Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #766 of 2,068
BT worked well on my fiio m6, with all codecs (apt-x,aptx-hd and ldac).

If it doesn't work well on R3p, it's a no go for me, as 95% of the time I listen through BT, it's just more comfortable.

Your missing out on the great balanced output. If you're going just to use BT. I'd just stick with your m6, or get a cheap sony like nwa45. Or use your phone.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #767 of 2,068
No apt-x hd on the Q1 also (like r3p), and only BT 4.2

I all my bluetooth devices have LDAC so I don't need Apt-HD. As for bluetooth 5.0 none of my current bluetooth devices are bluetooth 5.0 so again not a big concern for me. Price and sound quality are the deciding factors between the two. The Q1 would cost me about $200 less than the Hiby R3 Pro saber all in. Plus I would not be paying for features I don't need with the Q1 including wifi and streaming services, and the balanced output. No if Shanling had a Canadian distributor and I could get it in Canada it would be a done deal. I am only looking at the R3 Pro Sabre because I can buy it in Canada but the current pricing is way to high for me.

I can wait for some indepth reviews on the R3 Pro Sabre and hopefully some comparisons to the Q1 for sound quality since they use the same ESS DAC/Amp chip. To be honest having owned a Shanling DAP and having demoed several Shanling home audio products I am more comfortable with Shanling. I to date have no experience with any Hiby DAP's and $350 CDN is alot to spend on my first Hiby DAP out of the gate.

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #768 of 2,068
I all my bluetooth devices have LDAC so I don't need Apt-HD. As for bluetooth 5.0 none of my current bluetooth devices are bluetooth 5.0 so again not a big concern for me. Price and sound quality are the deciding factors between the two. The Q1 would cost me about $200 less than the Hiby R3 Pro saber all in. Plus I would not be paying for features I don't need with the Q1 including wifi and streaming services, and the balanced output. No if Shanling had a Canadian distributor and I could get it in Canada it would be a done deal. I am only looking at the R3 Pro Sabre because I can buy it in Canada but the current pricing is way to high for me.

I can wait for some indepth reviews on the R3 Pro Sabre and hopefully some comparisons to the Q1 for sound quality since they use the same ESS DAC/Amp chip. To be honest having owned a Shanling DAP and having demoed several Shanling home audio products I am more comfortable with Shanling. I to date have no experience with any Hiby DAP's and $350 CDN is alot to spend on my first Hiby DAP out of the gate.

I myself don't notice any differences between BT 4.2 and BT 5.0. And of course the sound is being generated by the receiving device such as the BT headphones. They're using their own onboard dac and amp, so source doesn't matter as much.

I've got 5.0 BT headphones and they sound and work the same on 4.2 and 5.0. I don't notice any improvements over my older Sony buds. Honestly if you don’t mind using your phone the btr5 is excellent. Because it's a BT reciever, you can plug your 3.5 or balanced 2.5 headphones in and enjoy that nice dual dac and amp set up wirelessly.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #769 of 2,068
I myself don't notice any differences between BT 4.2 and BT 5.0. And of course the sound is being generated by the receiving device such as the BT headphones. They're using their own onboard dac and amp, so source doesn't matter as much.

My feelings exactly, if I don't have any 5.0 compatible devices why worry about it. I am not going to spend more money on new devices just for the sake of have bluetooth 5.0.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #770 of 2,068
I have a small request for people with both R3Pro and R3ProS.
Using MSEB, try to get one player to sound like the other player.
If they can sound close enough to the real things, please post up both MSEB settings.
It would be nice to have a listen to the virtual sound signature of 1 player, while just having the other player.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #771 of 2,068
Your missing out on the great balanced output. If you're going just to use BT. I'd just stick with your m6, or get a cheap sony like nwa45. Or use your phone.
As I don't have balanced phones, I'd use it unbalanced anyway (sony wh-1000xm3). I returned the M6, as I found the software to be unstable. Also, you couldn't connect it as a USB device, so transferring files was slow and complicated.

Most of the time I listen from my notebook, now with an Avantree Leaf which works well, but has only apt-x, no ldac. So I need a DAP with good USB/ldac feature, and which I can used wired from time to time (in the plane, etc.).

