Hey smart computer/video/HT guys
Oct 13, 2002 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dusty Chalk

Head-Fi-holic: With headphones would just be a benny.
I was wondering if I could save US$200 (cost of a new 13" flat screen television). Is there a way that I can convert the RCA out of my DVD player into the SVGA input of my computer monitor? I already have access to the audio signal, I just need access to the video signal. Is there a pre-existing cable that does this? Is it just a cable, or do I have to figure something else out?

Oct 13, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 10
The box that does that is anywhere from $100 to $200, or much higher of you want better quality and/or line doubling to avoid the flicker that you'd see otherwise. Buying the TV is probably your best bet.

Oct 13, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 10
Your computer monitor accepts a standard S-video signal? I think a RCA-Svideo cable arrangement should be possible, but I haven't seen one. Alternatively, you could install one of those TVPC cards that lets you display TV input in a window.

Oct 14, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 10
I'd go for a nice capture card. Practically anything made by hauppauge(sp?). The 401 card is especially nice. Stay away from USB/the PVR model.

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 10
The ViewSonic uses passthrough to get the video signal from your video card to the monitor, and it SERIOUSLY degrades the quality. I would get a headache staring at the monitor for only 30 seconds. This is okay if you're just using the monitor as a TV, but if you're going to use it for a computer (which most people are), stay away from the ViewSonic!

Oct 15, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I'd go for a nice capture card. Practically anything made by hauppauge(sp?). The 401 card is especially nice. Stay away from USB/the PVR model.

Actually, I was hoping it was just a matter of tying some pins together. I still may look at a box (yes, with a line doubler -- I don't want to be annoyed or get a headache, I get that enough at work with the flicker rate conflicts between my monitor and the overhead lights) or a capture card for the necessity of space -- I just don't have room for a TV, even a small one...

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 10
dustychalk, this might be what you need:

http://www.dvdirect.com/shop/product.asp?sku=TVO5035

I used to use this with a 21" monitor when I had just arrived in the USA, before I got a TV.

I'm not using mine. If you want it I will send it to you and you can try it out. If you like it then we can work out a fair price. If you don't you can send it back.

Oct 16, 2002 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 10
I'd echo for the capture card... Not only will it solve your problem but it will allow you to do so much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back