Hey Jeremy Roenick...
Jun 29, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
You are too funny...the folks living in NYC right now know everything about sushi, nothing about the Isles...you gotta cross a bridge to get to that fan-base. But, for those of us who hang in NYC, ya gotta love the Rangers.
like it says at MSG...This is our Town
icon10.gif

But relocated to nassau.....
rs1smile.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19

I really miss hockey. I wish I grew up in canada just for that.

Damn you realy love it. I should make you an honorific canadian citizen...
biggrin.gif

So repeat after me:

«I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.»

It's done....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Oh yeah and not let's forget the save Richter made on the Russian Rocket or more like the Russian Crock.

And before I go off to bed you had a fantastic 2 game lead against detroit in the 02 playoffs. Once lidstrom blasted the redline goal your team collapsed faster than Patrick Roy in Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals.

Phew! Feel much better now. Hockey Lives!!!!

Hey We had a lead, but weren't even supposed to win. You guys were first and we were 8th. Roy may have collapsed but he is still the most winningist goaltender of all time and he has tons of rings to prove it. I don't remmeber any Red Wings goalies with that many rings.

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigs
I don't remmeber any Red Wings goalies with that many rings.

Before GoRed kick your behind on that last one: TERRY SAWCHUK !!!!
In fact he has one more ring than Patrick....
wink.gif

Amicalement

P.S. OK Pat has more wins but.....

Terry:

Member of Stanley Cup-winning Detroit Red Wings, 1949-50.
Member of Stanley Cup-winning Detroit Red Wings, 1951-52.
Member of Stanley Cup-winning Detroit Red Wings, 1953-54.
Member of Stanley Cup-winning Detroit Red Wings, 1954-55.
Member of Stanley Cup-winning Toronto Maple Leafs, 1966-67.
---------------------------------------

Patrick:

Member of Stanley Cup Champion Montreal Canadiens, 1986.
Member of Stanley Cup Champion Montreal Canadiens, 1993.
Member of Stanley Cup Champion Colorado Avalanche, 1996.
Member of Stanley Cup Champion Colorado Avalanche, 2001.

Jun 29, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #20 of 28
Back on thread...as a fan for 14 of my 16 years in the States ( 1st year had no clue what hockey was till my new wife made a big mistake and took me to an Amerks game...hooked right then and there, and last year they lost me ) I can't believe those plonkers on either side couldn't get it figured out. JR's comments, even though he's now said they were taken out of context, are just so dumb as to be almost mind-boggling. Well as an EX-Sabre fan ( and let me tell you it they are a tough team to support..Muckler, Nolan, Dominator et al sometimes they're like a soap opera ) he has no need to worry about me ever giving a rats a** about his league again. I will be happy as a clam heading down to watch my Amerks, and kids who really want to try and who are certainly not playing for the money...at least not yet.

-Nac...

Jun 29, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #21 of 28
They are a few players I rate highly but would never give them the time of day. Some of them have done far worst than JR.

Eric Lindros- Drafted first overall refuse to play for the Nordiques and sat out a year. Sure he was a brilliant punishing forward like Bertuzzi. But once Steven laid the smackdown on his arse. Tuned into the mommy's boy he is known for.

Patrick Roy- I have rarely witness the goaltending skills as Roy displayed in the 93 playoffs. Maybe the finest piece of Goaltending by us mere hockey fans. Fast forward to 1996. Detroit goes to the forum and the redwings snipers put 8 past the Le habitants. Roy was in goal for all of them. Feeling utterly humilliated in front of the forum fans he went up to the coach (Habs fans help me out here) and stated "That's the last ever game I play in a Canadiens shirt" 3 days later he was traded to Colorado (*spit*) and won the stanley cup that year. Montreal ever since have never what I consider a contender.

Kris Draper/Claude lemieux incident- The famous check which broke Drapers Jaw. What really annoyed me besides the check was that after the game. Several Detroit players went looking for lemieux in the parking lot and confronted lemieux. It was seen by his terrified young child and wife.

Joe Sakic-As told by my hockey professor Mr. Genetic. When asked about his reaction that the Nordiques were folding and relocating to Colarado (*spit*) and would he missed the fans, he replied "I go wherever the paycheck is". The fact he won it the following year with Colorado is to every nordiques fan disgust.

