hfb - Zones - 150+ albums to hear in 2014 so far
Sep 10, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #46 of 81
I only recognize two or three of them.  gots to listen to some of them, let the adventure begin...
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the list...
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #47 of 81
  I am so lame and blind I have never heard of a single one of these performers or their albums.

Nor have I....no wait, I have heard of the Sharon Van Etten. Bet every single one was "recorded" on a mac or laptop. But I'm sure he's never heard of anything that I listen to either....

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #48 of 81

Nor have I....no wait, I have heard of the Sharon Van Etten. Bet every single one was "recorded" on a mac or laptop. But I'm sure he's never heard of anything that I listen to either....

That's a very "intelligent" opinion, "well" said.

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #49 of 81
  Without trying to sound rude, haven't you taken quite a lot of inspiration from theneedledrop? Feels like half the choices are albums that he praised in reviews. 
No problem with that per se, but I just think that credit should be given where credit is due.

There's going to inevitably be crossover because many of these albums are popular in music communities. For instance people accused Anthony Fantano of copying Pitchfork because he'd talk about a lot of the same albums, but that logic is silly. Similarly, I may talk about albums Anthony talks about, but that doesn't mean I'm copying him. In fact I like several albums he doesn't and visa versa. Same with Pitchfork.

If I should praise anyone for influencing my musical tastes it should be Aquarius Records, Amazon's recommendations system, my friend Myke C-Town, and a network of music buddies from my days on Live_Journal, back in 2005 before TheNeedleDrop was a thing.

So if I'm going to point people in the directions of places to check out (without saying "record store x" and being accused of being a shill from someone else), I'd say visit your local record stores or communities like this one, so you can talk to a whole bunch of music folks and not necessarily rely on one person's opinion like Anthony Fantano's or mine.

Anyway, peace and love. Stay legend.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #50 of 81
Sep 11, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #52 of 81
Good to see most of you guys have heard of theneedledrops. Around my neck of the woods I say that handle and people give me a blank stare. I rather like that dude, makes me wonder how much vinyl he has stored up in his personal music vault.

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #53 of 81
  Muppet isn't a bro she's a sister

saying "man" to anyone (men and women alike) is just a way of saying things, lol (al least that's how I do it anyways - I hope I didn't offend anyone).
but I didn't know Muppet was a sister, so I'll rectify that in the future. Thanks, DigitalFreak and sorry for the mistake, Muppet!

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #58 of 81
Nice list. I've been tracking all of the albums I've listened to this year in a similar way, and see a lot of overlap between what you've enjoyed this year and what I've enjoyed. Some things on your list that I knew existed and have just completely spaced on listening to, like Murmur, Dead Congregation, Tobacco, and CunninLynguists; so thanks for the reminder! And a few more items I've listened to only once and really, really need to listen to some more. Looking forward to seeing what your final list will look like. I'll probably be doing a similar write-up (though nowhere near as comprehensive, and I tend to mush EPs and LPs together--and I will almost certainly be counting L'Amour as a 'new' 2014 album for the purposes of my list) when the end of the year approaches. Usually a thread pops up for year-end lists somewhere on Head-Fi. Hope you post there, too.Wondering about a few exclusions from your list--maybe you haven't heard them or did hear them and didn't much care for them (or I just plain overlooked them), but I think they're worth checking out if you haven't, and worth checking out in general for anyone else reading this thread:
Keir Neuringer: Ceremonies Out of the Air
Wold: Postsocial
Nasheim: Solens Vemod
Jucara Marcal: Encarnado
Idylls: Prayer for Terrene
Sunn O))) & Ulver: Terrestrials
Aphex Twin: Caustic Window
Have a Nice Life: The Unnatural World
Botanist: Flora
Spoon: They Want My Soul
Timber Timbre: Hot Dreams
Earth: Primitive and Deadly
Saor: Aura
Tune-Yards: Nikki Nack
Indian: From All Purity
Gridlink: Longhena
Pallbearer: Foundations of Burden
Thou: Heathen
Sun Kil Moon: Benji
The War on Drugs: Lost in the Dream
Triptykon: Melana Chasmata
Musk Ox: Woodfall
Fire! Orchestra: Enter

Keep up the good work--love your posts and I like seeing the focus on this site occasionally switching back to music. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back