HI FI Wireless Headphones
Jan 8, 2013 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

marlin

New Head-Fier
Hi, i'm searching for a Hi-Fi wireless headphones, to listen music and watch TV.
At first, before to really study the offers on the internet, i thought to allow 100€ (130$)
Do you think this is possible to find a think like that?

I've read everywhere reviews and posts about seinheiser RS180, and everybody seems to love it. So do you think i could be a good idea to extend my budget for a RS 180?
Do you think that another model could be better or suffisant?
Sony MDR 6500 for exemple?  on this one, i can plug two differentes imputs which is great for my use (TV + amp)

Thank you for your answers

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 7
Not sure about RS180 but I have tried RS220 that sound very warm & dark with great but not excellent soundstage & details. Downside of it is that when there's too much wireless connectivity it will cause cuts in music. Depending on numbers of wireless connectivity, it may be vary. During my audition at the store the cuts are pretty long around 1-2sec every 30sec or so. That's because they have several router running.

That salesman there told me that RS180 has better signal balance than RS220. :)

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 7
I haven't tried the Sennheiser wireless headphones, but the Parrot Zik weren't bad at all - and I demo'd those in a fairly "hot" (lot of other wireless gadgets) area. Probably over budget though, and if you aren't using a good number of their features, they're going to seem overpriced if evaluated just based on their sonic performance.

I've read that the Koss RF wireless headphones will have interference issues in most modern settings (they use 900MHz RF), I don't know if the various Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, etc models improve on this or not (BillsonChang007's post leads me to believe the answer is probably "somewhat") - I have no idea if the Koss RF headphones sound good or not though. I just remember reading about interference as a problem with them a few years ago, and I doubt that's gotten better (but honestly I can't even use my old 900MHz phones anymore, they pick up too much extraneous noise - I remember years ago when I was one of the only people on the block with any RF gadgets like that, and they worked just dandy so I guess if you live out in the sticks, it will be less of a concern overall).

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 7
thank you for your answers guys.
The Parrot zik is a bluetooth one, and it won't permit to listen to TV (for exemple) without a cable, no?

as i want to optimize my future-buy, i have another question: 
do you think that i can find a model which can come with me outside, to listen music on my smartphone? With i cable i think (no bluetooth for fidelity quality, no?)

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm not sure on the Zik with your TV honestly. It would work with your smart-phone certainly, but I'm not sure with the TV. The Sennheiser or other RF solutions won't work without their base station though.

Have you looked at the Koss Striva? (I haven't heard these, and I want to put that out up front) - they will work with analog sources (like the TV) through a base-station device, but also with myriad other devices (they're WiFi based - really quite innovative in terms of their features, but I have no need for a wireless headphone, so I haven't tracked down a pair).

The only other model I'm thinking of would be the SMS Audio wireless headphones, but the sound isn't very good (based on the wired version of the same). They would work in the situations you want, but again, the sound isn't ~$400 good.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 7
any review for the audio quality of the sony MDR-DS6500?  
The main advantage with it, is the 2 different input possibilities : 1 optical for PC + 1 analog for TV : i can swith without touching a wire.
this is not the case of the RS 180.
What do you think?

May 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi all, this is my first post, pardon my English (I'm from the Netherlands).

I use the Sony MDR DS6500 now for a week and like to know what (and why) you decided.
I discovered a couple of things I now hate about 'wireless headphones'.

Let me tell you about my situation;
All of my devices are connected by HDMI-out to HDMI-in on my Onkyo SR605 receiver. Therefor all my video outputs 1080p and uncompressed lossless audio straight into the receiver. 

• even if my Onkyo SR605 did had a optical-out (which it doesn't), I (think) it wouldn't be able to output audio to the optical-in on the Sony.
    As far I know, HDMI in > to optical-out doesn't work. If anyone bag the difference, please tell me!
    * even if it works: hdmi can handle all formats (including 7.1) - optical/spdif will always downscale it because it can't handle formats > 5.1 DD.
  • Conncecting the Sony set to a keyboard * (line out > line in Sony) => there's is a delay about 200ms.
    So every key I touch will sound later in my ears. That is the reason I will send it back.
  • Due to point 1. I tried to attacted the Sony's set directly on the optical-out on my devices (like a mediaplayer). Optical-out > Optical-in sounds better. But then again: if you play (for example) a 7.1 MA it will downscale the signal to max. DD 5.1. 
    To be clear: I'm completly frustrated by the fact, no manufactur build a HDMI Wireless headphone!!!
    You ALWAYS make an offer by outputting audio-signals higher dan DD 5.1. I really hate it.
  • Directly attached to device also means: you always have to switch the optical cable between tv-receiver, mediaplayer, ps3 etcetera.
    Very annoying carrying the thing arround between pc, mediaplayer, tv, ps3.

Because you cannot attached a cable directly in the headphone (for direct output *), I now consider to replace them for a stereo-headphone (analog). Wireless gives me to much (connection) limitations.

Can anyone help me with a couple of questions? I did my research and doubting between the;
- Audio Technica ATH-M50
- Beyerdynamics DT770 PRO
- V-Moda Crossfade M100
- Sennheiser RS180 or RS220

Also important: I don't want to use the front PHONO output jack. If I do, it disables the speakers and that's not what I want.
On the back of the Onkyo SR605, there is a REC-OUT, a ZONE2-out (analog). Can I use one of these? I don't like to buy another headphone-amp (i think Zone2 needs that?).

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back