Which brings me onto Mr. JR. Remember when he was bad mouthing Roy in the playoffs. Roy replied "JR can mouth me all he wants, But I can't hear him as I have both my stanley cup rings in my ears"

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Patrick Roy- I have rarely witness the goaltending skills as Roy displayed in the 93 playoffs. Maybe the finest piece of Goaltending by us mere hockey fans. Fast forward to 1996. Detroit goes to the forum and the redwings snipers put 8 past the Le habitants. Roy was in goal for all of them. Feeling utterly humilliated in front of the forum fans he went up to the coach (Habs fans help me out here) and stated "That's the last ever game I play in a Canadiens shirt" 3 days later he was traded to Colorado (*spit*) and won the stanley cup that year. Montreal ever since have never what I consider a contender.

Every super goaltenders have a very bad night. During that game the coach (Mario Tremblay) was trying to «brake» Roy , à la Scotty Bowman, and Roy was, rightly so, feeling so humiliated that he «lost it» in front of the team executives who were sitting in the first row behind the coach.

Later this historic incredibly bad trading move got the head of the coach.

EDIT: In that case Roy was not to blame. The rookie coach was trying to establish himself on his back. It was a classic power struggle between a coach and a superstar player. Braking players.....Bowman was the supreme master of that unpopular field.

Amicalement

P.S. Few months ago we had a sport «media festival» about the tenth aniversary of the Nordiques transfer to Colorado. Ouch...it's still bleeding
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #23 of 28
I think Roenick is being demonized for comments that the media is taking out of context. The sad state of hockey. The only way to get anything out of it right now is to sensationalize and take things out of context. I've read both sides of the story, and given what I know about the media, I'm gonna have to side with JR on this one. I can't possibly know what his real intentions are, but he at least _seems_ like he just wants to cut through the BS and get everyone back on the ice. He just speaks with cander and refuses to play politics. Shrug, admirable quality if you ask me.

Man, I really miss hockey. First the season gets canceled. Then my local CHL team didn't make the playoffs for the first time in 5 seasons.

I can only hope hockey makes a comeback, but I almost don't want to see it in the hands of the current NHL owners and NHL players association.

Have you seen some of the rule changes they are proposing? None of these are cemented, but they are being tossed around as ideas to make the games more high scoring and attract new hockey fans.

1. Getting rid of the red line. No more two line passes. Eh, this one isn't SO bad, but it's going to actually slow the game down if you ask me. No longer can D man like Lidstrom camp at the top of the slot for dash in's or huge rips. No, they will have to stay back in case of a D break out because a two line pass could easily catch a cherry picker for a break away.

2. Tag up offsides. You'd no longer have to wait for the opposing team to coross the puck back on the blue line after being offsides. Your team just needs to "tag-up" across the blue line and you can run back to steal the puck. Again, this will slow down the game. All you have to do now is just apply pressure in the neautral zone, get the puck, dump, chase, dump, tag up, rinse repeat. It's going to turn the entire 3rd period into defense in the NZ if one side is ahead. Sure it might make for a few snazzy steals followed by a break away goal. But seriously, most players won't take that kind of risk.

3. Zero tolerance infractions on the puck handler. Bah.... I'm all for calling a clean game, but this means you couldn't even make contact with the player. All you'd be able to do is poke check the puck. Any other contact would be a stoppage of play and a face off in your zone, or a penalty. This is just dumb.

4. The goalies pads are getting trimmed down. They are saying the goalies are too good and no one wants to see a shut out. ********! I love when I see goalies getting to be the stars of the game because they locked down the game. All they want to do is start another goal / point race to break all the existing records. The home run race brought back baseball, and it might do the same for hockey. While that's good in a sense, you should earn those records and not beat them because of rule changes. Boooo!

All these cats are complaining that goal scoring has gone down and that's not generating excitement. While I can see the arguement, I don't agree. I like a defensive game. Some of my favorite players have been defensemen. Chris Chelios, Paul Coffee, Derian Hatcher, and of course ole Nicky Lidstrom just to name a few of the legends. These guys play good D and can pick up O just as good. The D man are the most talented and important players in game if you ask me. They just don't get as much credit because they are not racking up the insane points.

Well maybe the reason scoring is down D has stepped up, or the goalies have too. Or maybe it's because the teams are playing dump and chase too much when you're up by two goals. Why risk your star player trying to get him a hat when you've already won? Bah. That's how the great one did it, play time. Jagr just sliced and diced everyone. I'd say Iginla is just as good as those guys, but his play time isn't as high. Because the Flames are scared of losing him.

Man, bring back hockey, but don't turn it into basketball.

end hockey rant... I just miss my sport
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
4. The goalies pads are getting trimmed down. They are saying the goalies are too good and no one wants to see a shut out. ********! I love when I see goalies getting to be the stars of the game because they locked down the game. All they want to do is start another goal / point race to break all the existing records. The home run race brought back baseball, and it might do the same for hockey. While that's good in a sense, you should earn those records and not beat them because of rule changes. Boooo!

