HFI 2200 vs AD700 vs SR80i vs MDR-V700DJ
Oct 1, 2009 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wuha

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers,

This is my first post and I am also new to hi-fi. I bought my first "good" headphone couple of months ago. It was a Koss PortaPro. Now, I want to use the PortaPro on my ipod shuffle only and step up a bit further for my desktop use. I have narrowed down by my options below and I would like to receive recommendation & comments from members:
  1. Ultrason HFI 2200 ULE - $190
  2. Audio Technica ATH-AD700 - $135
  3. Grado SR80i - $165
  4. Sony MDR-V700DJ - $155

The prices are for phones selling in Korea. I chose them because I heard good things about them in head-fi & CNET Review. In addition, my budget is $200. I also checked the prices of my options in Amazon, and only the Ultrasone seems to give me the price advantage. Others are way more expensive than in USA. That's something I'd like to take into account too. So I am wondering whether it is really worth it to go for AD700 or SR80i or MDR-V700DJ.

For more information, I listen to 50% classical music and remaining 50% are pop and rock. I do not own any headphone amp (although I am looking at buying Styleaudio Carat-HD1V or Carat-Peridot to use with my laptop - good prices here in Korea
smily_headphones1.gif
). My main desktop is a Core2Duo machine which I recently upgraded with a dedicated sound card (the Audiotrak Maya MK-II ZENI which can do 44.1/48 KHz analog and 44.1/48/92 KHZ digital, the headphone out is also said to have OPAMP something applied).

Thank you guys in advance.

Sincerely.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 10
Koss Portapros are a terrific headphone, and a great value. So congratulations on picking them as your first 'serious' headphone.

If you like the sound of the PP's, then I would definitely recommend the Ultrason HFI 2200 ULE's. They are reasonably resolving, but still a bit forgiving - a very pleasant listen, and a nice step up from the PP's.

The others mentioned are not in the same league & overpriced where you are, imo.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 10
Thank all for your comments. I am leaning toward the Ultrasone. But I think I will keep a Grado in my wishlist cause "great with electric guitars" is very tempting. Maybe when price is right here, or maybe when I am re-located to somewhere else
smily_headphones1.gif

Just one more question about the Ultrasone. I know it is an open design but I don't know how much sound it leaks (say, comparing to the Koss PortaPro). Could anyone ever heard the Ultrasone HFI 2200 give me an opinion?

Thanks.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 10
Yes, it is an open design. It leaks sound out, and offers no isolation from external sounds. Probably even moreso than the PP's.

If you want more isolation, look for the Pro650's (same driver, closed enclosure design).

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 10
I'd say go with the Grado SR80i, they will give the best sound of the bunch and you don't need an amp to power them. The AD700s are more comfortable and better for games and movies, but not as good as Grado for music.

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 10
I did see that Ultrasone is replacing the 2200 this month. Unless the new headphone is drastically worse, I bet the 2200 price might go down further in the coming weeks.

Ultimately, it's your call.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NSL has one HFI-2200 on clearance at $159.19. I haven't shopped around but that seems like a pretty good price for new considering I sold my last one a few months back for $120.

NSL = Northern Sound & Light? If so, I don't see on their website that they even sell Ultrasone products. Please let me know where you saw that price.

For the OP, the only pair in your list I currently have is the AD700s and I am not too fond of them and am considering getting the Ultrasones as an upgrade. The AD700s are light and comfortable, but the poor bass response and fatiguing highs doesn't work for me.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NSL = Northern Sound & Light? If so, I don't see on their website that they even sell Ultrasone products. Please let me know where you saw that price.

For the OP, the only pair in your list I currently have is the AD700s and I am not too fond of them and am considering getting the Ultrasones as an upgrade. The AD700s are light and comfortable, but the poor bass response and fatiguing highs doesn't work for me.

They don't sell Ultrasone anymore. This is a clearance item so you need to look in their clearance section. You may want to call them. Oh, and yes, NSL = Northern Sound and Light. Sorry for the acronym faux pas.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back