Jun 19, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #773 of 2,068
I've got 5.0 BT headphones and they sound and work the same on 4.2 and 5.0. I don't notice any improvements over my older Sony buds. Honestly if you don’t mind using your phone the btr5 is excellent. Because it's a BT reciever, you can plug your 3.5 or balanced 2.5 headphones in and enjoy that nice dual dac and amp set up wirelessly.
BT 4 and 5 should only differ in energy consumption and reach. Sound quality only depends on the codec used.

Sorry, I really don't see the point in streaming lossy and then using a high quality balanced D/A converter. Either you stream for convenience and accept some quality loss, or you go wired all the way to your ears, to benefit form full resolution.

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #775 of 2,068
It's a question of being future-proof, as the next earphones you'll buy will be 5.0.

5.0 earphones work fine with BT 4.2. And the point of a nice BT dongle like the BTR5 is LDAC going through it's dual amp setup sounds 98% as good as wired and can drive most headphones/iems. And it's easy to use wired.

Of course just like the R3p, the balanced is the better sounding output. Frankly the 3.5 of both pros sounds underwhelming to me.

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #776 of 2,068
Help HiBy fan, PLEASE. I have both the R3 and R3 Pro Saber. I just can not figure how to get Tidal on my R3 Pro Saber. I did it on my R6 Pro, but I am just BAMBOOZLED with the R3 Pro. HELP!!

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #777 of 2,068
5.0 earphones work fine with BT 4.2. And the point of a nice BT dongle like the BTR5 is LDAC going through it's dual amp setup sounds 98% as good as wired and can drive most headphones/iems. And it's easy to use wired.
They do work fine, but you get more stable transmission on longer distances with BT5.

It depends on the earphones you use. BT earphones convert LDAC internally, and may have a worse/as good/better D/A converter than any given BT dongle. Being balanced or not doesn't make a difference, as balanced wiring is only good for reducing interference noise picked up by cables.

LDAC and apt-x/hd are good codecs, but depending on the complexity of your audio material, the result you get is far away from 98%.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #778 of 2,068
Help HiBy fan, PLEASE. I have both the R3 and R3 Pro Saber. I just can not figure how to get Tidal on my R3 Pro Saber. I did it on my R6 Pro, but I am just BAMBOOZLED with the R3 Pro. HELP!!
Instead of Tidal, I use Qobuz, but the HiBy R3 Pro works for either. Make sure your WiFi is turned on, then hold down the fourth icon from the left on the top menu (either the Tidal or Qobuz icon) until a little gray dialogue box appears where you choose one or the other. Select Tidal and you should be all set. You will have to log in to your Tidal account if it's the first time.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #779 of 2,068
Fish, tried the r3ps today outside and I don't know if there was more interference or because it was cloudy but the BT was breaking up quite a bit on both my BT headphones.

So hiby looks like you still have some work to do. Or maybe the transmitter is too weak or the shielding idk. The other day when I mowed it worked flawlessly. Not a big deal for me because I've got my other daps and phone.

The phone is the best out of all of them, and luckily I've got a fairly small light phone. I don’t know why very few daps have solid BT and most I've tried don't. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to implement a good BT transmitter.

But for now if you're going to be using it for BT alot, I can't recommend the r3p

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #780 of 2,068
They do work fine, but you get more stable transmission on longer distances with BT5.

It depends on the earphones you use. BT earphones convert LDAC internally, and may have a worse/as good/better D/A converter than any given BT dongle. Being balanced or not doesn't make a difference, as balanced wiring is only good for reducing interference noise picked up by cables.

LDAC and apt-x/hd are good codecs, but depending on the complexity of your audio material, the result you get is far away from 98%.

No, balanced has more power and less crosstalk and noise. Every dap I've had in the last year has sounded at least marginally better through the balanced out. And some are quite better like the R3pro-s. Using a dac for each channel besides in this case doubling the power also lowers crosstalk rejection.

Have you listened to the BTR5? With ldac? Now 98% is just an estimate but it's an estimate I arrived at by listening to both wired and ldac on the btr5. With some very complex material lol. And I guarantee it's more accurate than your blanket statement of 'far and away from 98%' which is meaningless.

I'm not talking about numbers but real listening results and the ldac is very close and sounds wonderful. For all I know it could be going through some kind of upscaler before going through the dac and amps. There is a fpga chip and and xmos chip on board. Not saying thats the case, all I know it is very good sounding and the wired difference to my ears is negligible.

It would be hard for me to tell one from the other if they were volume matched exactly in a blind test.

Anyways I don't want this thread to derail anymore. So back on to the r3p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back