hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central
Apr 1, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #436 of 713
Wow can't believe this thread's still around! Hope you are all doing well and stuff like that.

Can someone outline to me what the difference between the magni/modi and uber versions are? Is it worth the price difference?

Also, I dunno if you guys remembered, but a long ass time ago I broke the plug on my Sony headphones. Still haven't fixed em because I don't know how / too lazy, I'm using the random samsung IEMs that come with my phone and I honestly am a bad audiophile.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #437 of 713
Now I'm back home and it feels pretty good. The ECT is doing a number on me, and yeah, the memory thingie is a legitimate reason to think twice before going ahead on it. You don't only become senile but it also makes for a desoriented setting wherever you go, you feel lost and surreal. However, it is the most effective thing against suicidal depression I've ever tried. I feel pretty good from a depressive point of view, and I would trade again.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #439 of 713
This thread is pretty quiet compared to the previous Muppet threads, isn't it? It's kind of weird not to see 50+ new posts every day, like I would a few years ago.

Anyway, I would like to reintroduce myself, for those of you (maybe all of you) who have forgotten who I am.

I'm currently an electrical engineering student at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, but after two years of studying this material, I've come to the conclusion that engineering just isn't my thing. Further, I have rediscovered my desire to write, so I have decided to transfer to a liberal arts institute to study English to finish my undergraduate education. Within a week, I should hear from Whitman College, and I have already been accepted to Whitworth University. With luck, I'll arrive at a school which is an appropriate fit for me, starting next semester and will begin to enjoy my education in a way that I don't right now.

Now that I've spoken a little about my background, I would like to invite you to occasionally look at my WritersCafe profile.

I've shared all of these pieces with a couple of people, and as you can see, I've posted them online, but I would like to further expand my audience, if any of you would like to take a look. I've always considered MuppetFace's threads to be one of the more comfortable corners of Head-Fi.

I guess I don't feel as weird putting this here as I'd feel putting it elsewhere in the forums, so here it is, if anyone is interested: http://www.writerscafe.org/CCS/writing/

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #441 of 713
Things are really busy. I'm taking an Embedded Control course this semester. This one course eats up about as much time as a full 16-credit semester. It feels like my partners and I are constantly behind in lab work, even though we're comfortably making all of our deadlines. Getting pretty tired. On the bright side, I only have about four weeks of classes left after this week is over, and then I'll have one presentation, one long lab report and one final exam, and I'll be done here at RPI and get to make that change.

Other than that, still listening to lots of music. Taking a Western Music History course this semester, too. Best decision I've made in college so far.

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #442 of 713
Big change dude!!
Congrats and good luck!

BTW, where is MF?!?
Haven't seen her post in a while.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #444 of 713
I decide to come back and now Romy's burnt out on head-fi instead?

I see a couple familiar faces.  How's it going around here?

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #445 of 713
It's kind of easy to get burnt out on Head-Fi recently. I don't really do a whole lot of posting here anymore, and I'm reminded why on almost a daily basis.

It seems pretty quiet on this thread again. Maybe everybody is a little burnt out.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #446 of 713
MF hasn't posted in this thread in about 4 months going by search. I don't really see her in the usual places either. HF, and the audiophile mill becomes a grind and a drag just going through the equipment forums. It's all the same ol' song and dance over and over unto perpetuity. Hype -> Backlash -> Hype rinse, lather and repeat. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #447 of 713
I quite agree with this analysis, but there are still many good people and sill some nice gear.

Recently I bought a pair of 846 because all my customs suddenly had fit issues and Muppet among others had said they were great. Plus I had tried them if course. Shure often gets bad press for having colored sound, being overpriced and having the highs cut off. Well...as usual, loads of crop. These babies are utterly enjoyable. Of course some people will prefer brighter phones, but they have some of the best bass I have heard, very enjoyable sound and custom like comfort.

The Lotoo Paw Gold is another peace I like buy trying to reduce the gear...

To sum it up, I am still having SOME fun but I wish the old crew would be here more often and bring back the good ol' days when we start talking about food and MF scolds us all.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #448 of 713
Speaking of food, one of the best sushi restaurants in the capital district in New York closed permanently a couple of weeks ago, so now I don't think there are any places within walking distance of my school to get good sushi. It's really unfortunate, because the food was fantastic and didn't cost absurd amounts of money. I think that the location may have been pretty bad for attracting lots of business, though.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #449 of 713
pssstt, if you fill this thread with enough food banter, you will light the MF signal and she'll swoop in to put a stop to it :wink:

I had both fit and impedance issues with the SE846. I loved the presentation and aesthetics of that phone though. The bass was something else too, but in the end, I couldn't get over the upper midrange dip, and the fit was awful for my ears. 

Mim: If you can, see if you can score a listen to the JH Angie. The unit I have at the moment seems to be borked with an imbalance issue, but I've got a second unit coming in soon. Even still, I have to admit, there's some very interesting mojo going on with these phones in terms of treble and vocal reproduction and imaging.

I do miss the days when MF would just nonchalantly declare that she had X TOTL phone coming in lol. Like it ain' t no thing. Miss reading her evolving impressions on stuff too, but eh, she's probably busy with actual important **** these days lol

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #450 of 713

I had both fit and impedance issues with the SE846. I loved the presentation and aesthetics of that phone though. The bass was something else too, but in the end, I couldn't get over the upper midrange dip, and the fit was awful for my ears. 

Mim: If you can, see if you can score a listen to the JH Angie. The unit I have at the moment seems to be borked with an imbalance issue, but I've got a second unit coming in soon. Even still, I have to admit, there's some very interesting mojo going on with these phones in terms of treble and vocal reproduction and imaging.

Works for me, but I am not so demanding on frequency flatness.

I will give Layla and Angie a try, but I am really not liking the aspect / fit. Plus I hate giving JH money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back