Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #511 of 2,068
Don't forget about the streaming stations. MrNaturalAZ complied a stations list here.

Thanks for that, I wondered why alot of stations from the 'old list' didn't work anymore. So I'll try this when I get mine.

I thought a lot of the streaming stations sounded fantastic on the old firmware.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #512 of 2,068
If I use this as a BT receiver from a smartphone, will the R3 Pro’s balanced output still be, er, a balanced output?

Jun 4, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #513 of 2,068
Thanks for that, I wondered why alot of stations from the 'old list' didn't work anymore. So I'll try this when I get mine.
I thought a lot of the streaming stations sounded fantastic on the old firmware.
The new consolidated list has more working stations. Mostly 128kbits, but some Soma stations are higher (can't remember the bitrate). I frequently forget that the streaming function exists as there's just too many features to remember :)

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #514 of 2,068
Hi, I installed two widgets onto my android phone that kinda enhance Hiby R3 Pro's functionality: Bluetooth Audio Device widget and Material Music widget.
First one lets you create button for each BT device that you connect your phone with and some actions, so mine is called Hiby, and on click it enables BT, connects to Hiby and starts Tidal on phone, and on second click it switches off BT.
Second one kinda emulates Hiby Music app's widget, that does not exist, and works with Hiby Link. Well, "works". It is playback widget that lets you select previous and next song for Hiby Link without the need to open the app itself. The play and pause buttons on the widget do not work, instead they open the app. How to set second one up: Follow app's instructions, i.e. enable Notification listener permission (otherwise widget will not work with Hiby Music) through widget's General settings, and through widget's Player settings set Switch back to default player settings to Off, enable Hiby music player and set it up as Custom player 1 in Control Mode 3. All other control modes do not work for Hiby Music. Well 2nd control mode also works, but on play/pause click it switches off BT so keep it in control mode no.3. When you click on app icon on widget's top right corner, it can switch to another phone music app, f.e. Tidal on phone, in case you want to use Tidal on phone and Ldac it to your Hiby.

Enjoy your enhanced Hiby link's Tidal functionality (with 2nd widget) and phone's Tidal functionality (with both widgets).

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #515 of 2,068
I knew you'd like it :) I actually hope the saber model doesn't sound too different as I liked the cirrus model. Although from where I'm buying it, it would be easy to exchange. What's impressive is they've got great dual clocking chips and a hiby custom fpga chip to help with jitter.

Plus BT 5.0, and 5g wifi. Things you don't necessary see on a sub 200 dollar dap.
I've always wondered what different clocking chips / capacitors and how they're implemented improve the sound. I don't know how to tell a difference. I see that most of the mid tier and high end daps are using quality Japanese components now. So the components used in the R3 are pretty good?

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #516 of 2,068
So after 48hrs comparing with my BTR5, both balanced using SE846 & K10U the BTR5 is still my preference for signature but not a lot in it. HIBY R3 Pro a bit brighter for me, BTR5 more musical.

A-B'ing using a Tidal MQA Studio Master.

Perfectly happy with both.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #518 of 2,068
I've always wondered what different clocking chips / capacitors and how they're implemented improve the sound. I don't know how to tell a difference. I see that most of the mid tier and high end daps are using quality Japanese components now. So the components used in the R3 are pretty good?

Yes, very good, as are in most daps, just usually not in the lower models. And the difference with the caps and chips is really how they're implemented. I do know they're using ndk chips and Panasonic tantalum caps which are both good.

The clocking chips along with the gate array chip help keep the digital signal timing accurate (binary data) being fed to the dac and then you get very low jitter and that helps reduce distortion down the chain. So the lower the jitter, the more accurate and stable the signal is.

Obviously you want that raw audio data as perfect as possible so the end product after it's amplified will sound as close to the original with no added distortion.

Oh and caps well they store voltage and regulate the output voltage to simplify things. They help with gain and keeping power output stable.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #519 of 2,068
My silver cable just arrived for my K10U (Fiio LS-2.5D with Litz pure silver, single crystal cable).

I know some say silver can be brighter than copper but for me its toned down the brightness a bit, made things sound smoother. Lovely cable both for build quality & comfort. I don't normally think cables change SQ but for me this has made the R3 Pro even more to my liking.

Shown here against the cheap silver plate copper one I was using that was fine for SQ but not very flexible and not comfy around ear with extended listening.

20200605_170549.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #520 of 2,068
My silver cable just arrived for my K10U (Fiio LS-2.5D with Litz pure silver, single crystal cable).

I know some say silver can be brighter than copper but for me its toned down the brightness a bit, made things sound smoother. Lovely cable both for build quality & comfort. I don't normally think cables change SQ but for me this has made the R3 Pro even more to my liking.

Shown here against the cheap silver plate copper one I was using that was fine for SQ but not very flexible and not comfy around ear with extended listening.

20200605_170549.jpg
The FIIO cables are very good i have the 2.5 ,4.4 and 3.5 and as you said it smooths out the sound no hint of brightness i use the Fiio FH7 best IEM i ever owned

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #521 of 2,068
The FIIO cables are very good i have the 2.5 ,4.4 and 3.5 and as you said it smooths out the sound no hint of brightness i use the Fiio FH7 best IEM i ever owned

I have the FiiO LC-2.5BS 45CM short cable for use with my SE846's with BTR5 plus a Fiio LC-4.4C one too.
This is first time I've bought a pure silver cable (think its only 0.78mm 2-pin one Fiio do).

As for the FH7, what's the most "high-end" ones you've used/owned? I still love my SE846's but the K10U does beat it out but not worth double the RRP.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #522 of 2,068
Hi,

I love this DAP but i really hate how complicated the Theme tools is and the official themes from Hibys site sucks. Anyone know where to find a good theme? Been browsing the internet and Hexagon is often discussed but I cant find it anywhere.

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #523 of 2,068
Hi,

I love this DAP but i really hate how complicated the Theme tools is and the official themes from Hibys site sucks. Anyone know where to find a good theme? Been browsing the internet and Hexagon is often discussed but I cant find it anywhere.

I can honestly say I have no interest in Themes. Ideally the screen should be off most of the time so not even bothered about Album Art.

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #524 of 2,068
I have a quick question about the UI / menu on R3 Pro (or the Saber version too). I looked through their official website and the manual, but couldn't find the answer...

It looks there Tidal has its own icon on the very top of the menu panel. Is it possible to disable or hide the Tidal icon, or to replace it with something else? :wink:

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #525 of 2,068
I have the FiiO LC-2.5BS 45CM short cable for use with my SE846's with BTR5 plus a Fiio LC-4.4C one too.
This is first time I've bought a pure silver cable (think its only 0.78mm 2-pin one Fiio do).

As for the FH7, what's the most "high-end" ones you've used/owned? I still love my SE846's but the K10U does beat it out but not worth double the RRP.
I have never used "High-end IEMS before this is the most expensive one i have used and boy does music sound so much better ..i couldn't believe what i was hearing with my ears, its a whole different level of audio ... i am sure the SE846 is just as good just never stepped up to this level before ...i wonder how the hiby r3pro sounds now? i owned it before i didn't like it ,it didn't have that warm sony sound i like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back