Hi, is anybody into uplifting trance music..??!
Dec 26, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brabus9999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of classic trance tracks, is it just me or do others here feel that most of the older tracks are much more uplifting and melodic than these newer ones? And would have to agree with plonter that many of these trance classics are still rockin’ even today.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I’ll be sure to look for them the next time I stop by the music store.

BTW, found this on Wiki >Uplifting trance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... What do guys think? On the money or still off the mark?

Gritt

b=brabus9999,i hope you'll find some in the music stores in your area. in my country you cant get almost nothing related to uplifting trance,only some new releases from time to time,and only in one special store located in tel-aviv,that deals with all sort of trance genres.
tell you the truth..most of my tracks are not on cds,because they coming out on vinels they're very hard to get. had to ******** them!
maybe the only way to get them is to buy from anjunabeats store directly, or armada store also.

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #32 of 56
there is a certain amount of truth in that epic / melodic trance has had it's hey day, but really, some of it's passing has been propelled by 'haters' who sneer at anything not FOTM, typically students, quite often... i try to keep an open mind, keep some of mine, & check some of theirs
normal_smile .gif
. i see all electronic music as techno based progressive, might upset a few people saying that... but we all got our own compass & everything has something in common.

i quite like a lot of late 90's platipus records & REACT complations (now RESIST), art of trance - octopus is a hands down classic (so is the capricorn mix) also chab, steve gibbs, praha... i do miss the olmec heads, they were superb, also PUSH (M.I.K.E), yves deruyter if you like something more ravey... what about john oo flemming, his productions are superb, though he may be a little more prog / tech his compilations are blinding, check out white label republic, some melodic psy & club trance working quite well together.

(imo)

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #33 of 56
Hi HippieTom,
Thanks for the suggestion; after a bit of googling I found Transwave’s “Land of Freedom” on YouTube. My initial impression is that this is not the type of epic/melodic/uplifting trance that I’m used to: the beat is much faster and there is so much more going on around the listener. Mind you, not that this is in anyway bad, it’s just that I’m used to something … not sure how to accurately describe it … epic (for lack of a better word). Thanks again, I’ll give some of there other tracks a try.

plonter,
Even during its peak (late 90’s to early 2000), the trance scene in Bangkok was never a large one, and with the current focus being on hip-hop and R&B, it [trance] has just about disappeared [gone underground]. So, finding a music store well stocked with the latest trance tracks is more difficult than the proverbial needle in a haystack; but that doesn’t stop me from trying though. What online store would you say is the best in terms of selection, price and service? (I’m not sure if this is against forum rules, but if it is, then please PM me the details. Thanks!)

Hi nvkid909,
Just curious, how would you define “ravey trance”, and is epic/melodic/uplifting trance considered “ravey”?

Gritt

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #34 of 56
well i think it boils down to the actual sounds used & the bpm's. probably more ravey stuff (in the uk at least) would be a bit faster & lean towards hard house, hard trance, acid techno etc... also i think there's two principal definitions of 'rave' (again, at least in the uk from what i can see), indoor club rave (see above), & outdoor rave. in clubs they tend to attract a specific crowd for the music being played whereas raves they don't care & it's all about freedom from constraints. also the things being consumed by the type of people going dictates to some degree what the music will be like
tongue_smile.gif
mushrooms go with psy, K goes with hardhouse, e goes with trance & techno... ok that's stereotyping, but it's quite often true.

but overall i think if it's fast & high-pitched then there will be more younger folks.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #35 of 56
Ooh my kind of people, reach for the lasers, safe as fcuk.
biggrin.gif

Yup i love trance, loved it for years, went to global gathering, such a wild experience, eddie halliwell, van buuren you name it.

Oakenfold anthems is a good cd to kick things off with, granted a bit more dance but i love it, ministry of sound trance albums are good especially trance nation.

System f aka ferry corsten is a particular favourite of mine.

YouTube - Oakenfold Anthems - Released 18th August

Crowd went ape for this particular favourite.

