Hi-end portable! Ultrasone EDITION 8 revealed
Nov 16, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #31 of 133

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Posts
12,885
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I knew you would show up!!

I should really refrain from judging cans before they are released (or before I've heard them myself) but 1500$ for portable cans seems little too much....Oh well, I'm sure someone will try it and give some impressions
wink.gif



LOL...I was just browsing and found the thread by coincidence, but my opinion is that if they sound anything simlar to the 9 and 7, they sound very good to me, comfort and look aside...

Now to what extend that price is good or bad, or right or wrong, that is a very personal decision and only your wallet can judge that...And not saying that the price is right or wrong, all I can tell you is that Edition 9 stopped me for going any further for a while, and I think that if you are able to achieve that goal, any price is somewhat justifiable, as you will not spend anymore on that...Just try to shop smart and get a used pair, a demo, or from the cheaper seller...period...I never paid retail for any of my Editions neither...BTW...
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #33 of 133

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Posts
4,968
Likes
17
^ that's good to hear that you're happy with ED9s.

However, I feel that Ultrasones are not my cup of tea, as I didn't like most of their lineup (pro 750, 2500, 900, HFI 780, and edition 9) Edition 9 was a bit of mixed experience for me, as I liked some qualities yet their presentation was not what I was looking for.

Then again, some people hate AT's with a passion, while I love their signature sound
wink.gif
. I'll look to audition these somewhere, and I'll be interested to how they would stack against different cans around the same price bracket.
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #34 of 133

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
Joined
Nov 29, 2002
Posts
11,830
Likes
24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THe UE11 is a joke in comparison to any Edition heapdhone, sorry, and even accordign to my short experience with them a joke in price comparison to 5 times cheaper IEM's, with a single armature driver...
wink_face.gif


But this Edition 8 simply looks horrible IMO....Where is the sense of design there!!!!...They look like those cheapo hearing protector devices!!!!



Sorry, Sov... but you've never heard the UE11 (neither have I for that matter). Your opinion about them (like mine), means nothing. Zero. Your experience with "them" was not with the UE11. You really shouldn't make such ridiculous posts because by doing so, it undermines your credibility.
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #35 of 133

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Posts
12,885
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, Sov... but you've never heard the UE11 (neither have I for that matter). Your opinion about them (like mine), means nothing. Zero. Your experience with "them" was not with the UE11. You really shouldn't make such ridiculous posts because by doing so, it undermines your credibility.


That is a joke right? Sorry but you are absolutely wrong on that, I have heard both the UE11 and UE10. At Canjam my table was two tables from them...
Sorry to tell you that I will not post misleading info so easily, and you as a moderator should not do this kind of recriminations in public, if you are not sure of what you are saying...and I think that the post that is ridiculous now is yours, not mine...Ask bozebuttons if you like, he was seated besides me sharing them...
confused_face.gif


Now, if you are referring to the fact that I heard them with the universal fit, that is another issue, and you could say so, but I have never said that I have heard them with the custom molds in any place...but IMO the difference should be day and night to justify that uberidiculous price tag...

BTW I do not care a single bit about in what regard others may take my credibility in this hobby (nor is so many other aspects of life in general), sorry, but not a single bit. I'm not a priest that need to be trusted, nor an audio guru by any means, nor a reviewer from any magazine, that live of the opinions. I leave that to those others that believe that have golden ears, or that they are some kind of superheroes, just for having some of the best rigs around, and/or the best experiences in the world, to me this is a hobby, not a pissing match.

BTW I just expressed my personal opinion in a given topic, and you can choose to trust it, take it as a grain of salt, or simply choose to ignore it, as I do with others, but I will not loose my sleep becasue of that, trust me on that...
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #36 of 133

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Posts
12,885
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ that's good to hear that you're happy with ED9s.

However, I feel that Ultrasones are not my cup of tea, as I didn't like most of their lineup (pro 750, 2500, 900, HFI 780, and edition 9) Edition 9 was a bit of mixed experience for me, as I liked some qualities yet their presentation was not what I was looking for.

Then again, some people hate AT's with a passion, while I love their signature sound
wink.gif
. I'll look to audition these somewhere, and I'll be interested to how they would stack against different cans around the same price bracket.



Ultrasone needs a bit of time with you, it is not that you get them on your ears and will feel in love with them...Sorry but I do not know of anybody htat had fall in love with them at fisrt sight, me neither.
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #37 of 133

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Posts
4,968
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone needs a bit of time with you, it is not that you get them on your ears and will feel in love with them...Sorry but I do not know of anybody htat had fall in love with them at fisrt sight, me neither.


me!

It took me exactly 14 seconds to love first AT cans I've ever heard - AD700.
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #38 of 133

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Posts
12,885
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
me!

It took me exactly 14 seconds to love first AT cans I've ever heard - AD700.



I understand that in the case of AT, as a side note, that happen to me with the R-10, with the CD-3K, with the Orpheus system, and with a couple of others, but the Ultrasones are a little different in that regard, they have an unusual presentation, that requires a little bit of time to get used to, nothing else. The S-Logic or whatever they call it, displacing the drivers, create a weird sensation at the beginning...of course if you do not like the overall presentation of the sound, or if you dislike a particular characteristic of their sound, you will never like them, and time will not change that...
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #39 of 133

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Joined
May 11, 2004
Posts
20,139
Likes
9,643
Location
Mid Johor, Malaysia
I remember a rough comment a while back that the UE demo set doesn't fully resemble the real custom set - I have never heard both but that might be a consideration here.

