Hi-Res Portable Player from Sony?
Mar 1, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 20
How about looking at a MiniDisc recorder? The SQ is certainly high-res plus many other great features...........

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 20
I was hoping for something with "better than CD" sound. Like some sort of ATRAC Lossless that improves upon the original recording--by some sort of up- or cross-conversion to a one-bit system. Like what 1-bit DAC did for PCDPs.

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyshedd
I was hoping for something with "better than CD" sound. Like some sort of ATRAC Lossless that improves upon the original recording--by some sort of up- or cross-conversion to a one-bit system. Like what 1-bit DAC did for PCDPs.

You can't polish a turd, so-to-speak. If your source is 44.1/16, upsampling is nice, but it's not going to do much IMHO

ATRAC Lossless exists; it was introduced in 3.2 or 3.3 of SonicStage. However, it's not supported yet on any player.

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
Some portable DVD players (Panasonic, Toshiba, for example) allow for DVD-A playback.

Paul

Oh yeah? Do they support gapless playback and would they play a hybrid (DVD-V, DVD-A, MP3-DVD) disc?

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 20
I just nabbed this from a story on the Audiophile Audition:

"...Sony has developed a new sound-processing technology they call "digital audio enhancement." It is designed to restore some of the fidelity lost by creating the data-reduced digital audio files for storage on devices such as MP3 players and iPods."

When this comes to pass I am going to drop my current DAP like a hot potato.

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

"...Sony has developed a new sound-processing technology they call "digital audio enhancement." It is designed to restore some of the fidelity lost by creating the data-reduced digital audio files for storage on devices such as MP3 players and iPods."

That sounds like a nasty idea, so you do a lossy encoding into say MP3, and Sony's software tries to guess what data has been left out? Eeek!! It would be better for Sony to back a lossy format that actually sounds good, like ogg vorbis. Or just encode losslessly if you want it to sound like the original CD.

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 20
my hope is that it will decrease some of the harshness of compressed music. even some cheap pcdp's sound harsh to my ears. i listen to mpc files on my lifedrive now; which is pretty good; but if sony can outdo the best sounding compression with this, more power to them.

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

I just nabbed this from a story on the Audiophile Audition:

When this comes to pass I am going to drop my current DAP like a hot potato.

You can't restore whats gone. What they can do it try to make it sound better like you do with an EQ. Which is pretty similar to what creative do on their Xi-Fi cards.

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
You can't restore whats gone. What they can do it try to make it sound better like you do with an EQ. Which is pretty similar to what creative do on their Xi-Fi cards.

its basically like interpolating a picture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back