Hi guys, I'm having trouble deciding here...
Sep 26, 2002 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
Hi!

I am absolutely torn between these headphones: DT770, DT990, DT931, DT531...

I would use it for ROCK !! gotta love the rock... Nothing heavy though.. I'll orbably be getting a COrda ha1 sooner or later...

Pick for me!!!

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 44
I think this might be coincidence, but lately there has been a growing post of dt770pro. Personally I feel that this phone is the best in rock. The bass is punchy and very deep and tight.not boomy at all. very musical to me...
when playing spice girls-viva forever.. the soundstage is wide and quite spacious, while the songs goes along very well..

a v nice phone.
never heard of the other that you have mentioned though. But when "rock" comes to mind, I can only recommend a few phones, they are dt770pro, dt250(250 and 80) and sony cd3000.

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Guyferd
I think this might be coincidence, but lately there has been a growing post of dt770pro. Personally I feel that this phone is the best in rock. The bass is punchy and very deep and tight.not boomy at all. very musical to me...
when playing spice girls-viva forever.. the soundstage is wide and quite spacious, while the songs goes along very well..

a v nice phone.
never heard of the other that you have mentioned though. But when "rock" comes to mind, I can only recommend a few phones, they are dt770pro, dt250(250 and 80) and sony cd3000.

Thanks guyferd, but, to be honest, I already knew all that..
wink.gif
You just described why I'm considering that headphone! But I also heard that the 531 are very good - (jan and lini say they are the best) - and I've heard a number of people favorizing either the 990 or the 931... You'd think i shouldn't get confused about headphones after more than half a years membership here at head-fi... Guess again!!!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 44
oooh
sorry for my ignorance!!
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway I have never heard of the other beyer's lineup. but I really like beyer headphones in general.. maybe it;s their signature sound...
I don't really like sennheiser that much in comparison
Maybe I should have a listen to 531 and 990 ...
But I heard they are too bright for rock.. just a thought.

Thanks for the info though.

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 44
Four circumaural headphones, three open, one closed.

Rock music? The DT770 with a strong amplifier.

OTOH, if you already have the closed DT250-80, and wanted an open headphone for some reason, you could consider the DT990. Reportedly, it's "close" to being the open equivalent of the DT770.

HeadRoom calls the DT931 "a little lean on bass". After looking at HeadRoom's impedance curve, I can understand why. It's also expensive. Spend that budget on a potent amp instead.

Personally, I don't have any knowledge or an informed opinion about the DT531. HeadRoom doesn't list it either.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
Closed
Frequency Response = 5-35,000 Hz
Nominal Impedance = 250 Ohms
Nominal SPL = 96 dB
THD <= 0.2%
Power handling capacity = 100 mW
Average pressure on ear = 3.5 N
Weight without cable = 270 g

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
Open
Nominal SPL = 96 dB
THD <= 0.2%
Average pressure on ear = 3.5 N
Weight without cable = 250 g

Beyerdynamic DT 931
Open
Nominal SPL = 96 dB
THD <= 0.2%
Power handling capacity = 50 mW
Average pressure on ear = 2.5 N
Weight without cable = 295 g

Beyerdynamic DT 531
Open
Frequency Response = 10-30,000 Hz
Nominal SPL = 94 dB
THD <= 0.2%
Average pressure on ear = 2 N
Weight without cable = 240 g

EDIT: Since it was mentioned by andrzejpw below, specs for the DT831:

Beyerdynamic DT 831
Closed
Frequency response = 5-32,000 Hz
Nominal SPL = 96 dB
THD <= 0.2%
Power handling capacity = 50 mW
Average pressure on ear = 2.5 N
Weight without cable = 295 g

TravelLite

Sep 26, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 44
Pick on you? We're supposed to pick on you? Okay, you look just like Homer Simpson. Pitiful.
wink.gif

Wait a minute, you said "Pick for me". Sorry.

Okay: Beyer 770 Pro.
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, I'd avoid the 931 and 831, they are too bright and lean and slightly fatiguing, both of them.

But you can't go wrong with the 990 Pro or the 531. They are not quite as relaxed, non-fatiguing, forgiving, slamming and musical as the 770 Pro, but to my ears, they are slightly more enjoyable than the 250-80.

Sep 26, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 44
first of all, i'd like to thank Tomcat for his recommendation(s) of the DT 770. too bad i didn't get those cans sooner.

i listened to the DT 931, DT831, and DT 250-80 at the headroom show. and now i own the DT 770.

Flasken, you want the DT 770. i agree with Tomcat that the DT 831/931 are bright and thin -- not very good for rock. actually, i thought the DT 250-80s were quite nice -- warm, smooth, and forgiving. very good for rock, i think.

the DT 770s will probably not be that forgiving, however.
i listened to the DT 770s through my receiver last nite and they didn't really do too much for me.
but through the moretto HAP-03, wow!!

i think the DT 770 sounds great with everything, NOT JUST ROCK. i love them with classical and jazz as well.

Sep 26, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 44
I am also looking a the Beyer line of headphones. Will my low end Cha-47 amp power the dt770 pro?

Sep 26, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 44
sorry for threadcrapping here but, guyferd did you state that you were listening to the spice girls, sorry but I believe that disqualifies you from being a credible source in this discussion....no offense intended..

Sep 26, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
Pick on you? We're supposed to pick on you? Okay, you look just like Homer Simpson. Pitiful.
wink.gif

Wait a minute, you said "Pick for me". Sorry.

Did I make a severe grammatical mistake and therefore the "Misunderstanding" ?? I'm not very good at english gramma.. When people play with words like you did, i sometimes fear they are mocking my lacking english speaking capabilities...

- btw, no bad feelings, just wondering!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat

Okay: Beyer 770 Pro.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, THose are the ones I'll get, thanks alot fellas!

- and for the record.... I own the DT250-80

Sep 26, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 44
Sarcasm and humor is sometimes hard to follow. Throw in translation to a different language and it can go out the window.

This is only a test. If this were reality they would have given us better instructions. My doctor said I was fat so I asked for a second opinion. So he said I was ugly too.

I’d rather have a bottle in front of than a frontal lobotomy.

Sorry, Back to the thread at hand.

Sep 26, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
the DT 770s will probably not be that forgiving, however.
and, IMO, the DT 770 needs a tube amp to fill in the slight hole in the mids. i listened to the DT 770s through my receiver last nite and they didn't really do too much for me.
but through the moretto HAP-03, wow!!

i think the DT 770 sounds great with everything, NOT JUST ROCK. i love them with classical and jazz as well.

i love the DT 770s so much, i'm planning on selling my HD580s and equinox cable really soon. i don't think i can ever go back to the thin sound of the HD580s!
smily_headphones1.gif

Damn, what's this moretto amp you keep talking about? Any links? Now you have my attention
biggrin.gif

I agree that the beyer 770's are all around great cans for every genre out there. Just wish the headband and cord were longer, otherwise, its a great headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back