HiBy R2 - HiBy's entry-level HiFi digital audio player
Aug 1, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #496 of 871
Question for you owners. I saw mention of the resume feature above. I'm trying to find out if this is like a "play once" feature where I can play a song in a Playlist or album and it will stop after the track until I hit play to start the next track. Cowon and creative players have/had it. It's also present in some Android apps.

Trying to get away form using my phone to teach my fitness classes, but this is a key feature. Would love to be able to use one of these mini dap's for more than just running.

Aug 14, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #497 of 871
WoW, this looks really tasty!
With getting my XM4 and looking around LDAC players (and finding that my TempoTec V1A are doing that) I have been wondering if said TempoTec is the best budget / portable package out there ... and seems this HibY R2 has it beat? I try to see where the main differences are, ok, the R2 is smaller, but only 1 SD card slot, even smaller screen .. The whole DAC thing is not super important for me as I am mainly doing BT these days
Does it make sense for me to get the R2 just for that extra bit of portablity (yes, I am looking for a hoarding excuse) ... Tidal or other streaming service are also not my thing ...

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #499 of 871
It’ll be interesting to pair this with the to-be-launched Hiby WH2 LDAC-capable TWS
I ordered the WH2 (BA version) plus R2 bundle from the Kickstarter campaign. Looking forward to hearing the WH2, and while I already have the R3 Pro, it will be interesting to compare the two players, and nice to have a smaller DAP with nearly the same feature set (only lacking the balanced wired output).

They just shipped them; I imagine it will be a couple weeks to arrive to USA.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #500 of 871
I just bought an R2, just took it out of the box and charged it for a few hours.

All I get when I turn it on is a blank screen. No display, nothing to select. The on button is blue, but nothing on the screen.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #501 of 871
I just bought an R2, just took it out of the box and charged it for a few hours.

All I get when I turn it on is a blank screen. No display, nothing to select. The on button is blue, but nothing on the screen.

What am I doing wrong?
Try holding the button down for longer. It should show the HiBy logo in yellow, then after a minute or so the regular UI appears. Same for shutting down: A brief button press just blanks the screen. A longer one shows the yellow logo, then it shuts all the way down.

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #502 of 871
Try holding the button down for longer. It should show the HiBy logo in yellow, then after a minute or so the regular UI appears. Same for shutting down: A brief button press just blanks the screen. A longer one shows the yellow logo, then it shuts all the way down.
I held the button down for about 60 seconds, and nothing changed. The screen turns on, but it is dark gray and blank. When I shut it down, I hold it down again and it turns off. No yellow logo.

Maybe I just got a bad unit and need to return it.

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #503 of 871
I held the button down for about 60 seconds, and nothing changed. The screen turns on, but it is dark gray and blank. When I shut it down, I hold it down again and it turns off. No yellow logo.

Maybe I just got a bad unit and need to return it.
Seems like that’s the case. I’ve found HiBy support to be friendly and helpful - or maybe just a straight return/exchange with whatever store you bought from.

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #504 of 871
My W2/R2 bundle finally arrived. I'm quite pleased with the W2s so far. Small size, great sound via LDAC (I haven't tried UAT, tho), small and light. And a good pairing with the R2.

I'm also liking the R2. Compared to my R3Pro, it's smaller/lighter, has a more visually appealing (if sometimes less intuitive) UI, and even adds recording capability. No comparison to my serious portable digital recorder, but OTOH, it's nice to have something that small that I can always have with me, is inconspicuous if not truly stealth, and makes a listenable recording (it's not half bad at it's highest quality WAV or FLAC setting, tho it's MP3s are only voice quality) for those unexpected recording opportunities. The only things it lacks, compared to the R3Pro, is Airplay and DLNA, neither of which I use anyway. So I'm pretty happy with my purchase!

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #505 of 871
Can you elaborate on what role you envision each item (Mojo, R2, WH2) will play in your system?

Hi Joe,

My WH2 earbuds and R2 DAP bundle has arrived! I won't pair it with Mojo for now. My question is; I selected UAT as bluetooth codec in R2 settings. But in the upper left screen it says LDAC. Is UAT a LDAC codec? Or do I have to update firmware or something to have UAT written in screen?

I haven't fiddled around with MSEB and EQ yet but I am loving it so far on my first listen! And I can confirm that my 1 TB microsd card is working flawlessly. Sandisk Extreme Pro 1 TB A2 V30.

But I have some minor issues. When powering up sometimes it is stuck in Hiby logo screen and won't boot. I have to hold down the power button and try again. And sometimes It shuts down on its own.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #506 of 871
I selected UAT as bluetooth codec in R2 settings. But in the upper left screen it says LDAC
Was about to post the same question. I also just took delivery of an R2, to use with my new WH2s as an ultra portable system. Connected via BT and selected UAT as the codec, but it shows LDAC in the top left. I’ve tried all 3 UAT options in the codec settings menu.

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #507 of 871
Was about to post the same question. I also just took delivery of an R2, to use with my new WH2s as an ultra portable system. Connected via BT and selected UAT as the codec, but it shows LDAC in the top left. I’ve tried all 3 UAT options in the codec settings menu.

Yeah can you hear any difference between UAT (1.2M) vs LDAC? Also do you have shut down problem?

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #508 of 871
Yeah can you hear any difference between UAT (1.2M) vs LDAC? Also do you have shut down problem?
No shutdown problem, no. What are you experiencing? I asked hiby by email. Got a perplexing response.

Currently, the HiBy R2 only supports UAT, not UAT TWS. We will add UAT TWS into R2 in a future firmware update. Stay tuned.

I didn’t know there was a difference between UAT and UAT TWS. So looks like for now we are “limited” to LDAC on the R2.

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #509 of 871
My W2/R2 bundle finally arrived. I'm quite pleased with the W2s so far. Small size, great sound via LDAC (I haven't tried UAT, tho), small and light. And a good pairing with the R2.

I'm also liking the R2. Compared to my R3Pro, it's smaller/lighter, has a more visually appealing (if sometimes less intuitive) UI, and even adds recording capability. No comparison to my serious portable digital recorder, but OTOH, it's nice to have something that small that I can always have with me, is inconspicuous if not truly stealth, and makes a listenable recording (it's not half bad at it's highest quality WAV or FLAC setting, tho it's MP3s are only voice quality) for those unexpected recording opportunities. The only things it lacks, compared to the R3Pro, is Airplay and DLNA, neither of which I use anyway. So I'm pretty happy with my purchase!

Do you have any indication on your WH2 box or manual that whether you have single dynamic configuration or dual BA configuration? It is supposed to be dual BA with WH2 & R2 bundle but I can't confirm because configuration is not written anywhere. Also since you started with LDAC, have you been able to compare it to UAT?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #510 of 871
No shutdown problem, no. What are you experiencing? I asked hiby by email. Got a perplexing response.

Currently, the HiBy R2 only supports UAT, not UAT TWS. We will add UAT TWS into R2 in a future firmware update. Stay tuned.

I didn’t know there was a difference between UAT and UAT TWS. So looks like for now we are “limited” to LDAC on the R2.

What I am experiencing may stem from my clicks on touchscreen being not executed. What I mean is sometimes I click on screen to navigate and it freezes now and then. Once it freezes, there is very little chance that my clicks will execute some time later. No. The screen freezes (but music continues) and I have to shutdown it manually. Which is frustrating.

Fingers crossed for UAT TWS firmware update but yeah I don't think it now even supports non-TWS UAT!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back