Hi this is my first post looking for recomendation for sub $200 open over ear headphone that would pair well with an audioengine d1
May 13, 2015 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

baldmetalnerd

New Head-Fier
Hi I've used this site a fair amount before joining reading posts and researching. What I'm looking for is a sub $200 but I would go up to $250 or $300 if I can find the "perfect" open over ear headphone. I've just recently gotten into "good" headphones. I first dipped my toes in about 2 years ago by buying a monoprice 8323 which in my opinion has unbeatable sound quality for the price. But since getting better headphones I now realize they sound quite muddy compared to better sounding headphones. Then about a year ago I got a pair of Harman Kardon C/Ls and thought that was a big upgrade. Also I just got the most recommended headphones on the planet the audio technica ath-m50xs and I am VERY impressed by their sound to me they sound as good as my jbl northridge e90 speakers and sub setup I pulled the trigger when amazon was offering a $50 credit when you bought them. I also just recently got an audioengine d1 and that was a big audio upgrade as well in my opinion. So what I'm looking for is open headphones because I am curious about experiencing the more "speaker like" feel of them that have good bass but does not to be overpowering with good clarity I don't mind if the highs are slightly rolled off like on the ath-m50xs but I do want them to be present for sure. I'll be listening to these exclusively with my audioengine d1. My musical preferences if you can guess from my user name are metal, rock, industrial, some folk and country, and classical once in a blue moon. Thanks in advance for the help guys and gals!

May 13, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 6
You might enjoy trying some Grados. Many people love them for rock. And you get the SR80e and they are not very expensive and easy to drive. It would be worth ordering them from somewhere that has a good return policy (in case you don't like them) just to demo them.

They do have more aggressive mids and treble than the M50 series. But they sure can make a guitar sound great :)

May 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 6
+1 on Grados for on-ear open headphones.  I love mine.

Not sure where you're located, but if you head to the Grado website and look for dealers in your area, there might be one where you can go listen to them.  I was pleasantly surprised to find a Grado dealer just down the street from my office (Tempe, AZ) when I was looking for mine last year.

May 13, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 6
If you had and amp, the K 7xx is the best $200 headphone I have heard.

+1

I got to hear the K7XX at a recent head-fi meet, and it was really good. Better than my experience with the DT880 and Q701, better than my K612 Pros (because of the better bass extension) for other open headphones in that price range. Really did do everything right for me, and I just ordered one in the recent massdrop.

But you do need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back