Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jul 9, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #887 of 2,068
Morning all.

Used my Saber as a DAC from my laptop yesterday for the first time, and noticed that playback was always with 24 bit depth according to the Saber display, even with my 16/44 FLACs. My HD/HiRes music always correctly shows 24 bit, and the sample rate displays correctly for both types. I checked in settings>devices>sound>properties>advanced on my laptop, and there was no 16/44 option at all for the R3 Pro - ranged from 24/44 to 32/384.

Is this normal? Where is this padding coming from? Probably not a big deal, sure any anomaly is inaudible for me, but bit perfect should mean just that IMO. And the sampling autoswitching seems to work as it should.

Tried with WASAPI and AISO in various players in exclusive mode, same for all.

Thanks for any help/advice/explanations.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #888 of 2,068
Morning all.

Used my Saber as a DAC from my laptop yesterday for the first time, and noticed that playback was always with 24 bit depth according to the Saber display, even with my 16/44 FLACs. My HD/HiRes music always correctly shows 24 bit, and the sample rate displays correctly for both types. I checked in settings>devices>sound>properties>advanced on my laptop, and there was no 16/44 option at all for the R3 Pro - ranged from 24/44 to 32/384.

Is this normal? Where is this padding coming from? Probably not a big deal, sure any anomaly is inaudible for me, but bit perfect should mean just that IMO. And the sampling autoswitching seems to work as it should.

I was going to suggest you try exclusive mode, but you've already done that. What o/s and player software are you using?

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #889 of 2,068
Hi, I got my R3 Pro a week ago, bought on Aliexpress from Hiby. I've experienced some boot problems after upgrading firmware to 1.3, when device tried to update again and again every time I power it on (version is already 1.3, checked in the "about"). Apart from time wasted to power it on, device was good sounding.
Today things gone worst: now balanced output does not work anymore, anche volume from 3.5 jack is quite low and always same level ignoring gain and volume level 0-100. I don't think this can be a software problem, however I've already tried to factory reset the device, but no luck.
Did someone had similar issues with this player? I'm contacting also seller, but they are slow to answer.
BR

Do please contact us directly at service@hiby.com , they should be able to offer a solution, from troubleshooting this in software up to and including returning this through the seller for repair.

Can you point me to the MSEB settings from bloggs? I can't seem to find it using a search?

Was it this? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r3-pro-portable-bluetooth-dap.916299/page-34#post-15656080

Morning all.

I don't know why this is the case, but can confirm with my R3 that this is the case with the windows 10 drivers for it. I wouldn't worry about any sound quality impact of this, as going from 16 bit to 24 or 32 bits means simply adding the requisite number of zeros to the end of the data. These extra bits can then be used for lossless volume control of 16 or 24 bit data, so is beneficial if anything.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 11, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #890 of 2,068
I was going to suggest you try exclusive mode, but you've already done that. What o/s and player software are you using?

Windows 10 with MusicBee, JRiver Media Center and Foobar.

Tried with Tidal (desktop), same behaviour.

I'll live with it. I hear no difference at all (nor would I expect to obviously) and I won't be using the Saber as a DAC very often anyway - will be buying a desktop DAC/amp as soon as my wife lets me....

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #891 of 2,068
I don't know why this is the case, but can confirm with my R3 that this is the case with the windows 10 drivers for it. I wouldn't worry about any sound quality impact of this, as going from 16 bit to 24 or 32 bits means simply adding the requisite number of zeros to the end of the data. These extra bits can then be used for lossless volume control of 16 or 24 bit data, so is beneficial if anything.

It's not "beneficial" for me at all, and am surprised you think so. It's my music, and if I choose to play it unadulerated - i.e. bit perfect - I should have that option. One reason I bought the R3 Pro was to avoid Android's ALSA.

As I said earlier, I'll live with it, but only because I won't be using it as a DAC, and no upsampling occurs.

Can bit perfect playback be achieved by a future FW upgrade?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #892 of 2,068
It's not "beneficial" for me at all, and am surprised you think so. It's my music, and if I choose to play it unadulerated - i.e. bit perfect - I should have that option. One reason I bought the R3 Pro was to avoid Android's ALSA.

As I said earlier, I'll live with it, but only because I won't be using it as a DAC, and no upsampling occurs.

Can bit perfect playback be achieved by a future FW upgrade?
I'm sorry, but bit padding can not be considered as any form of upsampling at all. If this is not bit perfect playback in your eyes, then no, no FW upgrade will ever achieve what you want, because 32 bit PCM is what the DAC chip takes all the time (that, or DSD.)

