Hi! I'm new
Mar 5, 2006 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

comet

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been browsing through this forum for about a month now and have finally decided to get registered. I've been fascinated with the great sound quality that headphones can actually produce (as opposed to the mostly crap-only-capable headphones available at department stores and supermarkets) ever since hearing music through a $10 Koss portable headphone (not sure what exactly the model number was, but it began with a TM-xxx). Headphones I currently own that are in usable condition include Koss KTX-1, AKG K-66, Sennheiser HD-201 and Koss KSC-75. The AKG K-66 was the undisputed favourite until I heard the KSC-75 (Thank you Head-Fi!!). Man! Those clip-ons could have been the best 14 bucks I ever spent. The KSC-75 is not without fault however. The bass seems quite a bit bloated. Also, a bit of warmth is leaked out as the clip-ons don't stay on as tight as would headphones with a headband. The HD-201 is the opposite of the KSC-75. One is very easy to drive, the other requires the volume knob to be turned up. One has too much bass, the other has too little... I haven't listened to the HD-201 enough, but from what I've heard I can tell they have a unique flavour in the mids. And, I think I sense the famous "Sennheiser veil" through these cans. I'm considering buying the Allessandro MS-1 next. I'm looking for a pair of cans that perform well on all types of music> pop, rock, jazz, classical etc. Sound quality is paramount; looks, comfort etc. are a non-issue. Also, the headphones not requiring an amp (which I believe costs around $70) would be very preferable. Are my $99 better spent otherwise?

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 8
Welcome Comet.
I think the MS-1 would be a great addition as these are a very nice set of cans. Easy to drive and well suited to a wide variety of musical styles. Comfort can be an issue until adjusted but this doesn't affect the sound quality which is very good for $100. I use Stax at work and the MS-1 at home and don't feel I'm missing out too much with the MS-1 which is the best compliment I can give them.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi Comet
orphsmile.gif

I'm gonna beat all the headphoneus supremuses to it and say welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet.

Cheers!

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but Smeggy (and others), you've convinced me that I should buy the Ms-1s. When I bought my first set of decent headphones, the HD-590s, I came close to buying the SR-125s instead. I haven't regretted my decision, but I've missed the Grado sound ever since. The way you've describe the Ms-1s in various threads makes me think that they're exactly what I'm looking for. I'll be ordering on Monday!

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 8
I think the Sennheiser HD 485 or Audio-Technica A500 is a better all rounder than a Grado/Alessandro, especially if your listening includes jazz or classical.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 8
About the HD201's bass, i think the more burn in they get the better their bass gets. Mine's at about 60-70 hrs of random burnin, and the bass has a lot more "thump" and definition than when it was right out of the box.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 8
I think they will, Smeggy. If they are a more neutral version of the SR-125 like many people are saying around here, then they'll be exactly what I'm looking for. I spent a little quality time with the SR-125, and I really liked it. At the time I didn't have enough cash to pick up two sets of headphones. I won't be replacing anything with the MS-1s, just augmenting the collection. Thanks for your word of caution, anyway! I'll let everyone know what I think when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back