Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 14, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #707 of 2,068
Well, the whole point of me buying the HiBy R3 Pro was to replace my much-used, but increasingly fiddly iPod Classic without spending a bundle. So I bought one and, maybe the day after I received it via Amazon, I saw the announcement of the 'Saber' version... Sheesh! So maybe in 5-6 years, I'll see what I might replace my much-used, but increasingly fiddly (non-Saber) HiBy R3 Pro with.

The regular pro is awesome :)

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #708 of 2,068
Thanks tons, but how do I get that into the format that the r3p can play it? I mean I'm just curious I can listen to it on my phone, my Sony and my hidiz. I just thought it would be cool to put it with the other channels. I loved the old list with all the soma channels.

Just open the radio.txt file in any plain text editor (Notepad, for example, if you use Windows) - not a word processor - and add the following on its own line. Maybe put it at the top before all the rest to make it easier to find.

WINR, https://17333.live.streamtheworld.com/WNIRFM.mp3

and save the file.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #709 of 2,068
Just open the radio.txt file in any plain text editor (Notepad, for example, if you use Windows) - not a word processor - and add the following on its own line. Maybe put it at the top before all the rest to make it easier to find.

WINR, https://17333.live.streamtheworld.com/WNIRFM.mp3

and save the file.

Thank you so much, I was clueless about this.

Jun 15, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #710 of 2,068
Well, the whole point of me buying the HiBy R3 Pro was to replace my much-used, but increasingly fiddly iPod Classic without spending a bundle. So I bought one and, maybe the day after I received it via Amazon, I saw the announcement of the 'Saber' version... Sheesh! So maybe in 5-6 years, I'll see what I might replace my much-used, but increasingly fiddly (non-Saber) HiBy R3 Pro with.

I get it for sure, you buy a new DAP and a few months later a newer better version comes out. It drives you nuts, I splurged on Fiio M9 on Black Friday and then a few months later I heard about the Shanling Q1. Before the M9 I had the Fiio M7 and just a few months before that the Shanling M0. That's 3 new DAP's in less than 1.5 years but the DAP world is so niche it wouldn't survive without us obsessively upgrading our DAP's wanting the next one when it comes out. :deadhorse:

If I already owned the R3 Pro no way would I get the Saber version, to much to spend for what will likely be very minor differences.

Jun 15, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #711 of 2,068
I get it for sure, you buy a new DAP and a few months later a newer better version comes out. It drives you nuts, I splurged on Fiio M9 on Black Friday and then a few months later I heard about the Shanling Q1. Before the M9 I had the Fiio M7 and just a few months before that the Shanling M0. That's 3 new DAP's in less than 1.5 years but the DAP world is so niche it wouldn't survive without us obsessively upgrading our DAP's wanting the next one when it comes out. :deadhorse:

If I already owned the R3 Pro no way would I get the Saber version, to much to spend for what will likely be very minor differences.
Stick to Sony then your not tempted so often.

Wasn't 1A/1Z launced about 3 year ago and ZX507 only a recent addition to replace the ZX300.

I've just got my ZX507 so need to come off head-fi now for a while !!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #712 of 2,068
Stick to Sony then your not tempted so often.

Wasn't 1A/1Z launced about 3 year ago and ZX507 only a recent addition to replace the ZX300.

I've just got my ZX507 so need to come off head-fi now for a while !!

Yes but when you are spending over $1000 on a DAP you better be able to keep it for at least 3 years. I would need to refinance my house every time I want to buy a new Sony DAP $$$$$. :L3000: If you are like me and stick to a $300 budget then you can afford to upgrade more frequently and I always sell the DAP I own before I buy another one. If you keep a DAP for 3 years and then try to sell it to afford a new one you take a major hit on the resale. What would a 1Z resell for after 3 years? I hate Sony because no matter how old their DAP's are they never go down in price in Canada. Heck the ZX100 still sells in Canada for $799 and how old is that model now and the 1Z still sells for $4000. I wouldn't pay that much for it when it first came out so I sure as hell wouldn't pay that much now. No great mystery why Sony hardly sells any DAP's in Canada anymore.

Even the relatively inexpensive A55 sits on the Sony Canada site but not a single dealer in Canada is selling locally. It is now an import only item on amazon.ca and Sony doesn't even have it on their affiliate site in Canada. Sony is dead to me as long as they are dead to Canada.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #714 of 2,068
So let me ask you, if you could only afford to buy 1 DAP would you choose the Sony A105 or the Hiby R3 Pro?

I had both. If you don't need offline streaming and generally play your own files, and want best value for money then a Hiby R3 Pro.

Now I also had a Hiby R5 but prefer my ZX507 to that and even preferred the R3Pro too.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #715 of 2,068
The r3p is hard to beat for price. I still like the sound of the a105 a bit better, but the r3p sounds excellent, has great battery life, and can push some power through balanced.

Balanced is the way to go on the r3p imo. The r3p doesn't sound like a 200 dollar dap.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #716 of 2,068
The great thing about my iPod Classic (what I purchased the R3 Pro to replace) was that Apple stopped making them, so I used it for years without having to obsess over not having the latest model...

Now, though, I have to obsess again!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #717 of 2,068
The r3p is hard to beat for price. I still like the sound of the a105 a bit better, but the r3p sounds excellent, has great battery life, and can push some power through balanced.

Balanced is the way to go on the r3p imo. The r3p doesn't sound like a 200 dollar dap.

I would really like to switch to Linux based DAP after owning a couple of android DAP's. I uninstalled the Fiio Stock Music app on my M9 and installed the standalone version to see if it was any better. Talk about painful to use, like watching paint dry, it took almost 53 minutes to scan just over 9200 tracks. Then I installed the Pulsar app after I solved the problem of why it missed so many of tracks when I used it before. It took less than a minute to scan and find all 9244 tracks. I checked memory usage by both apps and found even when not running the Fiio Music app uses 110 MB of RAM compared to just 10.77 MB by Pulsar. Given the M9 only has 768 MB of RAM it is alot of RAM being used by an idle app. After seeing this I uninstalled the Fiio Music app and use Pulsar exclusively now. Using Pulsar reminds me why I miss using a Linux based DAP. It is so much faster and smoother to use than the stuck in the mud android Fiio Music app. I am really looking forward to owning another Linux based DAP for sure.

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #718 of 2,068

I'm very pleased with my R3Pro. I didn't want to spend too much, but I wanted to get as much value as I could in the $200-ish price range. Among the various offerings, the R3Pro seemed to be the most versatile - pretty much the Swiss Army knife of portable audio. In addition to being a self-contained player capable of Hi-Res (both local files and streaming from both Hi-Res subscription providers), it can also be a source for another DAC, or a DAC for another source. Throw in bi-directional bluetooth and WiFi and it will do just about everything. The specs were great and it seemed to review well, so I took a chance. And I am not disappointed. It sounds great. The Tidal/Qobuz interface could be better, but it's adequate; I can use phone or desktop apps to build my library and playlists. And the internet radio feature is great for when I just want to listen to SomaFM. It's really hard to beat for the price - it punches way above it's weight class, IMO, and I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #719 of 2,068
At moment on Aliexpress (app) you can get an R5 for about £218! Only £8 more that a R3Pro Sabre.

Big discount so expect a R5 Pro soon I'd say.

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #720 of 2,068
At moment on Aliexpress (app) you can get an R5 for about £218! Only £8 more that a R3Pro Sabre.
Big discount so expect a R5 Pro soon I'd say.
Maybe my recent volume of clicking on R5 pages & R6 Pro pages has made Hiby's data analytics come up with R5 Pro :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back