Hi i'm new here, need a recommendation for a good set of headphones, more info inside.
Jun 11, 2013 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

carlsandoval

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, My name is Carl and I am italian living in Austria.

I am looking for a nice set of full headphones that i can wear at work, it's a desk job so i'm looking for the following:

- great sounding

- 100 - 150 euros

- good passive isolation

- a bit heavy on the bass

- does not have strong clamping force as i wear glasses

I have shure E215 that i use for travel and i had active noise cancelling headphones, the akg 495 NC, till the headband snapped after 2 months of using them, I don't like the other active noise cancelling headphones as I did a lot of research on them for what i wanted and the AKG's were perfect but the quality was crap.

I want full headphones because wearing IEM's all day is annoying and having tinnitus makes it worse, thats why great isolation is a must.

I appreciate the help and look forward to some info from you guys.

Thanks

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 9
To be honest, not having heavy clamping and having isolation is hard to achieve. XB500 is decent. They are as comfortable as hell with very little clamping force, but they don't have good passive isolation(some, but not good).

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 9
I've tried the 500 and 700, not a big fan of the sony "sound"  or those models in particular.

Also I have a giant head so the clamping force in general is more due to the size of my noggin :D

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #6 of 9
I finally bought the audio technica m40fs and they sound great and did some light EQ on my spotify, but after 2 days i'm going to have to take them back.

The reason is because i have tinnitus and it is already enough annoying as it is, for some reason after i had these headphones on, at a low volume and not high volume, the ringing got more and it actually hurts the inside of my ears.

I currently have the shure E215 that are great and i use all the time and sound great, but i need something comfortable i can wear for 8 hours at my desk at work, something with the same sound signature of the E215 in ears.

Keep in mind i've tried active noise cancelling, i have the akg N495nc which were more than perfect, but after 2 months on one end they just snapped, well considering I bough them used (they we still brand new used only once in the box), AKG told me to go F%$# myself because i have no receipt, and even though i found out these headphones are having the same issues with many people from reviews online, AKG tells me they are successful headphones for them.

I also tried the sony super expensive noise cancelling ones but the highs were to harsh, i need something with more bass presence.

I don't want to get the bose because of the sound quality and the fact that the headhphones don't work after the battery is drained.

At this point i'm out of ideas on what to buy and it's stressing me out because i've tried so many different headphones and either the construction is bad or the audio quality is bad.

I would appreciate any help if more is possible. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 9
If you like some bass emphasis like on the 215s, try the V-Moda M-100, they are as close to indestructable as headphones get. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 9
i've heard many good things about the vmoda, i might give them a try.

when i returned the audio technica's i tried the ultrasone 580 and 780 and liked them a lot, plus upon doing some research i found out they have something in them that does not cause listening fatigue like other headphones, which is something i think had a part in me not liking the audio technica's, only issue is the  clamp force that was squeezing my glasses to much.

i've decided to try and fix the akg n495 with some poxy glue or something specifically for plastic then after it dries i'm going to duct tape it in the area of breakage.

if it does not work then i'm going to probably buy the ultrasones.

anyone here have the 580 or 780 and could tell me if listening for many hours caused listeners fatigue and if you can somehow change the padding to something softer??

thanks again.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 9
I had the 580s and returned them for a pair of M50s, they are very cool basshead cans, they actually have more bass than the 780s. I also tried the PRO900, which is better than both and my personal favorite Ultrasone. My personaly oppinion is that Ultrasone's have harsh highs. The M100 is more in the PRO900 class in terms of fidelity, but smoother and weaker bass. I love the M100 signature more, it has darker highs, which is great for not fatiguing you. The PRO900 is really awesome for bass lovers in its own right though, but both are a class above the 580 or 780 imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back