Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Feb 4, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #301 of 2,068
I can't speak for the difference between progressive or standard. Can you tell me how I can tell the difference when looking at the file?

These are the characteristics of the jpg I was talking about. This is used in the folder only, not embedded.
1580828543373.png
I wonder why weexisttocease has such an issue

You can't really tell from the file, I use Photoshop Elements. When I open the file and try to resave it will tell me if it is progressive or standard (baseline). If it is progressive I resave it as standard (baseline) jpg and I resize it and change the dpi if needed. The fastest way to save as standard jpg in Windows is to use Paint. Open the file in Paint and choose Save As, choose jpeg and resave it and it will be saved as standard jpg. Standard jpg's will load faster as they contain less information than progressive jpg's

I have also used Sony MediaGo to make sure I get the right size standard jpg image. It will link to Gracenote and download and resize the album art and embed it into the track file for you as standard jpg since Sony DAP's only work with standard jpg embedded artwork. If the track already has artwork embedded you can remove the existing artwork and choose to replace it with the correctly formatted artwork.

From your example though 1500 x 1500 is way to high and so is the vertical and horizontal resolution. I would open it and resave it at 450 x 450 and both resolutions at 72 or 96 dpi. If you don't have a photo editing program there are a few free ones to download.

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #303 of 2,068
You can't really tell from the file, I use Photoshop Elements. When I open the file and try to resave it will tell me if it is progressive or standard (baseline). If it is progressive I resave it as standard (baseline) jpg and I resize it and change the dpi if needed. The fastest way to save as standard jpg in Windows is to use Paint. Open the file in Paint and choose Save As, choose jpeg and resave it and it will be saved as standard jpg. Standard jpg's will load faster as they contain less information than progressive jpg's

I have also used Sony MediaGo to make sure I get the right size standard jpg image. It will link to Gracenote and download and resize the album art and embed it into the track file for you as standard jpg since Sony DAP's only work with standard jpg embedded artwork. If the track already has artwork embedded you can remove the existing artwork and choose to replace it with the correctly formatted artwork.

From your example though 1500 x 1500 is way to high and so is the vertical and horizontal resolution. I would open it and resave it at 450 x 450 and both resolutions at 72 or 96 dpi. If you don't have a photo editing program there are a few free ones to download.

Thanks. I have photoshop, so I’ll take a look. Windows photo viewer actually has a really handy resize feature now also.

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #304 of 2,068
Thanks. I have photoshop, so I’ll take a look. Windows photo viewer actually has a really handy resize feature now also.

Yeah I am still using Windows 7 and hope to move to Linux Mint in the next few months once the Linux kernel fully supports the ExFat file system. So Paint is my quick option for now.

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #307 of 2,068
Hello,

I cannot connect my Hiby R3 to my home wifi. It can connect to the wifi created by my phone though. I installed the latest update but it did not change anything. Any idea on how to solve this problem? Is there a post about that?

Thanks
There clearly are wifi problems with this unit as i have had numerous issues connecting to wifi.

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #308 of 2,068
There clearly are wifi problems with this unit as i have had numerous issues connecting to wifi.

I actually solved my own problem. The wifi had a WPA2 security protocol I changed it back to WPA and it works fine again. I changed wifi router some months ago and did not put it back on the hiby until today.

Sorry for "polluting" the thread.

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #309 of 2,068
I actually solved my own problem. The wifi had a WPA2 security protocol I changed it back to WPA and it works fine again. I changed wifi router some months ago and did not put it back on the hiby until today.

Sorry for "polluting" the thread.
I’m talking about connecting to simple public wifi networks, no password necessary .

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #310 of 2,068
I’m talking about connecting to simple public wifi networks, no password necessary .
If you're talking about public wifi networks that then show you an agreement to agree to on a smartphone, sorry I'm afraid there's no way for the R3pro to sign onto those :frowning2:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 11, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #311 of 2,068
Joe, any estimates when the R3 Pros will be back in stock anywhere? They seem to be sold out everywhere and I'd love to pick one up.

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #314 of 2,068
Are you using standard or progressive jpg for your artwork? I found only standard jpg works reliably on all the DAP's I have owned either embedded or copied to the album folder. I use 450 x 450 at I believe 72 dpi and they all display well on the smaller DAP screens. My Sony A17 only worked with embedded artwork and MediaGo downloads and embeds all album art at 450 x 450 at 72 dpi. My Shanling M0 worked with both embedded and folder, and my Fiio M7 and M9 seem to have fewer issues with embedded artwork. At 450 x 450, 72 dpi, standard jpg, every single one of my 8500+ songs displays the album art. Apple use to standardize their displays at 72 dpi, Windows really doesn't have a standard but some say it is 96 dpi. 72 dpi has worked for me with all my DAP's and keeps the album art fairly small. Anything above 96 dpi is likely overkill on a DAP display and wastes space with larger file sizes.
I can confirm that progressive jpg's can't be loaded :sweat_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 14, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #315 of 2,068
Impressions after 2 weeks ownership:

This DAP is a true jack of all trades. I have been using it as a stand-alone player, bluetooth streamer and digital transport with the USB-C to coax out cable (not included).

I have not been able to get UBS-C to Coax to work for me. The non-USB side is the type of coax that looks similar to an RCA, and I did update the firmware....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back