,068

I have the original R3Pro. No real problems with Tidal nor Qobuz (I have both) streaming at highest bitrate. Very rarely I'll have a hiccup on Qobuz on extremely high bitrate tracks, but then again, my home internet is a cellular hotspot so speed isn't always consistent. OTOH, Tidal's MQA files are actually a significantly lower bitrate and I've yet to have one of those hiccup or stutter while playing.

Have you noticed if it only seems to do it on certain tracks/albums? Have you tried the same tracks on your phone or computer? If that's the case, I'd be happy to try them and see if they play ok for me.

[edit] Oh - another thought - are you listening via wired headphones? or Bluetooth? If bluetooth, is your WiFi 2.4 or 5 GHz? Bluetooth also operates in the 2.4 GHz band, and it is possible for BT and WiFi to interfere with each other in some circumstances. Also, are you on the latest firmware?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back