Regardless, one thing that can be more or less confirmed is neither UE nor Ultrasone (nor most, if not all, companies out there) are selling their flagship on a price that refracts only the actual value of material, workmanship, research cost and enough profit to keep company healthy. They are also selling the brand, the image, and the SQ - things that brings more money to the company than all the cost of making the headphone - things that don't come in a real price tag, except for the one they make up themselves... but many of us will still gladly pay for it. If not, why should we sorry about our wallet?
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #40 of 133

mr.khali

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 20, 2008
Posts
567
Likes
16
I really like the new style from what I can see from that picture posted earlier. I personally could never justify paying so much for something that looks so similar to the HD 280 so I have never been drawn to purchasing any of them. Maybe all of their future phones will change as well. Hopefully the price will be more competitive.
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #41 of 133

majkel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2007
Posts
2,783
Likes
57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then again, some people hate AT's with a passion, while I love their signature sound
wink.gif
.



Who? Don't put everything into one bag. I haven't seen a single person in this forum hating the ESW9's, including me. I'd say, I like them.
smily_headphones1.gif
On the other hand, the AT is a master of special and limited edition releases which kind of bothers me.
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #42 of 133

athenaesword

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 22, 2007
Posts
707
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a joke right? Sorry but you are absolutely wrong on that, I have heard both the UE11 and UE10. At Canjam my table was two tables from them...
Sorry to tell you that I will not post misleading info so easily, and you as a moderator should not do this kind of recriminations in public, if you are not sure of what you are saying...and I think that the post that is ridiculous now is yours, not mine...Ask bozebuttons if you like, he was seated besides me sharing them...
confused_face.gif


Now, if you are referring to the fact that I heard them with the universal fit, that is another issue, and you could say so, but I have never said that I have heard them with the custom molds in any place...but IMO the difference should be day and night to justify that uberidiculous price tag...

BTW I do not care a single bit about in what regard others may take my credibility in this hobby (nor is so many other aspects of life in general), sorry, but not a single bit. I'm not a priest that need to be trusted, nor an audio guru by any means, nor a reviewer from any magazine, that live of the opinions. I leave that to those others that believe that have golden ears, or that they are some kind of superheroes, just for having some of the best rigs around, and/or the best experiences in the world, to me this is a hobby, not a pissing match.

BTW I just expressed my personal opinion in a given topic, and you can choose to trust it, take it as a grain of salt, or simply choose to ignore it, as I do with others, but I will not loose my sleep becasue of that, trust me on that...



i've read through the UE11 impressions thread. and frankly, you seem a little too eager to diss them. yeah they're expensive, but saying they sound worse than dynamic phones less than 5 times their price has just got to be BS.

you defend the edition x with the "it's not love at first sight" line, yet you merely heard the UE11s at a meet, and not even the actual version at that. that's hardly what I'd call quality time, or quantity for that matter, yet your conclusions leave no room for the possibility of taste maturing.

the universal and custom may not sound worlds apart, but still, you're giving a fairly definite and harsh critique here; the LEAST you could do is include in your post dissing them that you ONLY listened to the universal. calling them a joke while not even having heard the real thing, frankly, just makes you the joke.

personally, i'd hardly take your comments on the UE11 into consideration for purchase because they're far too negatively polarized to be realistic, but some other new member who has not read your gazillion other posts slamming them, and assumes your 12k+ posts is a representation of your matured opinion on audio, might, and I feel sorry for the guy.

sure, you can say what you want. but is that the kind of attitude this forum's supposed to cultivate? fire off your mouth with baseless comments and say you don't care about your reputation?

c'mon man. grow up.
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #43 of 133

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Joined
May 11, 2004
Posts
20,139
Likes
9,643
Location
Mid Johor, Malaysia
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. On the other hand, the AT is a master of special and limited edition releases which kind of bothers me.


From my understanding, Japanese LOVE all things limited edition!
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #44 of 133

ZephyrSapphire

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Posts
2,192
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've read through the UE11 impressions thread. and frankly, you seem a little too eager to diss them. yeah they're expensive, but saying they sound worse than dynamic phones less than 5 times their price has just got to be BS.


This is Head-fi. Price isn't everything. That's all I can say about what I bolded there.
 
Nov 16, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #45 of 133

Sasaki

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Posts
770
Likes
67
Audition was not take place as the Edition8 is early proto, but I took some pics and I got some more information. Real one looks gorgeous than picture.
Click pictures to enlarge.

The person is Ultrasone CEO Michael Willberg.






E8 is not a limited product but serial number will be printed on the surface.
E8 employs Ruthenium for ear-cup, rarer than Platinum. E8 also employs Titanium for drivers(same as E7/E9). The driver is newly developed for E8.
E8 also employs ULE and S-Logic but the S-Logic of E8 has more offset so better soundstaging would be expected. Ear-cup itself is smaller than E9, but there is enough room inside to ensure expansive soundstage.
Ear-pads are Ethiopian sheep skin, this is also same to predecessors.

Weight is 240g(or 260g, not sure). Freq response 8-35000.
Impedance is 30 ohm. cable length is 1.2m with mini plug (hence portable), it comes with 4m(?) extension cable.
E8 will be launched at the end of March 2009 (April for Japanese market).
MSRP is not determined but street price in Japan would be 130000 yen to 150000 yen.

I made a reservation
smily_headphones1.gif

I will post sound impression whenever I got a chance to try production demo.

Here is a link to more pictures (Japanese).
FUJIYA AVIC blog
FUJIYA AVIC blog:Edition8
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top