HFI-780 amp/dac
Jul 7, 2008 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

demoNMaCHiN3

100+ Head-Fier
I received my HFI-780's a couple of days ago but I wasn't very impressed with them. I tried several different sources and found out that the source for these headphones are particularly important. ATM I have them connected to the control box from my Z-2300 and that got rid of most of the buzzing from my onboard soundcard and dampened the harshness of the highs. Do you guys have any recommendations for what amp+dac combo I should use for these headphones? I've been looking at the iBasso D2 Boa and Corda 2Move but I can't choose one. Also, it doesn't matter if it's a portable or desktop amp. Or would it be better to upgrade the soundcard itself and buy something like an Auzentech Prelude? Thanks for your help.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 8
I rather like my Travagan's White hooked up to mine.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 8
unless you really need protbale, there is no point in getting one. a desktop will amost certainly give a better bang for the buck. but, do you want tube or ss?

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 8
When I had my 780, they were really too treble harsh/sibilant. IMO they'd be well suited for a tube amp.

Oh yes, have you also considered a recable? S2 audio offers one for just $100. My old ALO780's were very nice; IMO they were in a totally different league from the Pro 750's (non recabled, considered the better version). You'll still need an amp, but almost everyone says recable makes a pretty big difference. IMO taking $100 out of your AMP/DAC budget to get a recable would make a bigger difference than to not.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I had my 780, they were really too treble harsh/sibilant. IMO they'd be well suited for a tube amp.

Oh yes, have you also considered a recable? S2 audio offers one for just $100. My old ALO780's were very nice; IMO they were in a totally different league from the Pro 750's (non recabled, considered the better version). You'll still need an amp, but almost everyone says recable makes a pretty big difference. IMO taking $100 out of your AMP/DAC budget to get a recable would make a bigger difference than to not.

thanks for the info. i may end up with both an amp/dac and an s2 recable.

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 8
IMO the HFI-780 need a lot of burn in, 300 hours minimum w/ 500 hours better.
biggrin.gif
The high end mellows and the bottom tightens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back