HF1
Mar 26, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 28
They couldn't stay at $400 anyway because it makes too much sense to spend that much on a used RS-2, or spend the extra $50 and get them new. I wasn't surprised at all to see the HF-1 make several appearances in the "Overrated Headphones" thread.

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..but found it humerous your comments on the design aspect of the mixed medium on the HF series..when your avy clearly depicts a 325i from Grado..which is too part metal part plastic.

How different is wood and plastic from metal and plastic, not a huge reach I imagine.

Asthetically the color of materials in the 325, 325i and MS2i blend in to look good, but I am sorry to say that the HF-1 looks mismatched and tacky IMHO. Grado could have changed the color of the plastic components from black to another color.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asthetically the color of materials in the 325, 325i and MS2i blend in to look good, but I am sorry to say that the HF-1 looks mismatched and tacky IMHO. Grado could have changed the color of the plastic components from black to another color.

no worries..opinions will vary. Good luck.
Read up on the HF series..Grado went out of its way to make this phone a reality for Headfiers as it is/was...and am thankful for the phone to be released in any color or number of units in production, the way I see it.

Johh, specifically wanted to create a unique phone that more people could afford on the boards, and therefore was specifically modified with Headfi members in mind. I applaud John for bringing this special phone to be, as there are no other headphone Mfr's to date that I can easily recall that have done this in one form or the other..
to each his own,

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

And metal and plastic aren't tacky? (325, 325i, ms2, ms2i)

How is black (plastic) and gold/silver any less gaudy than brown (wood) and black?

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by humzebra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that some have gone for $400 +

On ebay you still may be able to find someone willing to pay that high a price, but after you factor in listing and final closing fees, plus Paypal, you're right at the true head-fi going rate of $325-350 anyhow.

No one is going to pay $400 on head-fi. There are just too many available for less.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 28
eBay is hardly the final word in terms of valuations. There just a few people who are willing to go all out just to get a piece of something and they're hardly representative of the sane population.

In general, if you want to sell something fairly sought-after for more than it is actually worth, your best bet would be to sell it on eBay.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #22 of 28
hm.. well, you can get used rs2 for 350ish.. which would sound similar to woody hf1s.. with maybe a bit of more details and so on
rolleyes.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm.. well, you can get used rs2 for 350ish.. which would sound similar to woody hf1s.. with maybe a bit of more details and so on
rolleyes.gif

I can get new RS2s for $375 and new RS1s for $550 and I just sold a pair of SR80 for $150 last week.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't really, maybe not even from listening. The only way of checking would be to send it to Grado Labs for verification.

This story has been getting a lot of play on Head-Fi recently and while it's true that someone has been trying to pass of a pair of high-end Grados (HP-1?) on Ebay with RS-1 drivers I believe they came from the factory that way, or were modified by Grado as a repair. The only reason that I say this is that I've tried to remove a driver from a Grado enclosure before, it's nearly impossible unless the glue is dried from old age. No HF-1 is going to be in that condition after 1 year. So I think it'd be a pretty safe bet that the drivers are original. However, there's no reason to get in a bidding war on Ebay when as others have pointed out there are pairs selling for less here in the FS forums right now.

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

I can get new RS2s for $375 and new RS1s for $550 and I just sold a pair of SR80 for $150 last week.

Do you mind if I ask where/how you got those prices? I'm interested specifically in the RS2's.

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #26 of 28
I thought the price was a little out of hand but I finally decided to drop about that much on a mint set and I am satisfied with my purchase.

HF1s + Flats is almost all I need for most music.

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #27 of 28
I don't think the going price is unreasonable. Its a special limited edition headphone that has a completely unique driver, special design, with only a few hundred made. Other limited editions with only simple changes, like a different color (the red Sennheiser 595 comes to mind) have gone for more and no one seems to complain. Plus, why do people say the HF-1 is a modified SR-225? Just because they initially went for the same price? the driver and housing are completely different. Should I say that the SR-225 is a modified SR-60 then because they share the same characteristics except the drivers.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #28 of 28
An HF-1 is worth $400 in my opinion (no, I'm not selling one
icon10.gif
). I've done a lot of comparisons between the HF-1, HHF-1, RS-2, and RS-1. The RS-1 and RS-2 have more detail and instrument separation, but the HF-1 does a better job at providing some fullness and that sense of "punch".

They're not perfect, and I've tried upgrading past them several times, but I haven't found a funner replacement yet. It's overall tone is also easier on the ears for someone with tinnitius issues as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back