Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 15, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #721 of 2,068
Ok got r3p saber today and other than the white 'saber' on the side it's identical so no pics lol. Wifi works great and everything so far works just like r3p- no surprise there. I will try bluetooth tomorrow.

On to sound, well to me it sounds very similar to r3p. I don't have r3p anymore so this is from memory. Now I do remember pretty vividly how it sounded compared to a105.

There does seem to be some differences. I think the mids are a bit different, maybe back a smidge more or maybe spead out a bit more, but there seems to be a bit more space or depth to the sound-

Also it seems the treble may be a touch more stronger or maybe it's just the overall dynamics but the dynamics sound very powerful and I think it may be a touch more towards neutral. This is comparing it to the Sony, honestly the stage depth sounds more like the Sony which I like.

Not huge differences but with the powerful dynamics and seemingly more space/layering 3d depth whatever you want to call it I can't say I prefer the sony 100% now.

Also the bass is very powerful which kind of took me by surprise it's lean but man it's deep.

Not huge differences to my ear, but obviously it does compare differently to the a105. The r3p might sound a bit fuller, again from memory.

Hopefully somebody with both can weigh in, but I can't see anyone being disappointed with either model. And since I don't have both on hand I could be imagining the differences :wink:

Although I swear this seems a bit more spread out in the mids.

Ok one pic, and dudes it's sabre, not saber. Unless that was for copyright purposes?

20200615_190119.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #722 of 2,068
Hiby Comparison

Just got my saber in to compare to my orginal r3pro and the btr5. Sound is similar between all 3 with the Saber being my favorite followed by the BTR5 than the regular R3pro. I find the regular r3pro adds a bit of a veil to the sound unlike the saber and BTR5. This was using the 2.5mm jack on all of them with a pair of tin P1s. 3.5mm isnt a big enough difference to warrant a change. The btr5 is still a fantastic sounding reciever in this day and age and I can say the r3pro saber is basically the same thing but a dap. Great upgrade!

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #723 of 2,068
Hiby Comparison

Just got my saber in to compare to my orginal r3pro and the btr5. Sound is similar between all 3 with the Saber being my favorite followed by the BTR5 than the regular R3pro. I find the regular r3pro adds a bit of a veil to the sound unlike the saber and BTR5. This was using the 2.5mm jack on all of them with a pair of tin P1s. 3.5mm isnt a big enough difference to warrant a change. The btr5 is still a fantastic sounding reciever in this day and age and I can say the r3pro saber is basically the same thing but a dap. Great upgrade!

So my ears still work it seems 🙃 thnx for the impressions.

Jun 15, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #724 of 2,068
I just listened to Billie Ellish's latest album again on R3Pro. To be clear, I am not a fan of this type of ASMR music production. Using balanced out, compared to unbalanced, the smaller nuances do flesh out better and the deep electronic bass does get more textured. Still not into the whispering vocals, but that could be just me. So, if you are the type that favours sounds of softly crinkled paper followed by a loud audio stimuli - the R3 Pro's balanced out works well for that too! :)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #725 of 2,068
To be clear, I am not a fan of this of ASMR-type music production
:smile:
me either, but i have heard some nice blues and classical and the details due seem to come out more on balanced on the Saber too

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #728 of 2,068
Just grabbed the R3 Pro (regular, not Sabre) for $173 on AE. After reading through this thread I have really high hopes for it as replacement for my xDuoo X3 II. It's going to be long 2-3 weeks :wink:

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #729 of 2,068
Just grabbed the R3 Pro (regular, not Sabre) for $173 on AE. After reading through this thread I have really high hopes for it as replacement for my xDuoo X3 II. It's going to be long 2-3 weeks :wink:
If anyone is Ok with getting the "old" Cirrus Logic R3 Pro in Grey, Joubuy has it for $153.99. https://www.joybuy.com/601011598.html

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #730 of 2,068
If anyone is Ok with getting the "old" Cirrus Logic R3 Pro in Grey, Joubuy has it for $153.99. https://www.joybuy.com/601011598.html

Thats a really good price if you don't mind waiting a bit. And at this point I'm not sure Ali express will be any faster. I ordered an E1DA 9038s gen 3 from them and it shipped May 29th and hasn't left China yet.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #733 of 2,068
Jun 16, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #734 of 2,068
Tried LDAC with my Sony wireless buds today and it was flawless. No breakups whatsoever, that was my only complaint from the original r3p. Hiby must have fixed it with a firmware release.

They had one when I had the r3p, and it got a bit better but I still had quite a bit of dropouts. Now it's solid as my Sony and phone.

And thanks to MrNaturalAZ for the updated radio list, it works a charm. Also I was able to add WNIR from the stream you found for me. :)

Now this thing is almost perfect, my one little gripe is it doesn't remember the previous volume setting for the headphone outs. So if you use bluetooth and jack the volume up to 100, and forget and plug your iems in you could blow your ears out.

Also I wish the eq didn't cut output when activated. I wish it was like the r5 and up and the phone version where it doesn't affect the sound when engaging the eq. Well unless you change the band settings:wink: Although with the powerful bass and great treble I haven't felt the need to use eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back