(

I'm not terribly versed in hockey, but if the same thing happens in hockey as does other sports, aren't the current pads used by goalies bigger than many years ago, and by reducing the pad size, the goalies would have gear on par with previous generations? Be that the case, see how good the goalies truly are, similar to ballplayers who use nets they call "baseball gloves", and even then, they can't play the field to save their lives.

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 28
EyeAmEye, that's a good point. It would require the goaltenders to step up and have to earn shut outs.

I dunno, maybe I just don't like rule changes. I'll reserve judgement until I actually see it happen. But I think all these things designed to increase the pace and scoring of the game will actually slow it down. My reasoning is like when I see a slower team play a team with forwards who have major wheels.

Like, for example, a Detroit vs Philly or Tampa Bay line up. Detroit has a lot of power, and a defensive line up forced to be reckoned with. But they aren't really known for speed. Sure Stevey Y can turn it on when he needs to, but he seldom does he's a very calculated player, and he's starting to show age. So what does Detroit do when they face a team that has tons o wheels like the Lightning? They play lots of Neutral zone pressure and generally slow the game down to their pace. So if the game is sped up all the way around, I think more teams will adopt a high pressure NZ dump and chase type game.

That's just my take though, who knows, it could make the game better. Like I said I should probably reserve judgement until I see it.

Jun 30, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 28
I think the no redline rule is very interesting. It could be beneficial or detrimental. While blueliners no longer could join the rush that would free up more room in the neutral zone creating more space for forwards to enter the opposing teams end.

I would like to go about restructuring the game at organisation level rather than the game itself although there are a few which are needed.

Redrafting the whole NHL. Teams like Detroit, Rangers, Avs (*spit) will allows have money to bring in the "best". Random lottery Draft pick. Introduce a salary cap.

Also eliminate agents for players. Then it is up to clubs to negotiate terms directly with players and within the means of the teams salary caps. If a player is not willing to play for $$$$$ offered then he doesn't play, period. Any player which has a natural talent for the game and as they like to say often "It's for the love of the game" can prove it by accepting a contract from a team.

Reduce the number of teams entering the playoffs to 6 for the western conference and 6 for the easter conference. This would make teams if they are know going to do bad to try more.

In 1983 there were rumours that the Pittsburg Penguins team deliberately lost their remaining matches to secure No.1 draft pick overall. And as everyone knows that was "le magnifique" or as I call him "meatstick".

I would like to see player infractions out of play not called. But obviously things such as elbowing, high sticking must.

I like to see players like Bertuzzi, Domi, Tucker who use cheap shots to face a remainder of the season+playoffs ban. Hockey is such a great game and these kind of players belong in the Ultimate fighting championships than hockey. No appeals. Zero tolerance for thuggery.

Increasing the area behind the net area might be a good idea as it would give more creative players to shine.

Oh nearly forgot, Giving me one of those executive boxes at the Joe would go down well with me as well
rolleyes.gif

Genetic>The problem with trembolay was he was broken by Bowman. He thought he could do the same. Bowman was different. You either played for bowman or you didn't play at all. Players might of hated and despised him but there was always respect for him. He knew how to make a team win, and win often.

Look at bellievue, Orr, Clarke, bossy, Cournoyer, Dryden, etc. Nobody had to show them the door when their time was up. They had class, they were golden.

Jun 30, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Genetic>The problem with trembolay was he was broken by Bowman. He thought he could do the same. Bowman was different. You either played for bowman or you didn't play at all. Players might of hated and despised him but there was always respect for him. He knew how to make a team win, and win often.

Bowman was profoundly hated by his players and respected he was no doubt about it. But fear was the key element in his way of doing things. Bowman showed no mercy but he had so many great players during his coaching career. He almost shut down the career of Guy Lafleur at the beginning of his career. An incredible stupid gamble with one of the most talented player in the game history....
eek.gif

Jacques Lemaire went to same school as Mario Tremblay but he choose a different approach with his Devils. He had much more success than Tremblay.

What was the topic of this thread again.....
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Jun 30, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #28 of 28
Genetic>I like Ron Wilson coaching wise. He is the total opposite to Bowman but players respond well to him.

But his laid back, nice guy attitude is his downfall come showtime.

When the devils beat the redwings 4-0 in 95 even Bowman found it difficult to accept it. By that time he had already won 7 seven Stanley cups that's how much he wanted to win even then. His will to win and the drive.

One of the saddest things besides Orr and Bossy was the treatment of Lafleur. I think it was Jacques Lemaire who reduced lafleurs playing time to almost non existant levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back