HFI (High Fi International) Appreciation and Rooth Impressions Thread - New online company in Japan
May 15, 2010 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

skoog5600

500+ Head-Fier
Hi head-fiers,

There’s a new company on the block. The company is called HFI (High Fi International). It is an online store located in Japan. You can  order all the usual goodies from Whiplash, ALO RSA etc. The site is in Japanese but if you google it you can translate it to English - http://www.hfi.jp/

The market is meant for Japan, but what is most intriguing are the custom IEMs.

I have been in contact with HFI and he is collaborating with a new company from China called Rooth and representing them for the Japanese market. Let’s just say it is not UM, but from what I can tell and understand the craftsmanship is top notch. It’s not UM, did I say that?

They offer an array of custom molds including 8 driver upgrade and Rooth’s own 8-driver custom IEM called the LS8 - http://www.hfi.jp/?pid=20747710

Dropping a large amount of cash and going directly to China can scare off some people, so working with someone in Japan where customer service and prompt replies are top notch is a good alternative. So it may be good for folks to deal with HFI where they speak Korean, Japanese and English.  My experience with questions has come with prompt returns.

During my process of research, here are some answers from HFI:
Custom IEM Color sheet is provided in email format, but you are able to choose any color and combination you would like.
Turnaround time is 3 – 5 weeks depending upon order.
You can order through the site if you can read Japanese, or also send an e-mail if you want to order or have any questions to Tomo at japanhfi@gmail.com feel free to mention head-fi and skoog and he will send you an order form, answer any questions and take care of you.

I bought a pair of used JH13s and will get custom remolds (cost is 18,500 yen includes shipping) and also I will be purchasing Rooth's LS8 8 driver IEM and will be posting pics and reviews later.

As I mentioned the company is new catering to the Japanese market but willing and hoping to establish relationships with people overseas as well. They will be adding an English version of the site in the future.

Skoog

May 16, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 85
Anyone else have any experience or thoughts on High Fi International?

May 16, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 85
Hold tight and will upload pics and write up a review when they arrive.

May 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 85
isn't the 18500 Yen pricetag for remolding about the same price as from UM or even abit more?

May 17, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 85
The pricing for remolds is a bit more, you are right. But HFI is representing the Japanese market.

Anomalouscode - Yes the 8 driver is about the same price. I will post pics and impressions of both remolds of my 13s and the LS8 8 driver custom when they arrive.

Stay tuned - skoog

May 17, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 85
heh, yeah i had a brainfart earlier....

skoog, are they on the way or are they being built? Just wondering how long before a review 
biggrin.gif

Just thought I'd add this:

Obviously, being in Japan, this piqued my interest so I got in touch with Tomo, and exchanged a few emails. 

Very nice guy, informative and prompt with replies. Great English as well, he's fluent so no language barrier to scare anyone off.

Oh and I found a chinese review of the LS8 : http://bbs.imp3.net/viewthread.php?tid=787139&highlight=LS8

May 17, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 85
Hmm, interesting find.
I guess you confirmed with them that the OEM isn't UM in this case, but I can't shake the feeling that it is. The reference to the Mage made in the description is too direct IMHO. Why not compare to say, UE for example, as it is the obvious reference for the general public, and JHA for more hardcore enthusiasts, like here. Unless UM got a lot of press in the japanese sphere that I haven't heard of. I vote for a Null Audio like relationship with UM as the OEM.

EDIT : Ok my bad, I just saw Anomalouscode's answer and it seems like it's a distinct brand. Well things are moving fast in China, but if a japanese shop vouches for them, it probably means they're worth a try. Good luck Skoog.

May 17, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #10 of 85

Quote:
Hmm, interesting find.
I guess you confirmed with them that the OEM isn't UM in this case, but I can't shake the feeling that it is. The reference to the Mage made in the description is too direct IMHO. Why not compare to say, UE for example, as it is the obvious reference for the general public, and JHA for more hardcore enthusiasts, like here. Unless UM got a lot of press in the japanese sphere that I haven't heard of. I vote for a Null Audio like relationship with UM as the OEM.

EDIT : Ok my bad, I just saw Anomalouscode's answer and it seems like it's a distinct brand. Well things are moving fast in China, but if a japanese shop vouches for them, it probably means they're worth a try. Good luck Skoog.

I admit I was a bit skeptical about it as well thinking it was UM, but over the course of the last few days exchanging e-mails with HFI and working out the details of my order, which by the way has been very smooth thus far with prompt replies, I have come to the conclusion it is not UM. So you are right I think things are moving fast in China.

As for the find, I cannot exactly vouch for the find, I received an initial link from KLS.I only did extensive research and then made initial and continued contact with HFI.

Stay tuned.

skoog

May 17, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 85
FRENCHBAT - I admit I was a bit skeptical about it as well thinking it was UM, but over the course of the last few days exchanging e-mails with HFI, doing some online research and working out the details of my order, which by the way has been very smooth thus far with prompt replies, I have come to the conclusion it is not UM. So you are right I think things are moving fast in China.

As for the find, I cannot exactly vouch for the find, I received an initial link from KLS.I only did extensive research and then made initial and continued contact with HFI.

Stay tuned.

skoog

May 17, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 85
ANOMALOUSCODE - I just placed the order, going in for impressions tomorrow and will send them off this week. So we are probably looking at 3 - 4 weeks.

But will get something up here as soon as they arrive.

This was my experience with Tomo. Good with English, very polite and prompt. I am very excited by this little online gem. And being in Japan, it's even better.

By the way good find on the review of the LS8s. I will take a better look at it this evening

Skoog

May 17, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #13 of 85
For your previewing pleasure, here are some pics of Rooth's LS8 8-driver customs from a review on a Chinese site

http://image161.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/20100420/04/551078232010042004284506.jpg

http://image161.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/20100420/01/55107823201004200148503163898832451_001.jpg

http://image161.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/20100420/01/55107823201004200148503163898832451_000.jpg

May 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 85
so many customs incoming.... just a month ago, I thought the JH13/16 were the best IEM by far but now they are are going to get a run for their money by at least 5 different companies that have become visible in headfi recently :) As usual, waiting for impressions!

May 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 85

Quote:
FRENCHBAT - I admit I was a bit skeptical about it as well thinking it was UM, but over the course of the last few days exchanging e-mails with HFI, doing some online research and working out the details of my order, which by the way has been very smooth thus far with prompt replies, I have come to the conclusion it is not UM. So you are right I think things are moving fast in China.

Stay tuned.

skoog

I'll keep checking this thread as I'm interested in learning a bit more on that opportunity. However given the price, I cannot help but noticing it's almost on par with FitEar (comparing Rooth 6 drivers to the FE333 of course), so in comparison it seems like a risk to me. But maybe it's gonna be very good, and it's gonna be the find of the month
etysmile.gif

Just wondering here, but are you gonna go through this company for your JH13's refit ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back