HF-1s?
Mar 17, 2006 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

roguedog

New Head-Fier
What do they sound like? Just wondering .. Why all the hype?

Tks

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by roguedog
What do they sound like? Just wondering .. Why all the hype?

Tks

Do a search as there has been extensive reviews of the HF-1s. In short the HF-1s to me sounds airy and natural with a good level of detail and soundstage. They are also limited edition.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 22
"Why all the hype?"

Because they are likely the best low cost John Grado ever made. At the $200.00 original price they were one of the best headphone bargains ever!

- augustwest

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 22
Now if you have ever listened to Grados you will realize its not for everyone. Its a love or hate thing. The grado tone is just, well that Grado. If you like it, the you are obsessed with the sound. Now, the open headphones have always been known as great cost-effective phones due to their design. But, everyone is still amazed and how much sound you get out of a SR-225, which is $200. It was rated as the best sounding headphone if you factor in cost by many. Now, take this headphone, and deliciously add wood flavors to it, something rarely used that is mostly seen on $1,000 cans as of the like of the RS-1. The tone is just completely different and so beautiful with wood. Its warmer and moist. Not, take added wood, plus a signature by John Grado himself, which might as well be god. And you can see that many of us would have piad $400 for it, as many have. But, then add the fact that at half the price with money going towards these forums, these are the best headphones out there for less than probably $500 and you can't say no. I mean for the price these cans are just phenemonal, I am so happy I got a pair because now that bug will only itch for cans of real pedicure and price, of such a high cost that my wallet would be larger enough to hold it. So, its safe to say this will be my only headphone for awhile in true UNHead-fi style, but what can I say I love them that much that they are all I need.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 22
HF-1's are the first sub-$500 Grado's I've enjoyed listening to using the standard bowl pads, without going through bass withdrawal.

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 22
That's great that they are $200, but if they are so limited that you can't get them then....

Or can we easily buy them?

Are they better than RS-1?

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 22
I agree with all that has been said here. I can't compare them to the 225s, because I went from the SR-80s, to the MS2, to the HF-1 and I couldn't be happier with these. They just sound great to me; fun and involving, more bass than the previous two cans (without a dedicated amp this is important for me!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back