Hi all I have a couple of questions about some IEM that I want to get.
Sep 3, 2009 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

oakleyguy89

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Posts
257
Likes
10
Hi, i'm new to these forums and i'm looking into getting some IEM. I currently have the cheap-o skull candy inkd buds/IEMs? I like them but they are starting to distort a bit and don't satisfy my music listening experience. I have done some research and I came over the Altec Lansing UHP336 IEM. I read that they are the exact same thing as the ultimate ears super.fi 3s which have good reviews. I found the UHP336's on amazon for $40 shipped and I want to know how you guys like these IEM and how much of a diference is it going to be from my skullcandys. I love a balance of mids, highs, and some bass. I typically listen to trance like ATB, Dj Tiesto, etc.. I also occasionally like to throw in some rock and alternative. Will these headphones satisfy my needs? Another question I had is when/if I get the phones and I want some more power for them, would pairing them with the fiio e3 amp make a considerable difference? My mp3 that I use pretty much all the time is my 1st gen black 30gig zune. I sometimes, but rarely use my 3rd gen ipod nano. Thanks all for the advice, and help!!
 
Sep 3, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 18

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Posts
10,274
Likes
972
The UHP336 are a huge upgrade from the Ink'd buds, but there are much better IEMs to be had for $40 (thinking of the Meelec Ai-M6 and Head-Direct RE2 here). The UHP's are too sensitive, too boomy, and too harsh to my ears.

Pairing most IEMs with an E3 will not yield particularly good results. The E3 has a lot of flaws - it picks up RF interference, tends to hiss with sensitive IEMs, etc. Definitely not usable with the UHP336. Your Zune has plenty of power for most IEMs. No need to buy an amp just for the sake of amping.

If I were you I'd add the cost of the Fiio to your IEM budget and pick up something a little nicer - Soundmagic PL50s, Maximo Im-590s, Nuforce NE-7m, etc.
 
Sep 3, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 18

big_sound

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Posts
169
Likes
10
I would recommend the shure se110's to you. Trust me, they are great for beginners who don't want something too pricey. They should be about $70 on amazon.com. Also, they isolate very well.
 
Sep 3, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 18

oakleyguy89

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Posts
257
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UHP336 are a huge upgrade from the Ink'd buds, but there are much better IEMs to be had for $40 (thinking of the Meelec Ai-M6 and Head-Direct RE2 here). The UHP's are too sensitive, too boomy, and too harsh to my ears.

Pairing most IEMs with an E3 will not yield particularly good results. The E3 has a lot of flaws - it picks up RF interference, tends to hiss with sensitive IEMs, etc. Definitely not usable with the UHP336. Your Zune has plenty of power for most IEMs. No need to buy an amp just for the sake of amping.

If I were you I'd add the cost of the Fiio to your IEM budget and pick up something a little nicer - Soundmagic PL50s, Maximo Im-590s, Nuforce NE-7m, etc.



out of that list you just metioned like the soundmagic pl50, etc, what are their prices? I want a nice balanced IEM, not the ones that go boom boom with the bass and you can hardly hear the mids/highs (I used to have a pair of vmoda bass freqs to try them out and I didnt like them much at all)
 
Sep 3, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 18

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Posts
10,274
Likes
972
Quote:

Originally Posted by oakleyguy89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
out of that list you just metioned like the soundmagic pl50, etc, what are their prices? I want a nice balanced IEM, not the ones that go boom boom with the bass and you can hardly hear the mids/highs (I used to have a pair of vmoda bass freqs to try them out and I didnt like them much at all)


The Meelec Ai-M6 ($40) are very detailed with good extension on both ends and very punchy and accurate bass. They would be one of my favorite IEMs if not for the awful cables.

The RE2s ($39) are geared towards the high end, with good mids and highs but somewhat anemic bass.

The PL50s ($50) are have a very balanced and laid back sound. They are extremely comfortable and convenient - possibly the easiest to wear and use out of the bunch. Definitely a personal fave.

Maximo Im-590 ($50) are another personal fave. I really like these for the balanced and clear sound as well as for the excellent build quality, accessories, and 2-yr warranty.

Nuforce Ne-7M ($55) are a head-fi top pick. They are also good all-rounders and have strong bass. I don't own them, just auditioned for a few days, so I'm fuzzy on the details.
 
Sep 4, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 18

skeptic

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Posts
1,539
Likes
336
Haven't heard joker's other recommendations, but I like the NE-7m's a whole lot for $50 (particularly after putting a set of Sony ex hybrid tips on them - big improvement in sound quality and comfort).

For the price, they have great transparency, solid bass, decent left/right soundstage, and pretty good treble detail as dynamic iem's go in any event. Definitely a best in class contender.
 
Sep 4, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 18

oakleyguy89

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Posts
257
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Meelec Ai-M6 ($40) are very detailed with good extension on both ends and very punchy and accurate bass. They would be one of my favorite IEMs if not for the awful cables.

The RE2s ($39) are geared towards the high end, with good mids and highs but somewhat anemic bass.

The PL50s ($50) are have a very balanced and laid back sound. They are extremely comfortable and convenient - possibly the easiest to wear and use out of the bunch. Definitely a personal fave.

Maximo Im-590 ($50) are another personal fave. I really like these for the balanced and clear sound as well as for the excellent build quality, accessories, and 2-yr warranty.

Nuforce Ne-7M ($55) are a head-fi top pick. They are also good all-rounders and have strong bass. I don't own them, just auditioned for a few days, so I'm fuzzy on the details.



Cool thanks, the pl50s sound great from what I have read about them and same for the nuforce ne-7ms. do you have a link for a legitimate website for those two from where you got the pricing info as well?
 
Sep 4, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 18

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Posts
10,274
Likes
972
Quote:

Originally Posted by oakleyguy89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool thanks, the pl50s sound great from what I have read about them and same for the nuforce ne-7ms. do you have a link for a legitimate website for those two from where you got the pricing info as well?


Pl50s can be purchased from dealperfect.com. The coupon codes found here still work afaik so they should come out to $50 shipped. The Ne-7M can be purchased from nuforce's amazon.com store.
 
Sep 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 18

oakleyguy89

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Posts
257
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pl50s can be purchased from dealperfect.com. The coupon codes found here still work afaik so they should come out to $50 shipped. The Ne-7M can be purchased from nuforce's amazon.com store.


Cool, how long do they take to ship? And how do I use the codes? Do I just use them when im on the site and purchasing the pl50s?
 
Sep 5, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 18

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Posts
10,274
Likes
972
Quote:

Originally Posted by oakleyguy89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, how long do they take to ship? And how do I use the codes? Do I just use them when im on the site and purchasing the pl50s?


Shipping from HK so it can take 2-4 weeks. And yeah, coupon is entered at checkout.
 
Sep 6, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 18

oakleyguy89

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Posts
257
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got stuff from HK in 2 days.


Wow really? Thats fast, are you in the u.s.? Darn, I cannot decied whether I want the nuforce 7m or the soundmagic pl50s. Do the 7ms ship from HK as well? It would be awesome if I got my headphones in 2 days because im super exited to hear what they sound like!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top