hfb - 12.5.14 -- 12.31.14 - Flatland twins lit by fire
Jan 12, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #77 of 85
On the off chance that this is some kind of attention test 
wink.gif
 and as a heads-up to fellow head-fiers:
The front page picture that links to Romy's list shows the (equally excellent) Orchestra of the Upper Atmosphere debut album from 2012, not the "O2" album from her Best Of 2014 list. 

So, if you're lookin for the current album, make sure the cover looks like this:

Btw, @MuppetFace congrats on making the front page. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #78 of 85
  On the off chance that this is some kind of attention test 
wink.gif
 and as a heads-up to fellow head-fiers:
The front page picture that links to Romy's list shows the (equally excellent) Orchestra of the Upper Atmosphere debut album from 2012, not the "O2" album from her Best Of 2014 list. 

So, if you're lookin for the current album, make sure the cover looks like this:

Btw, @MuppetFace congrats on making the front page. 
smile_phones.gif

Where does one actually *find* that album?

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #80 of 85
Jan 13, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #82 of 85

It's available at aquarius records:

http://aquariusrecords.org/

As are a lot of my more obscure recommendations. : )

Perfect and thanks. I guess I also need to sharpen my search engine skills, in addition to listening to more music off-the-grid. Ordering CDs now...

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #83 of 85

The digging is where the fun is at. I love coming across new finds. Like now I am listening to Pye Corner Audio off MuppetFace's list, which is reminding me quite a bit of one of my favourite electronic acts - Boards of Canada. Score!

I would be called a 'music snob' by a lot of my friends but that is only because I put in a lot of time listening and searching for music and through which have more specific tastes re what I like. I think the more time you put in it is natural that you move further from the central point of the mainstream, its just part of exploring. That is not to say that mainstream music is by default devoid of anything good - I wouldn't know really as I don't really listen to the radio.

A few years back my wife and I had some friends over and they asked me what music I had been listening to recently, I said Autechre, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada - it's called IDM. When they asked what IDM stands for and I told them 'Intelligent Dance Music' my position as a music snob was solidified because I listen to 'intelligent' music. I played them some Autechre - Confield - didn't go down so well. On the other hand with a lot of my other mates (who have decent taste in music) if I hit them up to go to some obscure gig they haven't heard of they usually say yes as they know I put in the time and come across the gems - ala Ben Frost and Tim Hecker this weekend.

I often call the same bands/artists intelligent dance music.

Since EDM went mainstream - the friends that I raved with in the early 90's (when it was still underground) seem allergic to the term!

@MuppetFace:

This is such a fantastic list,
HATS OFF!

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #84 of 85
  NIIICE!!!!

Gotta let us know how this went! PIX??

The Tim Hecker and Ben Frost gig was really cool, kinda hard work but worth it. It was pretty much the opposite of easy listening. For Tim Hecker he played in complete darkness other than a little pen light type of thing that was next to his gadgetry. It was 40 minutes of a THICK wall of sound, many times I could feel the bass rumbling through the chair and my whole body. It was both meditative/relaxing and totally punishing at the same time. Quite a few people left after 10-15 minutes. Intermission, then Ben Frost. Behind a desk with his gadgets he also used a guitar and then behind him was half a dozen strobe lights. The rest of the concert hall was all black except for the strobe lights behind him, which didn't let up for the whole set. I thought the relentlessness of the strobe lights added to, and suited the set, but a couple of my friends found the constant strobe lights to be pretty much torture. Ben Frost's music was intense and awesome. In the same vein as Aurora and With Teeth but just more intense.

A pretty punishing but satisfying gig.

On other matters, re Muppetface's list I am really enjoying Gum Takes Tooth and Ratking. I meant to pickup the Ratking album earlier in the year but didn't get a round to it. It is some very raw and fresh hip hop, on first listen I wasn't feeling Wiki's flow but now I REALLY like it.

I also picked up some K3003's last week and gave Caribou's album another try, and with these iem's I kind of like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back