It then resamples both internally to an internal representation that is several times the sample rate of the fastest DSD on the market, but with only 6 bits of bit depth, before the final D/A conversion. This is true for any modern D-S DAC chip on the market and not something for the faint-of-heart audiophile to remember. That, when all is said and done, the final output of just about any D-S DAC on the market is superior to a "bit-perfect" R2R DAC is again harder for people to swallow.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #893 of 2,068
I'm sorry, but bit padding can not be considered as any form of upsampling at all. If this is not bit perfect playback in your eyes, then no, no FW upgrade will ever achieve what you want, because 32 bit PCM is what the DAC chip takes all the time (that, or DSD.)

It then resamples both internally to an internal representation that is several times the sample rate of the fastest DSD on the market, but with only 6 bits of bit depth, before the final D/A conversion. This is true for any modern D-S DAC chip on the market and not something for the faint-of-heart audiophile to remember. That, when all is said and done, the final output of just about any D-S DAC on the market is superior to a "bit-perfect" R2R DAC is again harder for people to swallow.

OK, thanks. I never said upsampling was happening, I clearly stated that.

It may be merely semantics, but I define "bit perfect" as x bits /y kHz in=x bits/y kHz out.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to my ears! Thanks for your input (and padded output 😁 ).

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #894 of 2,068
Thank you. I used the one for isine10 but it appears the equalizer only does whole values ,but was certainly better than stock with no eq but not as good as the cipher. Is there a way to do decimal points or are you using whole #'s?
Thanks

I've been rounding up or down to the nearest whole number for that reason. Most settings are within 0.2 or 0.3 dB though, with only the 31 Hz value 0.5 dB away from the prescribed value. Because of my tinnitus I can only detect a 0.5 dB change correctly, 60% of the time. So for me the whole number dB values are close enough. BTW, this is a good site for checking what difference level you can perceive: https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_level.php?lvl=0.5

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #895 of 2,068
Has anyone here done a comparison of the R3 Pro and the Fiio M6 ? I am rather curious about how these two compare. I recently purchased an M6, which I have not received in the mail yet. I am wondering if I should have bought the R3 Pro instead. The store sells both DAPs, so I can always return the M6 when it shows up, and then get the R3 Pro instead.

Edit: I should mention as well that I will be using either DAP with my Topping NX3S headphone amp.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #896 of 2,068
Has anyone here done a comparison of the R3 Pro and the Fiio M6 ? I am rather curious about how these two compare. I recently purchased an M6, which I have not received in the mail yet. I am wondering if I should have bought the R3 Pro instead. The store sells both DAPs, so I can always return the M6 when it shows up, and then get the R3 Pro instead.
Edit: I should mention as well that I will be using either DAP with my Topping NX3S headphone amp.
Can't comment about the M6 as I don't have that. But I just tried the NX3s with R3Pro. They have very good synergy on the 3.5mm ports with Blon BL03. The dynamics of the sound seems lifted to a different level. Whereas the Blon connected directly to R3Pro via 3.5mm presents tamer dynamics at similar sound level. That was a pleasant surprise with my NX3s as I had shelved that for many months now.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #897 of 2,068
Do please contact us directly at service@hiby.com , they should be able to offer a solution, from troubleshooting this in software up to and including returning this through the seller for repair.

Was it this? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r3-pro-portable-bluetooth-dap.916299/page-34#post-15656080

Yes, I think so. It sounds pretty good. Maybe I am just expecting too much or I don't know exactly what sound I am looking for but that definitely makes them sound better. Thank you

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #898 of 2,068
Hi all.
I have just received a Hiby R3 PRO and I have tested it with my recently purchased Sandisk Extreme Pro 1 Tb micro SD card, and I can confirm that it works properly with no issues.
Besides, it has detected 15.078 tracks. I thought this player had a limited number of 15.000 detected tracks.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #899 of 2,068
Anyone using Sennheiser HD650 or HD6XX with their R3 Pro?

Just picked up a HD6xx and thinking of possibly buying balance cable for them.

General consensus here seems that balance out on R3 Pro makes higher imp headphones shine.

Looking for some insight on anyone who might have tried this combo with balanced cable.

thanks

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #900 of 2,068
Anyone using Sennheiser HD650 or HD6XX with their R3 Pro?

Just picked up a HD6xx and thinking of possibly buying balance cable for them.

General consensus here seems that balance out on R3 Pro makes higher imp headphones shine.

Looking for some insight on anyone who might have tried this combo with balanced cable.

thanks
Mine low-imp Meze's 99C are def shining more with balanced cables/output from R3P Saber. I'm sure yours will as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back