YouTube - Vincent De Moore - Fly Away

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #36 of 56
nvkid909,
I've gotta agree there ... trance is excellent with e, while k was made for hardhouse (or so they tell me). Fast & high-pitched ... that description makes me cringe, but it is nonetheless, a very good description of trance in it's current state IMO; where's all the melody gone ... wait, or is it not trance anymore?

Hi Huxley,
Thanks for album the recommendation. Most of the tracks on Oakenfold Anthems is similar to MOS Trance Nation, which I already have, but I might buy it anyway since there are some [tracks] that I'm still missing. One of the reviews of Amazon, says that Oakenfold Anthems is "mixed well and brilliantly put together"; I'm curious how it would compare to Trance Nation in this respect?

Speaking of System F, "Out of the Blue" is one of my all time favorite melodic trance tracks; give it a listen here < YouTube - System F - Out Of The Blue 90's dance >. I especially like the the part from 1:09 - 2:30, and 2:52 - 4:00; reminds me of the good ol' days.

Hey, thanks for that track. Just the first few seconds and I'm already lovin' it; definitely my kind of trance. After some googlin', it seems that Fly Away was released since 2001; how could I've missed it?!

To all,
I've never been able to put my finger on what actually makes a trance track "uplifting", I only know how it makes me feel, but after listening to a few of the older trance classics, I think that it's the melody rather than the BPM which offers the distinction; the uplifting tracks are more melodic ... the melody is the vehicle that takes the listener along the trance journey, while the BPM is the speed that they're traveling; without the melody, they're [the listener] going nowhere fast. Hmmm ... hope that makes sense.

Gritt

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #37 of 56
Well i own two mos trance nation albums and i did grab oakenfold in flac but it was partly corrupted, anyway the oakenfold anthems was mixed together far better, like the dj actually made an attempt to make it seamless rather than using just putting two beats together and just having them change halfway through if you get what i mean.

When listening to it gapless in winamp it was awesome, the continuation really kept you uplifted a sign of a very good dj, he knows how to play to the crowds.

This is another favourite of mine, ilo - rapture [riva mix] very good for gym work.

YouTube - iio - Rapture (Riva Mix)

Oh i just bumped into vincent de moor as well, very glad i did at the time.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #38 of 56
I know what you mean, most if not all the tracks on T/N sound like they are mixed that way i.e. slapped together rather than sewn; guess I'll have to get Oakenfold Anthems sooner rather than later. BTW, Oakenfold played at MOS Bangkok a while back, and he really did know how to get the crowd excited; the place was packed and you could feel the good vibes in the air.

Gritt

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #39 of 56
I still listen to "uplifting" trance music every now and then. Is it the same as Vocal trance? Trance music was very big here in Northern California at the end of the 90's and early 2000's with all of the raves.

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #40 of 56
I would say that vocal trance could be "uplifting" if the accompanying melody is able to transport the listener along with the beat; at least that's my take on it. Seems like the hey day of trance was the same all over the world: late 90's to early 2000. The last time I was in SF - visiting my aunt in Redwood City during 2005 - I couldn't find any clubs that played trance.

Gritt

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #41 of 56
there was only a few good female voices on trance & those tracks got caned so much they became 'commercial'; sarah maclachlan, justine suissa & jan johnston, then michelle adamson did quite a lot of psy-trance work.

overall trance doesn't age well unless it's really dark & technoid, maybe it's just me, but remembering some of those reach for the air moments makes me cringe now. i'm getting old
frown.gif

EDIT: just surfing around - ferry corsten popped into my head. wicked album "twice in a blue moon" - think that qualifies as uplifting trance, his best album so far i do believe!

Jan 5, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #43 of 56
OK guys, there is an album I want and I cant find it anywhere. Nirvana Lounge 02 (2CD), The import version we get here in the states only has one CD and half the music, anyone know where I can get the 2 CD set by Claude Challe?

Jan 5, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #44 of 56
Nice to know lot of u into Trance...

some recommendations for starters:
ATB,
Armin Van Buuren
Paul Van Dyk
Tiesto (very popular..too commercial nowadays)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back